Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

But he was our top scorer last season.

No, you aren't.......he is (sort of) and that's what's being argued.

If I were you I wouldn't bother arguing with people who haven't a clue about football. They've been desperate to criticise him, and a defeat in their eyes gives them that opportunity. The phone in will be similar tonight I'd imagine

What, in your mind, was I saying originally? Let's go back:

Nugent is a good player. He had a great last season. He's done fine this year. He was no worse than 4 or 5 others on Saturday.

BUT-

He needs to take his chances when he gets them, needs to be creating more chances too, and needs to do better than he has in past PL seasons if he is to keep his place.

Oh, and we've signed two #10 strikers, both of which are first team squad members (according to them and our coaches), so it's pretty likely that the manager is looking closely at his place in the side too.

And yes, I suspect we'll see them at Nugent's expense at some point in the season. Whether or not I know anything about football - and I've seen very little to suggest you have a clue what you're banging on about at pretty much any given moment in time - is irrelevant. The question is, does Pearson? Because if he has brought in two players for Nugent's role and, as you keep stressing, doesn't draft them into the side (most probably at Nugent's expense) at some point in time, then that would suggest that he doesn't know what he's doing.

My guess, though, is that he does. But I don't expect you to understand that.

As I say your like a broken record, you not discussing anything with me your just near enough literally copy and pasting what your saying, And I'm supposed to be the one who can't argue.

Nugent needs to improve on previous seasons correct, he's been good thus far this campaign though, you claim he's missed a lot of chances, yet can only mention two one of which isn't even clear cut.

That number 10 thing again I see, people say a lot of things in football, I'll say to you the same thing I said to Mark RE Waghorn, actions speak louder than words, they aren't in our 18, that tells you how close they are to getting game time at the moment and how much threat Nugent is under from them, he's under much more threat of Pearson changing the system inf favour of the likes of Mahrez Vardy Ulloa Knockaert Wood possibly even GTF. These lads are the future not the present. I should imagine their introduction will be very gradual. To suggest they've been bought in to threaten Nugent immediately = looney tunes.

If I were you I wouldn't bother arguing with people who haven't a clue about football. They've been desperate to criticise him, and a defeat in their eyes gives them that opportunity. The phone in will be similar tonight I'd imagine

He definitely knows what he's on about.

He uses long words and watches question time which makes his opinion better than ours.

As I say your like a broken record, you not discussing anything with me your just near enough literally copy and pasting what your saying, And I'm supposed to be the one who can't argue.

Nugent needs to improve on previous seasons correct, he's been good thus far this campaign though, you claim he's missed a lot of chances, yet can only mention two one of which isn't even clear cut.

That number 10 thing again I see, people say a lot of things in football, I'll say to you the same thing I said to Mark RE Waghorn, actions speak louder than words, they aren't in our 18, that tells you how close they are to getting game time at the moment and how much threat Nugent is under from them, he's under much more threat of Pearson changing the system inf favour of the likes of Mahrez Vardy Ulloa Knockaert Wood possibly even GTF. These lads are the future not the present. I should imagine their introduction will be very gradual. To suggest they've been bought in to threaten Nugent immediately = looney tunes.

He uses long words and watches question time which makes his opinion better than ours.

Careful, don't mention Mark w and Waghorn! He takes it to heart. How is Waghorn doing anyway? Last I saw he couldn't get a game at bottom half Wigan. Poor Waggy

Careful, don't mention Mark w and Waghorn! He takes it to heart. How is Waghorn doing anyway? Last I saw he couldn't get a game at bottom half Wigan. Poor Waggy

There's a thread in General Sports and Chat, yes he can't get in the team at the moment, think he scored not so long ago though in a 2-1 defeat to Ipswich

Yeah, you're right, everyone who has a different opinion to you must be wrong.

There's a thread in General Sports and Chat, yes he can't get in the team at the moment, think he scored not so long ago though in a 2-1 defeat to Ipswich

I've debated Waghorn with Mark quite a bit but it usually gets deleted by admin unfortunately. Not good enough, never has been, never will be! Nice lad though

Yeah, you're right, everyone who has a different opinion to you must be wrong.

