Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

Is the OS like 8 or 7 in terms of layout, Windows 8 for business use is discusting!!

And they are saying that you get a free years upgrade right so what happens after the year do you have to pay or something? ]

Any why are they trying to do away with Windows 7 for its a beast!

The upgrade is available for free for a year, but it's permanent. After a year if you're still in an older OS and want to upgrade you'll have to pay, but if you've already got it then you don't pay a thing.

I’ve never upgraded an operating system, so sorry if this sounds stupid, but if/when I upgrade to Windows 10, what happens with applications/passwords/internet bookmarks/etc?

I’ve never upgraded an operating system, so sorry if this sounds stupid, but if/when I upgrade to Windows 10, what happens with applications/passwords/internet bookmarks/etc?

Passwords stay the same and saved, likewise bookmarks (on chrome at least, they're synced to the google account, not the OS).

Upgraded earlier. Looks a lot sleeker and the start menu is back  :frantics:

Done it. Might just take a little while to get used to.

Passwords stay the same and saved, likewise bookmarks (on chrome at least, they're synced to the google account, not the OS).

Upgraded earlier. Looks a lot sleeker and the start menu is back  :frantics:

It's a bit 'in your face', but much easier to navigate.

There's no windows media center anymore, but there's a tonne of third party software to do the same thing

Any issues yet?

It's quite smooth actually. Nice to not have that annoying sensitive spots not the mouse. Good to have the start button back and cortana is quite useful. Had no software or driver issues and all my apps came straight across. I really like it.

Just updating it now. From what I've seen its a good improvement, got the Start tab back but with the useful features from 8. Will I have to reorganise my icons and stuff or does that all pass over?

Realistically is it any improvement on having 8.1 with a start bar app?

Seems a lot more useful in my opinion, and the layout is a bit more sleeker for me. Do prefer it to 7 & 8.

Few issues with sleep/hibernating on my HP laptop not turning back on, meaning i've got to restart by holding down the power button each time :/ Not sure if its a Win10 issue, but the timing seems to imply as much. Hopefully it gets patched soonish.

No issues at all, MUCH better than 8, and i think an improvement on 7.

Ive binned windows defender and trying security 360 which seems quite ok too.

MS Security Essentials is all I ever use.

Would people say this Windows 10 is better than 7 for Business use? Easy to navigate?

MS Security Essentials is all I ever use.

Would people say this Windows 10 is better than 7 for Business use? Easy to navigate?

Ive always used Windows defender, but the lack of a select scan annoyed me

I would say this is better than 8...as good as 7, as easy to use as 7 and has a few litttle bits that work better for me than 7. Im a simplistic computer user.

What happens after a year, I presume you're given the option to buy it at some small discounted cost and if you don't you go back to the version before this one?

No, there's no indication that you will ever be charged for this upgrade to 10. Microsoft wants everyone on the same OS and they're really looking to make their money from add-on apps and programmes etc.

No, there's no indication that you will ever be charged for this upgrade to 10. Microsoft wants everyone on the same OS and they're really looking to make their money from add-on apps and programmes etc.

Yep, it's completely free.

Upgrading for free is only available for a year (they want to get everyone onto Win10 ASAP so they can push the app store (once that gets popular so will their tablets)). But once you've upgraded it's yours, no fee, no catch.

Archived