Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

But he was our top scorer last season.

We have a strong squad with competition in every position so nobody is really a shoe in bar Morgan perhaps. Nuge may well be dropped but so might RDL and drinky based on last performance. I've confidence we will make the right changes for the next game. If we do drop to 442 it will be interesting to see who the centre mid will be (are drinky and Camb too similar) and how Vardy and Ulloa work. together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Nugent Cycle:

1) Nugent has decent team performances - minor fan praise

2) Nugent scores a penalty but is outshined by other performances - Nugent is forgotten

3) Nugent has a host of chances but fails to score from open play - Nugent is cited as ineffective and calls are made to drop him from the starting XI

4) After being kept in the side against a club he always scores against, causing discontent in the pre match thread, Nugent bags himself goals and assists - "I told you so."

5) Repeat

The Nugent Cycle:

1) Nugent has decent team performances - minor fan praise

2) Nugent scores a penalty but is outshined by other performances - Nugent is forgotten

3) Nugent has a host of chances but fails to score from open play - Nugent is cited as ineffective and calls are made to drop him from the starting XI

4) After being kept in the side against a club he always scores against, causing discontent in the pre match thread, Nugent bags himself goals and assists - "I told you so."

5) Repeat

lol

I must say, that is quite accurate!

Oh but don't worry, he will start on Saturday because 'he always scores against Burnley'. In fact the key is Jamie Vardy playing to win the penalties that Nugent might convert - which other players can do equally as well.

Short memory eh

You remember the game from your own sig?

I don't believe he's a key cog and I do believe some people on this forum will have little choice but to concede this when he's dropped, as he almost certainly will be, at some point in the coming games. The fact that Pearson has just brought in two players who fit precisely his role - and put them in our first team squad - suggests that he's well aware of his deficiencies.

And 'by that logic Ulloa should also be dropped' - how do you come to that conclusion? Ulloa has hit 5 goals in 6 games in the Premier League, whereas Nugent has hit ten in seventy-odd. Now I know that he isn't primarily a goalscorer, but when a player - and a forward at that - misses a key chance, you tend to put it in a very different context when his goals-per-game ratio is 5 in 6, as to when it's 1 in 6.

Look, it's quite likely that every player will be dropped at some stage. Form and formations will dictate that. Nugent may not play the next game, and I wouldn't have a problem with that.

The huge issue with the anti-Nugent agenda is that people who haven't understood his contribution for the games where we play well leap on him when the team plays badly. The team. Nuge was far from the worst player yesterday. People who don't get what Nugent does are exactly the same as those who didn't get Heskey: invisible playing in a good team, unmissable in a losing one.

We may well have played better with a different formation yesterday. But our losing was not Nugent's fault any more than any other player's, and a big part of winning against Man United was down to him. As such, he'll play against Burnley if we play with a no.10. That's basically it.

I think people still see Nugent as a striker where he's more of a midfielder now, it still doesn't excuse missed chances but if you can't look past his goals scored figure then engaging in a debate about him isn't worthwhile.

He plays the same position for us as Rooney does for United....

If Rooney's goalscoring form over last 12-18 months was as poor as his, given the fact nuge was in the championship, then United fans would quite rightly be wanting a change.

He plays the same position for us as Rooney does for United....

If Rooney's goalscoring form over last 12-18 months was as poor as his, given the fact nuge was in the championship, then United fans would quite rightly be wanting a change.

Rooney is always a given for the United starting line-up - or how often have you've seen him getting dropped for an entire game or a longer spell (injuries excluded)? Plus, he's been playing on a higher level for a much longer period of time, surrounded by class footballer for years. Also, Rooney has played as a striker for most part of his career and only been reduced to a role behind the front line in the past few years.

In all honesty, your comparisons are getting more and more desperate now.

I don't believe he's a key cog and I do believe some people on this forum will have little choice but to concede this when he's dropped, as he almost certainly will be, at some point in the coming games. The fact that Pearson has just brought in two players who fit precisely his role - and put them in our first team squad - suggests that he's well aware of his deficiencies.

And 'by that logic Ulloa should also be dropped' - how do you come to that conclusion? Ulloa has hit 5 goals in 6 games in the Premier League, whereas Nugent has hit ten in seventy-odd. Now I know that he isn't primarily a goalscorer, but when a player - and a forward at that - misses a key chance, you tend to put it in a very different context when his goals-per-game ratio is 5 in 6, as to when it's 1 in 6.

In all fairness I think Nugent deserves a little more respect than assessing his outputs over the last 6 games. Don't forget that this is a player who has finished as our top goalscorer for the last 3 seasons, and who scored more goals than Ulloa last season so clearly he knows where the back of the net is.