Not at all. But to scapegoat Nugent is totally unfair. I don't like it

I've debated Waghorn with Mark quite a bit but it usually gets deleted by admin unfortunately. Not good enough, never has been, never will be! Nice lad though

Well it's allowed in there, although it's a bit quiet atm it's basically just me laughing at Mark. Who has vanished.

It's not "Scapegoating". That would be implying that Nugent was responsible for us losing against Palace. And I guess, he was, in some part, but only as much as the rest of the team. It was a poor performance by pretty much everyone on the pitch.

However, my problem with Nugent is that I don't think he offers enough offensively. He's fantastic at pressing and harrying the opponent, and he's pretty good at  however I think that's the only area in which he excels at. His attacking is okay, but not great - he rarely seems to threaten, and even if he does get a chance, I'm not confident that he'll put it away. I know he's not our out-and-out goal scorer, however someone who plays in a forward position should still be able to chip in with a respectable amount of goals, and I don't seeing him be able to do that this season.

For me, I'd only play him against the "bigger" teams, teams which will come at us, where we need to break up play and hit them on the counter. For teams that are going to sit back, a la Burnley and Palace, I'd rather play someone like Mahrez (if we're going for a similar formation to last time), someone with a bit of trickery and quality in their locker to unlock defenses. I don't really think Nugent has much to offer in these kind of situations.

It's not "Scapegoating". That would be implying that Nugent was responsible for us losing against Palace. And I guess, he was, in some part, but only as much as the rest of the team. It was a poor performance by pretty much everyone on the pitch.

However, my problem with Nugent is that I don't think he offers enough offensively. He's fantastic at pressing and harrying the opponent, and he's pretty good at  however I think that's the only area in which he excels at. His attacking is okay, but not great - he rarely seems to threaten, and even if he does get a chance, I'm not confident that he'll put it away. I know he's not our out-and-out goal scorer, however someone who plays in a forward position should still be able to chip in with a respectable amount of goals, and I don't seeing him be able to do that this season.

For me, I'd only play him against the "bigger" teams, teams which will come at us, where we need to break up play and hit them on the counter. For teams that are going to sit back, a la Burnley and Palace, I'd rather play someone like Mahrez (if we're going for a similar formation to last time), someone with a bit of trickery and quality in their locker to unlock defenses. I don't really think Nugent has much to offer in these kind of situations.

Yeah, what he's getting at is it's a bit weird how you all pop up with this after every defeat and at no other point.

That's what's not helping the cause.

However, my problem with Nugent is that I don't think he offers enough offensively. He's fantastic at pressing and harrying the opponent, and he's pretty good at however I think that's the only area in which he excels at. His attacking is okay, but not great - he rarely seems to threaten, and even if he does get a chance, I'm not confident that he'll put it away. I know he's not our out-and-out goal scorer, however someone who plays in a forward position should still be able to chip in with a respectable amount of goals, and I don't seeing him be able to do that this season.

I'm 50/50 with Nugent. I do think in some games this season he's played really really well. Not necessarily as our main goal threat, but we have Ulloa and Vardy to be that for us. I posted on here that I thought at Chelsea away, Nugent's look across at the linesman was in hope that he would be offside! I still stand by that as I don't think he has a great deal of confidence and conviction thus far this season. However, in the deeper role I think he's done really well. He's been good in the air, he's been a good link man and he's run himself into the ground every week. Is he in my best 11? No. However, he seems to be in Pearson's. I just hate the fact that when we lose, people jump on his back like it's down to him. Easy target. Reality is Ulloa was probably even worse than Nugent, and Vardy was no better at Palace. Mahrez was absolutely terrible when he came on. It's only one game though. People need to use perspective more

Yeah, what he's getting at is it's a bit weird how you all pop up with this after every defeat and at no other point.

That's what's not helping the cause.

Because if you mention it after a victory/draw then you get laughed out of town on this forum. It seem's like there's never an appropriate moment.

Didn't Nugent have a bucketload of goals and assists last season when combined?

