Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

**** Microsoft, Windows 10 and Canon.

I've got two Canon Printers an MX310 all in one printer/scanner and an iP2500 printer neither of which are compatible with Windows 10.

The Canon OS recommends I buy new printers but there's nothing wrong with them.

Bastards!!!!!!

My only get out is that I still have a desktop pc with windows 7 on it which I rarely use but it's still a pain in the arse to either remember to do potential printing stuff on there or to transfer it.

I can't use my Scrabble since I upgraded and I can't find an up to date version to replace it.

I wanted the Windows 7 games on Windows 10 (Internet Spades :blush:) and for the life of me couldn't find it, eventually came across a dodgy-looking exe and took the risk (seeing as I'd have been able to rectify any viruses that it had) and voila it worked

• 2 months later...

Just a little word of warning to people. It turns out Microsoft have now made windows 10 a mandatory update instead of a recommended one. This means your PC is going to update to windows 10 regardless of whether you have chosen to upgrade or not unless you use the tools to completely disable the windows 10 update download. I woke up in the middle of the night last night to find my PC restarting, and upgrading to windows 10 when it started back up again, when I had specifically said not to install the update multiple times. I read up on it and they have indeed moved the windows 10 upgrade update to the 'important updates' section rather than the 'recommended updates' section, so it'll install the next time your pc installs updates.

This is an extremely dick move by Microsoft

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

By Zoe KleinmanTechnology reporter, BBC News

_89780078_89780077.jpgImage copyrightMICROSOFT

Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification

The upgrade could still be cancelled, when the scheduled time for it to begin appeared, Microsoft said.

The change occurred because the update is now labelled "recommended" and many people have their PCs configured to accept recommended updates for security reasons.

This means dismissing the box does not dismiss the update.

Brad Chacos, senior editor at the PC World website, described it as a "nasty trick".

"Deploying these dirty tricks only frustrates long-time Windows users who have very valid reasons to stick with operating systems they already know and love," he wrote.

Microsoft said: "With the free Windows 10 upgrade offer ending on 29 July, we want to help people upgrade to the best version of Windows.

"As we shared in October, Windows 10 will be offered as a 'recommended' update for Windows 7 and 8.1 customers whose Windows Update settings are configured to accept 'recommended' updates.

"Customers can choose to accept or decline the Windows 10 upgrade."

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

By Zoe KleinmanTechnology reporter, BBC News
_89780078_89780077.jpgImage copyrightMICROSOFT

Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification

The upgrade could still be cancelled, when the scheduled time for it to begin appeared, Microsoft said.

The change occurred because the update is now labelled "recommended" and many people have their PCs configured to accept recommended updates for security reasons.

This means dismissing the box does not dismiss the update.

Brad Chacos, senior editor at the PC World website, described it as a "nasty trick".

"Deploying these dirty tricks only frustrates long-time Windows users who have very valid reasons to stick with operating systems they already know and love," he wrote.

Microsoft said: "With the free Windows 10 upgrade offer ending on 29 July, we want to help people upgrade to the best version of Windows.

"As we shared in October, Windows 10 will be offered as a 'recommended' update for Windows 7 and 8.1 customers whose Windows Update settings are configured to accept 'recommended' updates.

"Customers can choose to accept or decline the Windows 10 upgrade."

Be warned about this, anyone who doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and has yet to be shafted by Microsoft.

Happened to me. Thought I'd avoided the Catch 22 choice of upgrading now and upgrading later by clicking the red "x" box ("exit", surely?). Went downstairs and returned later to find Windows 10 installing. 

I find this utterly outrageous. If I buy a load of shelves from IKEA, they don't assume they can return after 1-2 years, rearrange all the shelves and install different ones. If I have a load of TV channels set up on my TV, someone doesn't automatically switch them to a new range of channels that they've developed without consulting me...

I can't find my email box now and am having to access email via internet until I can find time to consult an I.T. bod. Anti-democratic cvnts interested only in corporate profits. Never trust a fvcking hippy!  :angry:

Be warned about this, anyone who doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and has yet to be shafted by Microsoft.

Happened to me. Thought I'd avoided the Catch 22 choice of upgrading now and upgrading later by clicking the red "x" box ("exit", surely?). Went downstairs and returned later to find Windows 10 installing.

I find this utterly outrageous. If I buy a load of shelves from IKEA, they don't assume they can return after 1-2 years, rearrange all the shelves and install different ones. If I have a load of TV channels set up on my TV, someone doesn't automatically switch them to a new range of channels that they've developed without consulting me...

I can't find my email box now and am having to access email via internet until I can find time to consult an I.T. bod. Anti-democratic cvnts interested only in corporate profits. Never trust a fvcking hippy! :angry:

The default on Windows 10 is 'Mail' - if you click an email hyperlink online it should also open in the default app.

Or you can install Outlook

The default on Windows 10 is 'Mail' - if you click an email hyperlink online it should also open in the default app.

Or you can install Outlook

Thanks for trying to help, DB11, but I think that I'm going to have to visit the local I.T. shop eventually.

When I got this PC, I had a pre-existing email account ("btconnect.com") and opted to keep using that (via Windows Live Mail) rather than use Outlook so as to keep access to contacts, inbox messages etc.

I've just tried to download Windows Essentials to do that again, but ran into problems of not knowing logins, passwords etc.

I'd better see the I.T. bod when I can be bothered, so as to try not to lose important messages, contact addresses etc.

