Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Schlupp

If Schulpp is worth 50million what is Mahrez worth?

90million? 110million?

Derisory. He'll be the first £1bn player!

just watched every MOTD Leicester highlights from the West Ham game to the QPR, every match he played he has been phenomenal. Brilliant player well played Jeff :wub:

You have a link or just recorded them?

• 4 months later...

What's everyone's thoughts on him? I like the lad, I think he has a bright future.

However his quality in the final third is pretty poor imo, to be a winger. His positional sense at left back is questionable, but his pace is a good outlet.

He is good back up for Fuchs at LB. But right now we have three proven wingers, in Mahrez, Albrighton & Dyer.

I think Schluppy could benefit from some time on the training ground improving on his finishing and crossing, if he wants to be a winger...

Just something to point out; he's not even 23 yet... Frightening. He's starting to add consistency but because he's such a good lad, he also realises the need to do something brainless each match to keep the crowd entertained.

In all seriousness though, he has improved so much since he's been in the Prem plus he's had to play in so many different positions which tells you a lot about him and how highly the managers rate him. The day everything clicks into place, he will be ridiculous, and I'm talking because of his ability rather than his comedic value...  :thumbup:

To me his best position is supporting the strikers as an attacking central midfield player but his value as a supplementary defender makes him valuable wide left.

Like others I still think he needs to work on specific skills like shooting and crossing. And work damned hard. Others like Vardy have clearly focused on developing their weaknesses but Schlupp seems no better at the things I've mentioned than he was as an Academy player.

He needs to recognise the importance because, otherwise,  he'll end up as no more than a squad player instead of a regular starter.

Speed and strength are wonderful assets but there needs to be more of a threat, more of an end product.

Today offered a prime example.

He had one glorious chance. No, it wasn't the easiest. But I'm just glad the helicopter wasn't hanging around cos he didn't test the goalkeeper or even threaten the goal, it went so high. It amazes me that his shooting is so strangely inconsistent.              

To me his best position is supporting the strikers as an attacking central midfield player               

Based on his two brief cameos in that position recently I have to disagree. He looks lost, he doesn't have the speed of mind, positional sense, close control or the ability to pick a quick and effective pass required to play in such a tightly contested area of the pitch. In fact for me he doesn't have any of the attributes you need from an attacking midfield player and is in fact noticeably weak in those areas.

For me he's a passable full back but Fuchs is considerably better. He's a poor to average winger by premier league standards. If Ranieri decides to start Mahrez back on the wing, and he should, then a spell on the bench beckons for Jeff. He might make a useful impact sub against tired legs, but that's about as much as I think we should rely  on him for this season.

Based on his two brief cameos in that position recently I have to disagree. He looks lost, he doesn't have the speed of mind, positional sense, close control or the ability to pick a quick and effective pass required to play in such a tightly contested area of the pitch. In fact for me he doesn't have any of the attributes you need from an attacking midfield player and is in fact noticeably weak in those areas.

For me he's a passable full back but Fuchs is considerably better. He's a poor to average winger by premier league standards. If Ranieri decides to start Mahrez back on the wing, and he should, then a spell on the bench beckons for Jeff. He might make a useful impact sub against tired legs, but that's about as much as I think we should rely on him for this season.

To describe him as poor to average is incredibly harsh. It's only in recent weeks he hasn't been absolutely destroying his fullback, like he usually does.

Will certainly need to improve his final ball though

Just something to point out; he's not even 23 yet... Frightening. He's starting to add consistency but because he's such a good lad, he also realises the need to do something brainless each match to keep the crowd entertained.

In all seriousness though, he has improved so much since he's been in the Prem plus he's had to play in so many different positions which tells you a lot about him and how highly the managers rate him. The day everything clicks into place, he will be ridiculous, and I'm talking because of his ability rather than his comedic value...  :thumbup:

And when CR was questioned about Vardy or Mahrez being sold in January he replied "No one is going not Vardy, not Mahrez, not Schlupp".

I don't know if he consciously added Schlupp or he holds him in that high regard he values them all in the same bracket? 

He's yet to drop Schlupp yet maybe he will as he subbed him at half time today?

To describe him as poor to average is incredibly harsh. It's only in recent weeks he hasn't been absolutely destroying his fullback, like he usually does.

Will certainly need to improve his final ball though

I said poor to average by premier league standards and I think describing him even as an average premier league winger is being generous. He's only the fourth best winger in our squad, not including Vardy who would also make a better winger.

He occasionally destroys a full back for pace but, as you allude to, can't follow it up with an end product. It's pointless beating your full back if you can't then deliver anything dangerous, and Schlupp rarely does.

He played a lovely ball through to Fuchs (I think) today, and I thought he had a decent first half by his standards but it's surely becoming clear that he shouldn't be first choice on the wing in a squad that has Mahrez and Albrighton tearing it up and Dyer looking dangerous every time he comes on.

With the team sitting joint top of the league and Schlupp having played in a good many of our wins since last April I wouldn't be quite so dismissive and the same might be said of others like King, Shinji and even our centre-backs if you want to take it that far.

Many have commented on the frustrating weaknesses of Schlupp and I guess there'll be a limit on how much time he gets to improve them but, for all that, he's made significant contributions at times in what has been almost unparalleled success.

His presence contributes to the whole and it seems that, sometimes, we're harder to combat when he's playing that when he's not. The same might be said about others if the truth were known because not every consequence relates to what happens on the ball.

No, I'm not making excuses for him or anyone else either. I've implored Schlupp to work on his deficiencies.

But when I see our relatively inexpensive team winning week after week - and so often impressing in doing so - I'm inclined to look for the strengths in people as well as the weaknesses because it's hard to believe there can be many passengers in any team that has collected the number of points we've racked up over such a long period.

Shinji's a brilliant example. Not many goals or assists but hardly any bad results either. Why? People have suggested some reasons and it's worth considering them alongside one's own thoughts.

I used to think dropping King was a mistake but we've done just as well with him on the bench so who knows?

How will we fare without Schlupp or Shinji? I don't know but we've sure done well while playing them and with others who've come in for criticism.

Sometimes it seems our team performs better collectively than it does as individual parts.

Look at Vardy today. Busy as always but the bloke had just two chances and scored once. That's hardly a breathtaking individual performance. Yet he was an inspiration. Watford must have been so glad to see him go off - and so deflated to see him return.  

Then take Huth.  A short while back people were grumbling about him not being the same player he was last season - and that the defence was looking fragile.

But, with a little tweaking, the defence suddenly looks much more solid and Huth was like a second skin with his marking today while recent bogeyman Morgan was a hero. 

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's hard to see all the picture, all the time. And that includes me as much as anyone else.                

Archived