Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

You can only upgrade to Win 10 on an existing windows installation, meaning you can't do a clean install (ie. format the drive), I re-installed Win 7 on my laptop, formatted it and didn't install any updates after it finished, then upgraded the newly installed Win 7 to Win 10. Took a while but its the cleanest the HD has been in ages. If you don't want to faff around with re-installed operating systems then ccleaner does a reasonable job in cleaning a drive. I think you have to buy a licence to do a new install of Win 10 on a hard drive without an existing copy on Windows on it.

What a fvcking joke.... ive reset it and now its useless, Msoft can kiss my hairy ar$e if they think im giving them any more money, ill either find a torrent or try Ubuntu. Cvnts*

*My arse isnt actually hairy  :thumbup:

What a fvcking joke.... ive reset it and now its useless, Msoft can kiss my hairy ar$e if they think im giving them any more money, ill either find a torrent or try Ubuntu. Cvnts*

*My arse isnt actually hairy  :thumbup:

If you want to try Linux then I can recommend Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/  

If your Win 10 is fvcked after attempting to clean it can you do a system restore to at least get you back to how it was? If you can't recover Win 10 then you may have to install your PC's original OS then re-install 10.

*My arse isnt actually hairy :thumbup:

A lot easier using those other means, you have a legit copy but Microsoft just make life so much harder with all the rubbish they put in place... downloading removes that rubbish

If your Win 10 is fvcked after attempting to clean it can you do a system restore to at least get you back to how it was? If you can't recover Win 10 then you may have to install your PC's original OS then re-install 10.

sadly there is NOTHING to restore from or to... i turn the comp on and all i get is a black screen with the words..."an operating system wasnt found. Try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an operating system". "press crt alt del to restart"

Ive dloaded ubuntu, put it on a stick... but its not finding thst either grrr :(

The original OS came preinstalled, so i dont have a disc or anything, ive tied downloading Ubuntu, put it on a stick but it wont load, ive not tried anything like this before so if you have any suggestions or help that would be most appreciated.

The screen is black but for the words mentioned above, i have an old XP disc but when i try using that it just defaultd to a bsod and when i try to work off the stick with ubuntu, it just says missing operating system.

sigh.. bloody technology lol

If you have Ubuntu on a disc or USB stick you have to get your PC to boot from that rather than the hard drive, pressing F8 when you start the PC gets you to a list of hardware you can boot from normally (maybe different depending who makes your PC). 

'Operating system not found' message aint good, hard drive failed or perhaps your spring cleaning of your PC was a bit much and you've deleted important system files

• 2 weeks later...

Just  had a window  pop up reminder about it. Still not sure what to do.

According to two experts  on here,  one says it is good the other says it is not. I am even more confused than before.

So do you have to save data and programs or just load 10 on top?

Just  had a window  pop up reminder about it. Still not sure what to do.

According to two experts  on here,  one says it is good the other says it is not. I am even more confused than before.

So do you have to save data and programs or just load 10 on top?

You don't have to back up but I always back up my more essential data whenever I'm upgrading my OS. 

But if you're not too bothered just go straight ahead with the installation.

Just installed it. Things seem a bit faster ATM. Did anyone else get

It;s taking a bit longer than usual,but it will be done soon?

Just wondered if it was just mine. Not looked at all the features but all my bookmarks seem OK.

So far so good. Some of the new features are on my phone like Cortina and onenote but I do not use them all. They are there but only as a back program.There are films and TV programs to rent and buy. Don't know if there are any free but I doubt it knowing MS. My desktop is the same. Still got Pearson holding the Manager of the Month award. Need to get one of Ranaeri or Vardy.

• 2 weeks later...

The original OS came preinstalled, so i dont have a disc or anything, ive tied downloading Ubuntu, put it on a stick but it wont load, ive not tried anything like this before so if you have any suggestions or help that would be most appreciated.

The screen is black but for the words mentioned above, i have an old XP disc but when i try using that it just defaultd to a bsod and when i try to work off the stick with ubuntu, it just says missing operating system.

sigh.. bloody technology lol

You almost certainly need to tell your PC to boot from the OS on yr USB stick and not from the hard drive.

As soon as you turn on you need to quickly hit a key combination (which differes from PC to PC) but if often f8 or somehting like that.

That will take you into the BIOS. You need to navigate with the keys (not mouse - this is very low level, old-fashioned stuff) until you find the rules for boot. Again, using your keys, set it so it boots from USB first.

Then save it - usually by hitting f10.

It should then boot from Ubunto

Windows is sh*t. Actively spys on you, logs every keystroke, all your personals including bank/credit card details, maps your activities, stores your search history...this list could go on all day. It's a shit operating system with closed coding, it's extremely heavy, full of spyware/malware, extremely prone to viruses/worms/backdoors, the organisation does not support OpenSource or free software and they charge a fortune for it. Unfortunately it's pre-loaded onto 98% of all shop purchased computers/laptops and 'windows' is so engrained into the psyche of western civilisation than 99.9% of people are to lazy to look for an alternative and simply believe that this is how an operating system 'should work'. Linux is 1million times better in pretty much every department, it's nigh on impossible to pick up spyware/malware and slow down and break if properly maintained. It does everything Windows does and in most cases much better, oh and everything is completely free. The software is opensource for all programmes, so it's written by the public, modified by the public, the source code is entirely viewable and changeable and it is not packaged up for you by the tech geeks at microsoft, locked in a box of dirty tricks that is not viewable in code form by ANYBODY outside of microsoft and does therefore not contain any nasties.  Microsoft is a disgusting organisation and has the ethics of a rapist.