Fair play to Ulloa for his fantastic start, he has looked brilliant so far and I hope his form continues but there is still a very long way to go for ALL of our strikers to increase their tally. I also think Ulloa will grab all of the headlines as he plays the most advanced role of all of our strikers, and clearly from a tactical perspective Pearson has asked Nugent to play deep which in turn means that he's less likely to be a goalscoring predator in and around the 6 yard box. However do not underestimate his contribution as he is important to the system that we deploy.

With regards to the other two players that you mention coming in to play the Nugent role. If they were as good as you mention, how come neither of them have yet to even force their way on to the bench yet, let alone challenge Nugent for his jersey?

I'm sure Powell and Lawrence will play their part at some point in the season but let's not get carried away and think that they are suddenly going to propel us up the league and contribute any more or less than Nugent.

I always neglect to point out to you what an undeniable half-wit you are in these discussions, so I'd appreciate it if you'd afford me the same courtesy. Especially when I'm stating a straightforward fact.

It's a chance, he didn't score it. You asked for an example of a chance he hasn't converted and I gave you one. If you look back over the last match thread, as I did last night when you asked me to name the minute this happened in, then you'll find there were others of the same opinion.

There are more examples, of course. More examples, at least, than you can find examples of him having scored crucial chances this season.

Of course, the ultimate test will come in the coming weeks. I'd love Nugent to cement a place in the side, seizing and setting up crucial goals; but his record this season and over sixty previous matches at this level where, over time, he was considered not good enough for struggling and ultimately relegated sides suggests that there should be a question mark over his place in the side.

And Pearson appears to agree with me; though he's a solid enough professional not to admit it. After all, he has just signed two #10 strikers. Or maybe I'm an absolute fking clown for having noticed that.

I've not called you a clown I said you were being one. Which I'm sorry, you are. lol

Are ya? lol

I said clear cut chance (bolded as your reading doesn't seem quite up the standard your writing) which that chance is most definitely not for the reasons I've already given you so your not stating anything factual. What you're stating is utter rubbish. Just for a change. Mind you you seem to be saying Cambiasso was our best player now as well so I'm starting to wonder if you've actually watched a different game to the rest of us.

I've seen one clear cut chance which he undeniably should of taken, and he's scored one crucial goal against Man U. So even that statement is wrong.

His record in this division is terrible, goal scoring wise, and I has hoping he'd be a bit part player at most this season however from what I've seen from him so far, that being some excellent performances equating two 8 points on the board, I'm happy for him to play a larger part even if it means he only score 5-8 goals. Besides the opinion he should be dropped is not what I have a problem with even if I don't agree with it it's A) the way Grewkes puts it across B) The timing of it (WE'VE LOST QUICK BLAME NUGENT FOR EVERYTHING)

And yes if you think Powell or Lawrence (I presume this is who you mean as I can't for the life of me think of anyone else) are going to seriously threaten Nugents place any time soon, especially Lawrence who will more than likely spend the season in the development squad, you are being a clown. I don't think either has made it as far as the bench yet,. Nugent has competition but it's mostly from players who would play a different role.

Clearly Pearson doesn't agree with you, that would be why Nugents started every single game so far. :rolleyes:

it is annoying that we've lost twice for different reasons, chelsea being the best team in the league and the main fact that palace did a job on us and we can't defend set pieces, yet both losses are nugent's fault according to most. yet when we win he barely gets a mention. been like that for about 2 years tho so dunno why anyone thinks it'll change anytime soon 

The position behind the striker requires the following....

-Good positioning

-Good touch

-Good passing

-Quick feet/thinking

Nuge has very little of the above, or at least very little compared to some of our other squad players such as Mahrez.

You can insult me all you want. All I have done is raised a point, and I believed I have raised it validly. I haven't gone around insulting players, suggesting that unknown quantities like Powell are better than nugent. I haven't even suggested a replacement, with the exception of trying mahrez, someone quicker, with a killer pass, behind ulloa.

This isn't a scapegoating thread based on today's performances. But a continuation from last season. Of course, penalties 'do count'....but when you don't win them yourself, and do not score many in open play, you are basically only on the field for penalties.

On the subject of rooney, who we all criticized for doing exactly what nugent has done so far this season (with the exception of netting in open play), is a great example of how someone in Nugent's role should play. He assists and scores many goals, unlike nugent. Players who play in that 'linking' role still score goals and create a lot of chances....nugent hasn't done either so far this season.

Cambiasso's comment about adapting to the pace of the English game was perfect...'No one can run as fast as the ball'. I am afraid for nugent, at this moment, the games are simply passing him by.

His contribution so far this season, is just like hume in the championship. Lots of legs, limited quality.

Didn't Nugent have a bucketload of goals and assists last season when combined?

Look, it's quite likely that every player will be dropped at some stage. Form and formations will dictate that. Nugent may not play the next game, and I wouldn't have a problem with that.

