Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

By files do you mean programmes as I have no personal stuff on there. I have stuff life ms office 2000 and paint shop pro etc

If you don't use them, then it might be worth deleting MS 2000 (!) and paint.

When thinking about files, I meant document-type ones (i.e. used to type letters etc) - but as you say, you don't have anything personal.

Another suggestion is to un-install any software or features that you don't need/use, with some known to affect computer speed.

---

These are the only suggestions, based on experience of installing new Microsoft editions, I have unfortunately.

Best bet might be to PM DB11 for any advice (as he seems quite top-notch on IT-related stuff), but he's probably not read you concerns in this thread and knowing him he'll respond when he's logged on again. :dunno:

Installed 10 on my 3 year old laptop running Windows 7 this evening, Installed using the windows media creator as I cba to wait for this reservation cobblers that said it may be available in a few days or weeks. 2 hours to d/l and install, no problems. 

Ran mine last night without any problems.  All I did then was shut it down, which was easier than it was before, so that was nice.

I'd actually got used to Windows 8 as we use it all the time at work, but who decided that was ever a good idea needs to be driven into the countryside and released

Apologies for not actually replying, completely forgot as about 10 minutes after I asked for a screenshot I got a virus (for about the 2nd time ever) and it buggered my whole laptop. Had Malwarebytes switched off after I installed 10 for some reason so ended up having to clean install. Encountered quite a few problems.

Got everything sorted fully about an hour ago, can't beat a clean install actually  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having issues with my browsers as well. Opera sometimes has black screen, or the screen "breaks". Its hard to describe. My mouse lags sometimes too. I hear disabling cortana helps

I disabled most of the new 'features' on the laptop I'm using as  a test-bed for Windows 10 and haven't seen any problems so far.

Since downloading it every video I go to play takes about 2 minutes before it starts, even if it's fully buffered.

anyone else had this problem?

Which browser is that with? I use Chrome for browsing and VLC player for any downloaded avi / wmv / mkv files and both run fine.

Chrome. 

It's starting to do my head in now

Chrome includes everything you need like flash and java as far as I know so not sure why it would delay playing. Uninstall anything MS have included that you don't want, make sure Chrome is your default browser, windows is up to date (some streaming sites need MS Silverlight installed but think its already included in W10), maybe disable any AV temporarily to see if thats stopping it. 

Chrome includes everything you need like flash and java as far as I know so not sure why it would delay playing. Uninstall anything MS have included that you don't want, make sure Chrome is your default browser, windows is up to date (some streaming sites need MS Silverlight installed but think its already included in W10), maybe disable any AV temporarily to see if thats stopping it. 

Cheers mate

will give that a go later. Already had silverlight before the update so guessing I've still got it. 

Since downloading it every video I go to play takes about 2 minutes before it starts, even if it's fully buffered.

anyone else had this problem?

May or may not be the same as what your experiencing but this article says it could be your graphics card driver. Go to the manufacturers site and download the latest version (don't rely on Windows update to get the very latest hardware drivers). 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-streaming-problems/

My dad did this the other day. His laptop is now buggered. Rang Microsoft and was on the phone to them for an hour and a half and had someone take control of his computer and they couldn't fix it. Completely knackered now. 

However, I upgraded mine and it is perfectly fine. 

Had no problems other than the Internet on it now being really slow. Anyone else have the same issue? Can't work out why it would be, chrome and edge both like it.

It gets to the page eventually, it's not my connection because other devices working fine on it. Really strange.

Only problem I had with the work laptop that I upgraded yesterday was with the Cisco VPN software to connect to our email server, a bit of googling found a solution with new client software.

Took the step and upgraded my laptop. Had been running Windows 8 on it (not sure what version). It is better than Windows 8 for me, and the re-introduction of the start menu is important. Never know why they got rid of it. Anyway, it feels back to basics. I like it, with no problems as yet.

Archived