Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unit

Giving blood...

It's because of the heightened risk of you having caught something nasty as a result of the 'needle work' you've had done. They cannot take for granted that wherever you went to get yours done has the highest standards of hygiene, because although a lot do, some are probably not so careful

Ah right, fair enough then.

But if you've caught something by having a tattoo or piercing, then surely you'll still have it in 6 months? Or is it just that symptoms can take upto 6 months to appear? :dunno:

Well done to you mate, I am a blood donor too. It is very easy and just think of the difference it could make, It is a shame more people don't go a long.

The amount of older people in there compared to younger people is quite scary (At my local one anyway). The refreshments are rather great though.

:thumbup:

Nice one.

It was individual pieces of Genoa cake, fruit shorties and Mint Clubs today. You really can't go wrong.

It is a shame more people don't go, it never seems that busy. I just go in my lunch hour

I've just given blood. Aren't I brilliant? Not really, it's a piece of piss (not literally).

It's very easy to moan about the state of the world, and God knows I do, but this is a simple and easy piece of GOOD that you can do.

They're after my platelets as well, so if it turns out they're any good I get to spend EVEN LONGER in there eating free biscuits

I am a blood doner myself, surprised anyone? :giggle:

It does actually make you feel good about yourself!

They want my platelets too, are you going to do it? Don't think I fancy being hooked up to a Dialaysis machine for a few hours! Let me know what its like you do it anyway.

Edited by Standupandsing

It's fine.

You have to fill in a form to check you haven't got AIDS or anything like that, then they **** your finger and test if your blood's got enough iron, then you go on the bed and they take the bllod out.

Actually taking the blood isn't too bad, like someone said if anything it's like a very slight dull ache on your arm, you wouldn't say it hurt or anything.

The bag with the blood in is below the level of the bed thing you're lying on so you don't see that.

They make you have tea and biscuits (it's like heaven) and then you can trot off home.

I've done it about 8 times now and never had a problem.

From reading your posts I'm assuming you're at least four, she should be fine to give blood again.

How does filling in a form check whether you've got AIDS? Surely if you had AIDS then you wouldn't go in the first place. Unless you were a bit head mental and wanted to spread AIDS around without having to do any bumming, in which case you'd just lie on the form anyway?!

Would of thought they'd do an actual HIV test?? Hope I never have to have a blood transfusion now, who knows what type of hussies are just going for the wagon wheels.

I am a blood doner myself, surprised anyone? :giggle:

It does actually make you feel good about yourself!

They want my platelets too, are you going to do it? Don't think I fancy being hooked up to a Dialaysis machine for a few hours! Let me know what its like you do it anyway.

You can go more often, because they put back a lot of what they take back, but apparently it takes longer to do - you can be there for an hour and a half (so take a book).

I can walk to the blood centre from my office and my house, so if I have to go every month or so (in contrast to the usual every 4 months) it's no big deal

How does filling in a form check whether you've got AIDS? Surely if you had AIDS then you wouldn't go in the first place. Unless you were a bit head mental and wanted to spread AIDS around without having to do any bumming, in which case you'd just lie on the form anyway?!

Would of thought they'd do an actual HIV test?? Hope I never have to have a blood transfusion now, who knows what type of hussies are just going for the wagon wheels.

They do all the tests as well. Just not while you're there. The form doesn't literally say "You got AIDs mate?", it asks questions about whether you've been to any areas that're high risk, whether you've been whoring yourself out etc. Go here and click on the link to see the type of questions they ask.

They do all the tests as well. Just not while you're there. The form doesn't literally say "You got AIDs mate?", it asks questions about whether you've been to any areas that're high risk, whether you've been whoring yourself out etc. Go here and click on the link to see the type of questions they ask.

On that thing it basically does. All the question were about whether I'm preggers or have given blood in the laast 16 weeks and then a big box flashed up the end saying 'Please don't give blood if you think you've got HIV.' Alrite, seeing as you asked nicely.

I'm long overdue to give blood again... I think I even get a $25 gift certificate that can be used at several good local restaurants for the next time I go. Yay.

My local hospital relies on blood donors for nearly all of its supply, so this is a great and easy way for me to help out my community. Plus, if I'm in a predicament and I really need a blood transfusion, it'd be wise for me to stash some of my O+ over there.

My local hospital gives free cookies and juice, and also a $10 gift certificate to the hospital cafeteria for a free meal when you're done. The food's not exactly world-class, but you can really fill yourself up there for $10. I usually don't take the gift card because I'm not doing it for the food, but I joke around and tell friends that if they're ever dead broke and can't afford food, they can give blood and that'll have them sorted for at least one day over an eight-week span.

I've been meaning to give blood for ages. It's something I've never done, but feel is really important. To be honest, I've just never got round to finding out about where sessions are held, and when etc.

Anyways, this thread has just guilt-tripped me into finding out. If anyone is interested in donating blood, I'd suggest visiting the Give Blood Website. On there there's a 'session finder' facility where you just put your postcode in and it tells you where the nearest sessions are and when. I must admit, there were lots nearer to me (and at convenient 'after work' or weekend times too) than I'd imagined there would be. Also - and, again, I hadn't realised this and had always been put off by the thought of having to hang around if it was busy - you can book an appointment online. All remarkably straightforward. I'll be going for the first time towards the end of the month.

Do you get stickers as well as tea and biccys? I'd be particularly impressed if I got a '...for being brave' sticker. :ph34r::blush:

If you go, I'll get you a sticker. It will probably be of Morrissey or something.

The one in Leicester City centre is never busy. I've never had to wait more than five minutes or so.

I'm very glad that people are thinking of giving it a go. That was the whole point of me bumping the thread

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

Homosexual can't give blood because it increases the risk of catchin 'Gay', not Aids.

Also, if you have ever shared a towel with another man who isn't your father, that can lead to Gay.

Or is you have ever drunk Rose wine.

Homosexual can't give blood because it increases the risk of catchin 'Gay', not Aids.

Also, if you have ever shared a towel with another man who isn't your father, that can lead to Gay.

Catch gay, not aids.

Haha love it.

The joke. Not aids. Definitely not Aids.

:o Oh, bollocks, does that mean I'm gay?* I knew I should have stuck to the 'proper' wine at that party. :angry:

*Disclaimer: not that there's anything wrong with being gay, I hasten to add! :smile::P

:o Oh, bollocks, does that mean I'm gay?* I knew I should have stuck to the 'proper' wine at that party. :angry:

*Disclaimer: not that there's anything wrong with being gay, I hasten to add! :smile::P

No. You've said it now. Can't take it back :P.

And none of this :cry: or puppy-eyes anymore :giggle:

I would not mind giving blood (though I may feel rather dizzy as I have low blood pressure. In fact, not sure they let you give blood if your blood pressure is a bit low).

I have read, however, that blood that has been stored for even a few weeks is not "as good" as "fresh blood" so perhaps - as you are encouraging to do - it is very important to have a constant input of new blood, as opposed to getting lots of people donating blood in one go... (as may happen on a "promotion day").

I would not mind giving blood (though I may feel rather dizzy as I have low blood pressure. In fact, not sure they let you give blood if your blood pressure is a bit low).

I have read, however, that blood that has been stored for even a few weeks is not "as good" as "fresh blood" so perhaps - as you are encouraging to do - it is very important to have a constant input of new blood, as opposed to getting lots of people donating blood in one go... (as may happen on a "promotion day").

My blood pressure has historically been very low - it runs in the family - but it's never been a problem when I've been donated. I'm a big lad so maybe a pint doesn't make that much difference to me