The huge issue with the anti-Nugent agenda is that people who haven't understood his contribution for the games where we play well leap on him when the team plays badly. The team. Nuge was far from the worst player yesterday. People who don't get what Nugent does are exactly the same as those who didn't get Heskey: invisible playing in a good team, unmissable in a losing one.

We may well have played better with a different formation yesterday. But our losing was not Nugent's fault any more than any other player's, and a big part of winning against Man United was down to him. As such, he'll play against Burnley if we play with a no.10. That's basically it.

Okay then, let me assure you I do like Nugent and do appreciate his role in the side. I also see why it's often overlooked. But we have to be careful that we don't confuse people thinking that he doesn't quite bring enough to the table, with people simply not understanding how he functions within the side. There have been plenty of managers who have also taken the opinion that he doesn't do enough at this level; it's not just a case of daft Leicester fans!

And Pearson appears to agree with me; though he's a solid enough professional not to admit it. After all, he has just signed two #10 strikers. Or maybe I'm an absolute fking clown for having noticed that.

lol

nugent has played more games for us than anyone else since the start of last season. but sure, pearson agrees he's shit. 

it is annoying that we've lost twice for different reasons, chelsea being the best team in the league and the main fact that palace did a job on us and we can't defend set pieces, yet both losses are nugent's fault according to most. yet when we win he barely gets a mention. been like that for about 2 years tho so dunno why anyone thinks it'll change anytime soon

You're completely right, and maybe I should stop being surprised, but I'm an optimist and you always hope people will learn...

You're completely right, and maybe I should stop being surprised, but I'm an optimist and you always hope people will learn...

haha, we can hope. 

his positives seem to be glossed over as "yeh that's what he should do, so what" and his negatives get x10000 every time he even runs slightly in the wrong direction. 

In all fairness I think Nugent deserves a little more respect than assessing his outputs over the last 6 games. Don't forget that this is a player who has finished as our top goalscorer for the last 3 seasons, and who scored more goals than Ulloa last season so clearly he knows where the back of the net is.

Fair play to Ulloa for his fantastic start, he has looked brilliant so far and I hope his form continues but there is still a very long way to go for ALL of our strikers to increase their tally. I also think Ulloa will grab all of the headlines as he plays the most advanced role of all of our strikers, and clearly from a tactical perspective Pearson has asked Nugent to play deep which in turn means that he's less likely to be a goalscoring predator in and around the 6 yard box. However do not underestimate his contribution as he is important to the system that we deploy.

With regards to the other two players that you mention coming in to play the Nugent role. If they were as good as you mention, how come neither of them have yet to even force their way on to the bench yet, let alone challenge Nugent for his jersey?

I'm sure Powell and Lawrence will play their part at some point in the season but let's not get carried away and think that they are suddenly going to propel us up the league and contribute any more or less than Nugent.

Look, I like Nugent. I felt he was important last season, I feel he's under-appreciated by many and believe he's been effective at times this season, I just wonder whether he's been effective enough. And we'd be daft not to wonder, because he's been deemed not good enough for the top flight on more than one occasion in the past. We can't overlook the recent signings of two #10 forwards and imagine that it has nothing to do with the question marks that hang over Nugent, and we can't kid ourselves that he's answered any of those questions in the first few weeks of the campaign.

lol

nugent has played more games for us than anyone else since the start of last season. but sure, pearson agrees he's shit. 

And this doesn't help either - people simply misquoting me. I have argued quite firmly and clearly that Nugent is a very good player. All I am suggesting is that he is unproven at this level and, unlike some others in the side, has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself in the past. And there is a straightforward fact - we have just brought in two separate #10 forwards, both of which are in the first team squad, both of which seem to believe they'll be seeing plenty of action this season.

Of course Pearson rates Nugent. He - we all - have every reason to rate Nugent. But if you can't see that he is looking closely at what he brings to the first team, then there's no hope.

And this doesn't help either - people simply misquoting me. I have argued quite firmly and clearly that Nugent is a very good player. All I am suggesting is that he is unproven at this level and, unlike some others in the side, has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself in the past. And there is a straightforward fact - we have just brought in two separate #10 forwards, both of which are in the first team squad, both of which seem to believe they'll be seeing plenty of action this season.

Of course Pearson rates Nugent. He - we all - have every reason to rate Nugent. But if you can't see that he is looking closely at what he brings to the first team, then there's no hope.

Yeah you keep saying that.

You seem to forget their both U21 and therefore qualify for the squad automatically, and haven't managed to even get on our bench yet.

They're 20 years old there here to grow into players not challenge Nugent for a start as I've already told you.  Their signing has the square root of nothing to do with anything connected to David Nugent.

Archived