Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Westerby Cup Loughboro' Dynamo v LCFCX1 - 6th Aug.

OS

A Leicester City XI will travel to Loughborough Dynamo on Monday 6 August to contest the Westerby Cup Winners' Cup Final.

In the annual fixture against the Leicestershire & Rutland County FA's Westerby Challenge Cup holders, a Foxes team combining senior and young professionals, as well as some academy prospects, will be hoping to retain the trophy.

They will face a Loughborough Dynamo side from the Northern Premier League Division One South, who lifted the Westerby Challenge Cup back in May after overcoming Hinckley United at King Power Stadium.

City beat Quorn FC on penalties to win last season's Cup Winners' Cup in November, following a 1-1 draw at Quorn's Farley Way Stadium.

This year's tie will take place at Loughborough Dynamos' Nanpantan Sports Ground on Monday 6 August and kicks off at 7.30pm. Admission, payable on the night, is priced £7 for Adults and £3 for Concessions.

Bump

Merc

Meanwhile, City have announced a City XI will travel to Loughborough Dynamo on August 6 for the Westerby Cup Winners' Cup Final.

City will be looking to retain the Trophy after beating Quorn FC on penalties in last year's game. Prices for the final at Nanpantan Sports Ground are £7 for adults and £3 for concessions. Kick off is 7.30pm.

• 3 weeks later...

This could now take on more importance with respect to giving 1st team squad players a game rather than the development guys..

Think you'll find it was the trialist that gave away the pen but either way I have to agree Taft is way overrated.his 50 yard hoofs from the back remind me of a certain Mr MIlls

Very poor performance with far too much long ball

Blyth was very poor and should have scored at least twice

Defence all over the place first half but a couple of players were forced to play out of position

Pierre and Hopper showed glimpses of promise but apart from that the others are a million miles away from first team action

Ramadaone spot on, we were absolute gash. lol

It's about as meaningless as a game can get but it doesn't mask the fact we hardly intended once to get it on the floor and play, doesn't mask the fact we looked shocking, not bothered about the opposition I was just disappointed with our philosophy in general. 90 minutes of total hoofball.

Larrauri the best of a bad bunch.

OS already - Whoo!

LOUGHBOROUGH DYNAMO 1 LEICESTER CITY XI 0

A youthful Leicester City XI were narrowly edged out by Loughborough Dynamo on Monday night, as the Moes lifted the Westerby Cup Winners' Cup at Nanpantan Sports Ground.

In the Leicestershire & Rutland County FA's annual challenge match, the Foxes travelled to the home of the Westerby Cup holders for what proved to be a closely-fought contest, settled early in the first half by a Matt Langham penalty.

Fielding a team made up entirely of young professionals and academy prospects, City came back strongly from that early setback and thought they had levelled through captain George Taft's towering header from a Michael Cain corner.

0,,10274~11107191,00.jpg

But Taft's effort was disallowed as Cain's delivery had swung behind before being converted and Loughborough held on to claim the trophy.

With first team manager Nigel Pearson in attendance, City had entered the game aiming to retain the trophy they won at Quorn FC last season and started brightly as Jacob Blyth volleyed Joe Dodoo's cross over from close range.

0,,10274~11107187,00.jpg

But they were dealt a blow just after the quarter-hour when Loughborough's Louis Hamilton charged into the box and saw his progress checked by young City trialist Josh Robinson. The penalty was duly awarded and Langham showed a cool head from 12 yards.

City responded well and would have been level on 25 minutes had it not been for some fantastic goalkeeping from Dynamo's Kahil Mann-Kler. Stranded in the centre of his goalmouth as Tom Hopper powered onto the end of a brilliant cross from Cain, the Moes 'keeper stuck out a right hand and made a brilliant reaction save.

0,,10274~11107186,00.jpg

Loughborough, with centre-half Alvin Jarvis outstanding, had some joy in the build-up to the break as full-back Jake Dale-Brown and wide-man Hamilton went close.

But City were again on the attack on the stroke of half-time - Pierre Larrauri crossing from the left, Blyth mistiming his volley and Dodoo flashing past the far post.

0,,10274~11107188,00.jpg

The Foxes came out quickly in the second half and had Taft's booming header not been chalked off, the momentum of the game could have swung considerably.

But, despite the industry of Cain and Joey Jones in midfield and the hard work of Blyth and Tom Hopper in attack, City's growing advances were continually broken up by their determined hosts.

Tuesday's trip to Nuneaton should find some more established faces in the fray, but the experience of a cup final for these youngsters will have done them no harm.

City (4-4-2): A. Smith; Maduako, Robinson, Taft ©, S. Smith; Dodoo (Lovett 61), Cain, Jones, Larrauri; Hopper, Blyth (Tambini 70).

Unused subs: Brennan, Sesay.

Think you'll find it was the trialist that gave away the pen but either way I have to agree Taft is way overrated.his 50 yard hoofs from the back remind me of a certain Mr MIlls

Very poor performance with far too much long ball

Blyth was very poor and should have scored at least twice

Defence all over the place first half but a couple of players were forced to play out of position

Pierre and Hopper showed glimpses of promise but apart from that the others are a million miles away from first team action

This.

And before anyone accuses me of over-reacting I'm hardly acting like it was catastrophic, simply saying what I saw.

I'll say this though, if one of them's going to make it it'll be Larrauri, he fizzled out towards the end but thought he was the only one who looked comfortable on the ball, best at retaining the ball and wasn't afraid to take people on.

He was far stronger than I thought he'd be too, strikes me as a pretty good player.

It doesn't matter. It's only pre-season. We'll be brilliant when the real matches start and you can't count a local cup final as a real match. If we get beaten a few times it'll help fans keep things in perspective and make sure they don't get over-excited. The big positive is that the game went ahead at all.

Archived