You can't ask that to Grewks. I asked him a couple of days ago to retract his comment about 'only on the field for penalties' & showed him how many assists he got last season and I'm still awaiting a response...

I'm 50/50 with Nugent. I do think in some games this season he's played really really well. Not necessarily as our main goal threat, but we have Ulloa and Vardy to be that for us. I posted on here that I thought at Chelsea away, Nugent's look across at the linesman was in hope that he would be offside! I still stand by that as I don't think he has a great deal of confidence and conviction thus far this season. However, in the deeper role I think he's done really well. He's been good in the air, he's been a good link man and he's run himself into the ground every week. Is he in my best 11? No. However, he seems to be in Pearson's. I just hate the fact that when we lose, people jump on his back like it's down to him. Easy target. Reality is Ulloa was probably even worse than Nugent, and Vardy was no better at Palace. Mahrez was absolutely terrible when he came on. It's only one game though. People need to use perspective more

So let me get this right: I think Nugent is a good player and worthy of his first team place, but he will have to do better than in previous seasons, and better than in recent games, if he wants to keep his place ahead of the two brand new first team squad players bought to play in his position.

But you still think he should be dropped.

And somehow this makes me 'desperate to criticise' / 'scapegoat' etc.?

Do any of you lot actually read what other people write?

No, the problem is that you are trying to argue a point which I am not arguing. As I keep saying, I think Nugent has done well. Okay, he has failed to convert a few chances at key moments - some easier than others (and let's not forget he did actually convert one of them, i.e. the penalty), and has struggled in past PL campaigns. He was also, among many others, not particularly good on Saturday. So with two new players in the squad who play in his position, he will naturally have to do a little better.

But don't try to suggest that I am turning on him, or scapegoating him, or that my observations are demented and inappropriate. That's where we're going round in circles - because you haven't figured out that I actually like Nugent.

We have, in the meantime, learned that you don't think managers buy new players for the first team with a view to playing them in the first team, that you think Powell was bought for the future even though he's on a one year loan, and that neither he nor Lawrence were actually bought for the first team, even though both players and one of our coaches confirmed that this was the case. Oh, and that Gary Taylor Fletcher is probably closer to the starting eleven than Powell.

And no, I don't watch Question Time. But okay, I am reasonably literate and, yes, my opinions are better than yours.

If we're to carry on, please can we not mention Nugent's previous Premier League forays? In particular with relation to his goalscoring, which is hardly his defining skill. One was almost always out of position for Portsmouth, and one was in a godawful Burnley side. It doesn't have any bearing on his capability, any more than Vardy being let go by Wednesday or Konch having a nightmare with Liverpool.

So let me get this right: I think Nugent is a good player and worthy of his first team place, but he will have to do better than in previous seasons, and better than in recent games, if he wants to keep his place ahead of the two brand new first team squad players bought to play in his position.

But you still think he should be dropped.

And somehow this makes me 'desperate to criticise' / 'scapegoat' etc.?

Do any of you lot actually read what other people write?

I didn't say he should be dropped, I said he wouldn't be in my best 11. I'm not the manager though. I wasn't referring to you personally, more the thread itself.

If we're to carry on, please can we not mention Nugent's previous Premier League forays? In particular with relation to his goalscoring, which is hardly his defining skill. One was almost always out of position for Portsmouth, and one was in a godawful Burnley side. It doesn't have any bearing on his capability, any more than Vardy being let go by Wednesday or Konch having a nightmare with Liverpool.

I think it's still a relevant point, however it was quite a long time ago, so I'm not holding it against him - fresh start, and all that. I'm only judging him from what I've seen at Leicester. I'd also say the Konchesky one is relevant, but tbf all that shows is that he's not good enough for a top side, which let's face it, we knew anyway.

No, the problem is that you are trying to argue a point which I am not arguing. As I keep saying, I think Nugent has done well. Okay, he has failed to convert a few chances at key moments - some easier than others (and let's not forget he did actually convert one of them, i.e. the penalty), and has struggled in past PL campaigns. He was also, among many others, not particularly good on Saturday. So with two new players in the squad who play in his position, he will naturally have to do a little better.

