Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

But he was our top scorer last season.

Had we have won today, we would be top 4 tonight, which just goes to show how hard this league is. Given the start we had and how well we have done, it is unreasonable to think we can keep that level of performance every game, especially against a team as negative as palace. We are still joint on points with utd and spurs and have a point more than Liverpool!

Can't we just enjoy it rather than be negative about the players that, bar today, have done so well?

He was class last week but absolutely wank (like the rest of the team) today. He touched the ball about twice in the second half

Seriously though...What did he actually do against United?

It was a great team performance.....but I cannot remember him do anything except the penalty.....

I honestly cannot remember him touching the ball very often, If at all.

Had we have won today, we would be top 4 tonight, which just goes to show how hard this league is. Given the start we had and how well we have done, it is unreasonable to think we can keep that level of performance every game, especially against a team as negative as palace. We are still joint on points with utd and spurs and have a point more than Liverpool!

Can't we just enjoy it rather than be negative about the players that, bar today, have done so well?

Palace were not negative...they just have a plan and it worked.

The way they broke was similar to what we tried at the bridge.

It was a great team performance.....but I cannot remember him do anything except the penalty.....

This is why you have no valid opinion. If you can't answer the question you just asked you do not see a lot of what happens on a football pitch! I'm not trying to shoot you down, and am deadly serious!

Grewks you need to have a day off and go back to the Shrewsbury town forums or something.

What did he do against United, embarrassing comment son, besides the goal he scored....ffs he shut down Blind completely who had sat and dictated United's midfield the game previous, and was involved in a lot of our forward moves and overall fantastic team display. He's also had a hand in several of our goals this season, providing a key pass for the stoke goal if I remember correctly, we've got a fantastic 8 points on the board thus far this season, and he's played a part in that.

I'd understand the criticism of him not scoring had he had a lot of chances but besides the one at the Bridge which most of us know he should score, he's not really had a clear cut chance, and how you can have a go today of all days is beyond me, Vardy and Ulloa both should of scored and golden boy should of squared Nugent the ball at 1-0 but instead decided to take on his man becuase he now thinks he's Lionel Messi, lost the ball and squandered a fantastic opportunity for us. Nugent was arguablely the best of a bad bunch for me which makes you resuming your hate campaign today of all days absolutely bizarre and might be the reason your hearing the term scape goat so much, as that's exactly what it is. 

I think Nugent brings plenty to the team but we have to park our admiration for his form in the Championship to one side when we're considering his impact on a Premier League side. On balance, I believe a #10 forward needs to do more at this level.

It's not scapegoating, neither is it a case of turning on Nugent. It's an observation that he's had good chances to score at critical moments this season and, penalty aside, hasn't. And we haven't seen much of him as a provider either.

The fact that Nugent has played the bulk of his career outside the top flight, while his previous experience of the highest level has been largely unsuccessful suggests that we're right to wonder whether he can be effective enough. And I suspect Pearson is wondering too - after all, he brought in two separate #10s on Deadline Day.

And, out of curiosity, if Pearson confirms this by dropping Nuge, will those posters who have been up in arms over criticism of Nugent suddenly be up in arms over the decision to drop him?

Or maybe I'm missing the point!

Top post, Manwell.

Unbelievable this thread.

I think Nugent brings plenty to the team but we have to park our admiration for his form in the Championship to one side when we're considering his impact on a Premier League side. On balance, I believe a #10 forward needs to do more at this level.

It's not scapegoating, neither is it a case of turning on Nugent. It's an observation that he's had good chances to score at critical moments this season and, penalty aside, hasn't. And we haven't seen much of him as a provider either.

The fact that Nugent has played the bulk of his career outside the top flight, while his previous experience of the highest level has been largely unsuccessful suggests that we're right to wonder whether he can be effective enough. And I suspect Pearson is wondering too - after all, he brought in two separate #10s on Deadline Day.

And, out of curiosity, if Pearson confirms this by dropping Nuge, will those posters who have been up in arms over criticism of Nugent suddenly be up in arms over the decision to drop him?

Has he? Name them. Besides Chelsea away.

Grewks you need to have a day off and go back to the Shrewsbury town forums or something.

What did he do against United, embarrassing comment son, besides the goal he scored....ffs he shut down Blind completely who had sat and dictated United's midfield the game previous, and was involved in a lot of our forward moves and overall fantastic team display. He's also had a hand in several of our goals this season, providing a key pass for the stoke goal if I remember correctly, we've got a fantastic 8 points on the board thus far this season, and he's played a part in that.

I'd understand the criticism of him not scoring had he had a lot of chances but besides the one at the Bridge which most of us know he should score, he's not really had a clear cut chance, and how you can have a go today of all days is beyond me, Vardy and Ulloa both should of scored and golden boy should of squared Nugent the ball at 1-0 but instead decided to take on his man becuase he now thinks he's Lionel Messi, lost the ball and squandered a fantastic opportunity for us. Nugent was arguablely the best of a bad bunch for me which makes you resuming your hate campaign today of all days absolutely bizarre and might be the reason your hearing the term scape goat so much, as that's exactly what it is. 