If I seem a bit incompetent, please remember that I'm an old git for whom Internet started at age 35, email at age 37 - and I'm not someone who has a natural interest in techy stuff. I understand how a door or a toilet works only as much as I need to use it, likewise PCs - beyond learning stuff that I need to use, I glaze over. 

I can't find my email box now and am having to access email via internet until I can find time to consult an I.T. bod.

I'm just the same, I can't get my email to work at all and talktalk's webmail is crap.

I'm just the same, I can't get my email to work at all and talktalk's webmail is crap.

Finally, some joy.

Used the bottom left Start (?) button, then "All Apps" option and found Windows Live Mail, reinstalled it and pinned it to the task bar -> back in full email action without needing to get the I.T. shop involved. 

I think I've got mine sorted as well. I right clicked on my email address in Mail and pressed fix account. After trying about 4 different passwords I'm in.

well i upgraded my lads via a usb stick as clean install and didnt realise i had to do it through win 7 to get the key :(

so now got lappy on windows 10 asking for activation and cant roll back to win 7 to get it and the old sticker underneath has worn and 4 digits are missing :( 

tried that jellyfinder and belarc advisor but both said could not trace the key ffs 

well i upgraded my lads via a usb stick as clean install and didnt realise i had to do it through win 7 to get the key :(

so now got lappy on windows 10 asking for activation and cant roll back to win 7 to get it and the old sticker underneath has worn and 4 digits are missing :(

tried that jellyfinder and belarc advisor but both said could not trace the key ffs 

Don't know if this works for you -http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-uninstall-win-10-reinstall-windows-7-8-summary-3633149/

How to downgrade Windows 10: Uninstall Win 10, reinstall Windows 7, 8
By now you've probably decided by now whether or not Windows 10 is for you. If you don't like it or are having problems, it's easy to downgrade Windows 10 and return to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. We explain how to uninstall Windows 10 and restore your old Windows in minutes.

How to uninstall Windows 10: Summary

Within a month of installing Windows 10 you can uninstall Windows 10 by selecting Go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 from the Recovery menu, but even after a month all hope is not lost. In this article we reveal your options for downgrading Windows 10.

Don't know if this works for you -http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-uninstall-win-10-reinstall-windows-7-8-summary-3633149/

How to downgrade Windows 10: Uninstall Win 10, reinstall Windows 7, 8
By now you've probably decided by now whether or not Windows 10 is for you. If you don't like it or are having problems, it's easy to downgrade Windows 10 and return to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. We explain how to uninstall Windows 10 and restore your old Windows in minutes.

How to uninstall Windows 10: Summary

Within a month of installing Windows 10 you can uninstall Windows 10 by selecting Go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 from the Recovery menu, but even after a month all hope is not lost. In this article we reveal your options for downgrading Windows 10.

Won't work if he can't get his Windows 7 installation key to reinstall Windows 7

Micro$oft really are a set of rogues.....got a call the other night from sister in law in Countesthorpe....'my computer is upgrading to Windows 10 and I never asked it to'

Talked her through the install and it all went well. I then had to had to send her instructions to disable Cortana And the reset privacy settings (well as much as MS allow you to on win 10).

So glad I exited the MS racked and switched to Linux when Win XP went out of support in April 2014

• 1 month later...

France data authority criticises Windows 10 over privacy

2 hours ago

From the sectionTechnology

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Image captionThe French data authority has said Microsoft has breached the country's Data Privacy Act

Windows 10 gathers an "excessive" amount of personal data on users, the French data authority has said in a formal notice.

Following complaints the operating system breached France's Data Protection Act, the National Data Protection Commission (CNIL) found "many failures".

The CNIL has now given Microsoft three months to comply with the act.

A Microsoft executive said the company would "work closely" with the CNIL.

By default, Windows 10 collects various data on how it is used - this includes what apps are installed and how much time is spent within them, for example.

"[Microsoft] is collecting excessive data, as these data are not necessary for the operation of the service," said the CNIL.

The authority also criticised the fact that an advertising ID is activated by default, which allows apps to monitor user browsing and then offer targeted ads.

In the CNIL's view, this has been done "without consent".

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Image captionWindows 10 has been criticised previously over how much data it collects about users

Plus, data was being transferred outside the EU despite a Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) decision, in October last year, to prohibit this.

"We built strong privacy protections into Windows 10, and we welcome feedback as we continually work to enhance those protections," said David Heiner, Microsoft vice-president and deputy general counsel.

"We will work closely with the CNIL over the next few months to understand the agency's concerns fully and to work toward solutions that it will find acceptable."

Mr Heiner added that a new privacy statement would be issued by the company next month and that it planned to adopt the Privacy Shield - a recently approved US-EU pact to allow data flow across the Atlantic.

Jump media player

Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Media captionWhy did the CJEU strike down Safe Harbour?

"It is high time that companies are called to account about the amount of data they collect about us without our consent," said Harmit Kambo, campaigns director at Privacy International.

"Why do they need so much data about us, and why are they not open with us about it?"

Mr Kambo added that he hoped other companies would also consider the implications of the CNIL's decision.

"CNIL's public notice to Microsoft Corporation should be a wake up call to all companies, that it's unacceptable to hoover up their customers' data without their consent," he said.

• 5 weeks later...

FYI.

The "free" update to win10 has now expired, but... if youve suddenly decided you need it, or bought an older computer with Win 8.1 etc, there is still a way you can go up to Windows 10 for free.

If you google windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users, they are allowing the upgrade through that page.

Have it on my laptop but not on our two desk tops, Couldn't get it to work on MrsGs and I've kept mine on 7 because 10 is not compatible with my 3 in 1 printer which isn't that old and still works fine.

Archived