But don't try to suggest that I am turning on him, or scapegoating him, or that my observations are demented and inappropriate. That's where we're going round in circles - because you haven't figured out that I actually like Nugent.

We have, in the meantime, learned that you don't think managers buy new players for the first team with a view to playing them in the first team, that you think Powell was bought for the future even though he's on a one year loan, and that neither he nor Lawrence were actually bought for the first team, even though both players and one of our coaches confirmed that this was the case. Oh, and that Gary Taylor Fletcher is probably closer to the starting eleven than Powell.

And no, I don't watch Question Time. But okay, I am reasonably literate and, yes, my opinions are better than yours.

Oh give it up you fuking boring and even worse at letting an argument go than I am. Your comprehension is also terrible and how you can have a go at others for not reading is amazing.

I've not argued the toss with you on whether you like Nugent or if he is any good, whether you like him or not etc I'm sure you do, it's totally irrelevant to the discussion though  I've argued with you on two specific points, missed chances in which you claim there was an abundance of yet you fail to name, second you think a couple of prospects being bought in means it is obvious the Nugent's place is under scrutiny. So that's the problem, you don't even understand what your arguing, despite being "reasonably literate"

I can go and get both quotes if you like, you know this, and are now trying to twist your arguments around. And twist mine around for me as well while your at it. You might view this as debating I view it as an idiotic waste of time which is what talking to you normally ends up being

Lawrence and Powell. on current evidence, has been bought in to add depth and to be looked at in the future. You have no hard evidence to suggest their roles will be anymore than a few quotes along the lines of "oh yeah sure they might make the first team at some point" where as the fact of the matter is they haven't even made the 18 yet this season. That tells you everything. Oh and the fact that you wont even bet they make 5 appearances. I'm sure Powell will get a reasonable amount of game time if deemed good enough so he can be assessed properly as he's only here for a year and hopefully Lawrence might get a few appearances under his belt as well but as I say to suggest either is here seriously out Nugent this season = looney toons. I don't know what you find so amazing about a young player being bought in for a year on loan for assessment and not make that many appearances though it happens all the time, you'd probably know that if you knew anything about the game. I'm pretty sure Powell plays deeper than no.10 these days anyway and would probably be deployed as the furthest forward midfielder of the three as oppose to the dropping off striker, leaving another massive gaping hole in your argument. If Nugent gets dropped our options playing 4-4-2 would alternate options would be Vardy Ulloa or Wood, 4-3-3 you can add Knockaert Mahrez and Albrighton to the equation as well, these lads are the least of his problems. Their signing does not show the manger is scrutinizing his position, no more so than any other at least.

"Possibly even GTF" doesn't equate to me saying he's closer than Powell although good twisting of words there, I don't know which is closer I am not in Pearson's head hence the term possibly, if you don't know what that means I suggest you look it up so you can add to that huge vocab of yours

In any case for the sake of others on here I'm going to stop now as it's an argument that will clearly be settled by the end of the season as we'll get to see how many games they play wont we and then we'll see if your opinion is "better than mine"? I'll be more than happy to hold my hands up if either manages to hold up anything resembling a regular first team place and concede to your greater knowledge, Will you do the same? Highly doubtful as your far to self important and pompous for that, not to mention I've got a sneaking suspicion you know neither is going to manage it anyway.

Gwerks I couldn't agree with you less!

Nugent offers alot off the ball, his work rate is the reason the midfield find time on the ball, this season we have seen already how much space he has created for others. 

Pearson knows what he is doing (people seem to know that now!) and if Nugent was not integral do you not think he would have started Mahrez/Albrighton/knocky/wood/vardy etc instead in all of the games we have played? 

By no means is he a fantastic striker but he should start and continue to do so!

All players have a lull in performance and then people jump on their backs and question their credentials!

Play the game this may help you to understand! 

Also be positive and stop whinging!

Oh give it up you fuking boring and even worse at letting an argument go than I am. Your comprehension is also terrible and how you can have a go at others for not reading is amazing.