I agree with most of this. That said, someone pointed out earlier that there is a difference between games where we're trying to hurt sides on the counter attack, and games where we're allowed to dictate play for periods. Do you not think Nugent might be better suited to one than the other? And, while I appreciate how effective he can be, do you think Pearson will be satisfied that he has been effective often enough?

Unbelievable this thread.

Has he? Name them. Besides Chelsea away.

Well, Palace away for a start.

When?? He had one shot I can remember where he skied it but I doubt any of our strikers today would have buried that. 

He had one blocked that was pulled back. He was about 14 yards out. Hard to tell from where I was whether the chance was easy or not so easy.

Yes nuge has missed one or two this season your correct.

Not having a go at you but no one mentioned his miss last week as we won.

But this week it is all his fault and even Kasper is getting it FFS.

Alot on here having 2 pts upto now some had our first point against Burnley.

We have had a great start and cos of that a loss at Palace means some pick on our squad ffs we are 10th NOT BOTTOM.

I agree with most of this. That said, someone pointed out earlier that there is a difference between games where we're trying to hurt sides on the counter attack, and games where we're allowed to dictate play for periods. Do you not think Nugent might be better suited to one than the other? And, while I appreciate how effective he can be, do you think Pearson will be satisfied that he has been effective often enough?

Well, Palace away for a start.

I think it's a bit early to say given this is one game, I'd be raising questions about all three of them today to be honest but it's one game and we were disappointing on the whole, we move on. If the problems are there they'll be evident in a few games time given the run in we now have.

Well I must of missed this clear cut chance....so did the BBC report I've just read. Unless your on about that shot he had that was destined for the bottom corner but was deflected wide? I will admit I missed a few moments chunks of the game at the time due to the bern but I don't think I he had one, Vardy and Ulloa certainly both did, and Vardy had a wonderful chance to put Nugent through yet decided that he's concentrating on his Ballon effort as opposed to the team. And yet they avoid all critisism because one played last week and the other has had a decent start in front of goal? 

Just before the 50 minute mark I think, great chance which ended up being deflected wide. They were ahead a minute or two later.

So inkley man u no credit for the defender getting something on it.

Nuge is shite cos a player got something on his shot.

Just before the 50 minute mark I think, great chance which ended up being deflected wide. They were ahead a minute or two later.

Are you fcking joking? That's in the corner if it doesn't get deflected, and he's not even in the penalty area.

Amazing, absolutley amazing

Yes nuge has missed one or two this season your correct.

Not having a go at you but no one mentioned his miss last week as we won.

But this week it is all his fault and even Kasper is getting it FFS.

Alot on here having 2 pts upto now some had our first point against Burnley.

We have had a great start and cos of that a loss at Palace means some pick on our squad ffs we are 10th NOT BOTTOM.

No, it isn't all his fault. This could equally be a thread about De Laet, Hammond, Drinkwater, Vardy... but I think there are a few valid questions being asked about Nugent.

But you're right about it being a good start. I thought 8 from our first 8 games would be a decent return so I'm pretty chuffed with how things have gone. But maybe we all got a bit carried away last week, and there's no harm in getting our feet back on the ground, and remembering that there are still things we need to improve on.

Are you fcking joking? That's in the corner if it doesn't get deflected, and he's not even in the penalty area.

Amazing, absolutley amazing

That's the point isn't it? It got deflected. It's like saying 'that penalty would have been a goal if the keeper hadn't saved it'. He had a chance and he didn't score it. Yes it was on target, yes if the defender hadn't been in the way it would have gone in, but it didn't go in.

I appreciate that it wasn't a six yard tap-in which he blazed over the bar, that it was on target, that it wasn't a must-score match-altering balls-up, but you asked me for an example of a chance he'd had and had failed to convert, and I thought I'd start with one from today's game.

That's the point isn't it? It got deflected. It's like saying 'that penalty would have been a goal if the keeper hadn't saved it'. He had a chance and he didn't score it. Yes it was on target, yes if the defender hadn't been in the way it would have gone in, but it didn't go in.

I appreciate that it wasn't a six yard tap-in which he blazed over the bar, that it was on target, that it wasn't a must-score match-altering balls-up, but you asked me for an example of a chance he'd had and had failed to convert, and I thought I'd start with one from today's game.

Erm, fkcing no, your being an utter clown on this score i'm afraid, he's outside the box for one and he's got several defenders in front of him including one trying to block the shot and the one that's deflected it, all in all it's a really, really good effort. And you want to class that as a "clear cut chance" ridiculous. He's done pretty much all he can do with that effort bent it round the man in front of him and probably beaten the keeper if it didn't take a nick.

As I said, amazing.

Archived