Just my opinion though.

PS. I suggest those of you using windows 10 modify it with the following http://www.techtimes.com/articles/73725/20150802/windows-10-spies-on-you-by-default-heres-how-to-opt-out.htm

Oh, and if anyone is interested in linux, take a look at Mint 17.2. It's designed with ex windows users in mind and is extremely easy to install and run and work on etc. Linux is not just for tech geeks, it's not 1992 anymore and if anybody doubts linux/unix, Android amongst many other things is linux. So is Mac - but that's a whole different story.

Be a bit more generous to yourself - these observations abour micro$oft are not just your opinion, they are hard verifiable fact. (Writtten on my Lenovo X300 running Linux Mint)

So far my Windows 10 is running OK. Everything was loaded back on as far as I am aware. Although I could not find some pictures I thought were installed. (secret service?) this morning. I found them on Facebook so no problem. They were only poems printed on a picture background.

My notebook laptop is a bit full and I was advised not to install the upgrade as it may not take it.

So far my Windows 10 is running OK. Everything was loaded back on as far as I am aware. Although I could not find some pictures I thought were installed. (secret service?) this morning. I found them on Facebook so no problem. They were only poems printed on a picture background.

My notebook laptop is a bit full and I was advised not to install the upgrade as it may not take it.

Get rid of some stuff Rince, so your notebook isn't as full, so you can upgrade. Microsoft said they'll be upgrading people's OS to Windows 10 next year so I'm guessing all Windows 7/8 users will be prompted to install 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if they have a similar promo in the UK, but over here in the US they've been offering loads of movies, music and apps for 10 cents as a 'thank you' for downloading Windows 10.  Should be a link on the upper left of your lock screen.

Not sure if they have a similar promo in the UK, but over here in the US they've been offering loads of movies, music and apps for 10 cents as a 'thank you' for downloading Windows 10.  Should be a link on the upper left of your lock screen.

Not  seen anything pop up. Is it the starter menu?

Not  seen anything pop up. Is it the starter menu?

Mine was a small icon in the upper left corner of the computer's lock screen, the one before you enter your user password. If not, it should be featured on the Microsoft store if you go to the apps and music sections.

Re the Task Bar

I've always just had the time showing in the bottom right corner but this morning I must have clicked on something as it opened up a 'big full' calendar which i shut down.

Now I'm left with not just the time showing but the day and the date which means the task bar is twice as wide as normal.

How do I change it back to just the time showing? 

• 2 weeks later...

Re the Task Bar

I've always just had the time showing in the bottom right corner but this morning I must have clicked on something as it opened up a 'big full' calendar which i shut down.

Now I'm left with not just the time showing but the day and the date which means the task bar is twice as wide as normal.

How do I change it back to just the time showing? 

Hmm, no one can help then.

Try this one.

I've got an Android phone,Samsung S3 mini.

I've taken a couple of videos on it seemingly mp4,when I connect the phoe to my lap top Win 10 it doesn't even see them.

I never had this problem before with previous Windows.

On my phone they a visible with the photos in the Gallery but only the photos show on my lap top.

I couldn't get them to go via bluetooth and had to resort to Google Drive which is a pain in the ass as I then have to download them to my pc files.

Any thoughts on this?

Try this one.

I've got an Android phone,Samsung S3 mini.

I've taken a couple of videos on it seemingly mp4,when I connect the phoe to my lap top Win 10 it doesn't even see them.

I never had this problem before with previous Windows.

On my phone they a visible with the photos in the Gallery but only the photos show on my lap top.

I couldn't get them to go via bluetooth and had to resort to Google Drive which is a pain in the ass as I then have to download them to my pc files.

Any thoughts on this?

This may sound stupid but have you tried looking at the phone's files using windows explorer and unhidden any hidden documents?  That's how I worked my way around apple not letting me take songs off my ipod to add to my new computer, might work here too.

This may sound stupid but have you tried looking at the phone's files using windows explorer and unhidden any hidden documents?  That's how I worked my way around apple not letting me take songs off my ipod to add to my new computer, might work here too.

Yes I've  looked through all the files as you suggest I can see the j pegs but not the MPs.  

I can't  say I noticed or looked for hidden files but will look.

What's  weird is I never had this problem with any of the older windows right up to and including 7

Have you checked both the memory card and the phone memories? Scrolled all the way to the bottom of the files to see if all the videos are sitting at the bottom? Checked all the different folders?

My Samsung seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to storing photos and videos. It could end up in about five different places.

Most of the files are empty as I only use the phone for receiving emails, text messages and camera.

The videos are in my 'gallery' and are visible under 'camera' with the jpegs.

Archived