I've not argued the toss with you on whether you like Nugent or if he is any good, whether you like him or not etc I'm sure you do, it's totally irrelevant to the discussion though  I've argued with you on two specific points, missed chances in which you claim there was an abundance of yet you fail to name, second you think a couple of prospects being bought in means it is obvious the Nugent's place is under scrutiny. So that's the problem, you don't even understand what your arguing, despite being "reasonably literate"

I can go and get both quotes if you like, you know this, and are now trying to twist your arguments around. And twist mine around for me as well while your at it. You might view this as debating I view it as an idiotic waste of time which is what talking to you normally ends up being

Lawrence and Powell. on current evidence, has been bought in to add depth and to be looked at in the future. You have no hard evidence to suggest their roles will be anymore than a few quotes along the lines of "oh yeah sure they might make the first team at some point" where as the fact of the matter is they haven't even made the 18 yet this season. That tells you everything. Oh and the fact that you wont even bet they make 5 appearances. I'm sure Powell will get a reasonable amount of game time if deemed good enough so he can be assessed properly as he's only here for a year and hopefully Lawrence might get a few appearances under his belt as well but as I say to suggest either is here seriously out Nugent this season = looney toons. I don't know what you find so amazing about a young player being bought in for a year on loan for assessment and not make that many appearances though it happens all the time, you'd probably know that if you knew anything about the game. I'm pretty sure Powell plays deeper than no.10 these days anyway and would probably be deployed as the furthest forward midfielder of the three as oppose to the dropping off striker, leaving another massive gaping hole in your argument. If Nugent gets dropped our options playing 4-4-2 would alternate options would be Vardy Ulloa or Wood, 4-3-3 you can add Knockaert Mahrez and Albrighton to the equation as well, these lads are the least of his problems. Their signing does not show the manger is scrutinizing his position, no more so than any other at least.

"Possibly even GTF" doesn't equate to me saying he's closer than Powell although good twisting of words there, I don't know which is closer I am not in Pearson's head hence the term possibly, if you don't know what that means I suggest you look it up so you can add to that huge vocab of yours

In any case for the sake of others on here I'm going to stop now as it's an argument that will clearly be settled by the end of the season as we'll get to see how many games they play wont we and then we'll see if your opinion is "better than mine"? I'll be more than happy to hold my hands up if either manages to hold up anything resembling a regular first team place and concede to your greater knowledge, Will you do the same? Highly doubtful as your far to self important and pompous for that, not to mention I've got a sneaking suspicion you know neither is going to manage it anyway.

I don't know what most of this means, but I'm fairly sure the argument WAS about whether or not Nugent was good enough to remain in the side - looking at the thread title, and pretty much everything I've written in it, at least. You might be going on about something else, but I'm not.

I didn't say he should be dropped, I said he wouldn't be in my best 11. I'm not the manager though. I wasn't referring to you personally, more the thread itself.

I apologise if the two don't equate to the same thing, I hope you can see why I thought they should. And yes, I agree, it's totally pointless singling Nugent or anybody else out. But I still see no harm in discussing whether he's our best option.

Out of interest, who would you have ahead of him in our best 11?

I'll be more than happy to hold my hands up if either manages to hold up anything resembling a regular first team place and concede to your greater knowledge, Will you do the same? Highly doubtful as your far to self important and pompous for that, not to mention I've got a sneaking suspicion you know neither is going to manage it anyway.

I think 5 games was your threshold wasn't it? Yes, I'll hold my hands up to you if neither of them plays five games.

But you're still massively missing the point. I want Nugent to play in every game but I just think he needs to offer more than he has in the past at this level if he is to maintain that place, over a prolonged period of time.

If he replicates his current form over the whole season - i.e. zero assists and about 6 goals, all from penalties, then it would be remarkable if he remained in the side. What you don't seem to grasp is that I believe he will either do better than that - it's very likely he will, as I see it - or be dropped.

We're only going round in circles because you've paid next to no attention to what I'm saying. And clearly, if you don't see that two new players being brought into the first team squad to compete for his place constitutes a greater chance that he'll be dropped, then we're going to struggle to have a meaningful argument.

Archived