Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Schlupp

As a full-back he's easily surpassed Konchesky by a mile. As a left winger he has easily surpassed Lloyd Dyer now by a mile. As a wing-back he seems absolutely perfectly suited. Hard to knock him when he's easily the best player we have had in recent memory in 3 different positions, all of which he is relatively new to. 

But he still has his flaws and I expect him to get a lot better yet. Looking forward to seeing it.

I agree with this.

We're lucky to have him. And he's on a long term contract and he's only 22.

Could turn into one of the PL's best down the left.

Guest ttfn

And for how long? English football isn't exactly blessed with interesting left-sided players

At left back we've got Baines, Bertrand, Gibbs and Shaw who are all proven top flight full backs.

Beyond them you've got Rose at Spurs, Cresswell at West Ham and by all accounts Targett at Southampton and Garbutt at Everton are thought to have greater potential than even the incumbents.

I think we're pretty well stocked for at least the next 10 years.

Guest ttfn

I agree with this.

We're lucky to have him. And he's on a long term contract and he's only 22.

Could turn into one of the PL's best down the left.

Yeah he will probably turn out better than Hazard

At left back we've got Baines, Bertrand, Gibbs and Shaw who are all proven top flight full backs.

Beyond them you've got Rose at Spurs, Cresswell at West Ham and by all accounts Targett at Southampton and Garbutt at Everton are thought to have greater potential than even the incumbents.

I think we're pretty well stocked for at least the next 10 years.

Just out of interest, does this mean you see Schlupp as a full back in the long term? 

Something I think people don't give Schluppers enough credit for is that up until part way through last season he'd been a striker his entire career, so even though he's 22 he's very, very young relative to the experience of his position and can definitely still improve vastly imo.

A striker who had already scored a hat-trick for us.

A striker who had already scored a hat-trick for us.

...on his debut, aged just 18; albeit against a weaker opposition. 

Also crazy to think that before he got his debut at Leicester, he'd already played in the Johnstone Paint Trophy final at Wembley. 

Guest ttfn

Just out of interest, does this mean you see Schlupp as a full back in the long term?

No I see him as a winger but England don't play with wingers and if they did then he'd probably be behind Sterling, Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner and Downing.

Then again in a world where Andros Townsend is an England international then I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Jeff would make a few squads in the future. No great loss for England though.

Guest ttfn

Something I think people don't give Schluppers enough credit for is that up until part way through last season he'd been a striker his entire career, so even though he's 22 he's very, very young relative to the experience of his position and can definitely still improve vastly imo.

I think this is a fair point and one I don't really think about.

It's not really been fair on Schlupp having to play virtually every game this season in a position in which he's not familiar. He's picked up a lot since Christmas but before that he was totally out of his depth and since then inconsistent. It's been raised many times before but if we go down the failure to re-inforce the left side of the pitch will be a huge reason.

Well said. Anyone who cannot see what he brings to the team knows very little about football. I would think he's one of the first names on the team sheet. Simply because he's they only one who can provide good defensive cover with excellent attacking options. Yes he has issues which I've elaborated on before. All easily fixable, He still is only 22. He can only get better as he has done all season.

Could be a future legend.

Still cannot fully trust him at left back due to his awful concentration but he's growing on me as a player. He's looking better and better going forward I think and as someone else said, won us all three set pieces we scored from.

Apparently started more games than anyone this season.... Not sure how accurate that is but wouldn't be surprised.

It's not accurate. Wes Morgan has started all but 1 league game this season.

Well said. Anyone who cannot see what he brings to the team knows very little about football. I would think he's one of the first names on the team sheet. Simply because he's they only one who can provide good defensive cover with excellent attacking options. Yes he has issues which I've elaborated on before. All easily fixable, He still is only 22. He can only get better as he has done all season.

Could be a future legend.

He's done ok, but don't give me that holier-than-thou "anyone who cannot see what he brings to the team knows very little about football" ad hominem guff. I can see what he brings to the team, but I can also see his glaring flaws. His lack of intelligence and his tendency to just put his head down and run with the ball without looking up to find a player in space and he often runs straight into traffic.

He's had a very erratic season overall. He'll go on runs of 3 or 4 excellent performances and then 3 or 4 dreadful ones and people will decide that he's either great or crap depending on which kind of form he's in, when the truth is he's neither, he's just erratic.

He has potential if he can be more consistent but he's certainly not one of the first names on the team sheet as it stands and I think ultimately LWB is still one of the places we need to strengthen most

It's not accurate. Wes Morgan has started all but 1 league game this season.

He's done ok, but don't give me that holier-than-thou "anyone who cannot see what he brings to the team knows very little about football" ad hominem guff. I can see what he brings to the team, but I can also see his glaring flaws. His lack of intelligence and his tendency to just put his head down and run with the ball without looking up to find a player in space and he often runs straight into traffic.

He's had a very erratic season overall. He'll go on runs of 3 or 4 excellent performances and then 3 or 4 dreadful ones and people will decide that he's either great or crap depending on which kind of form he's in, when the truth is he's neither, he's just erratic.

He has potential if he can be more consistent but he's certainly not one of the first names on the team sheet as it stands and I think ultimately LWB is still one of the places we need to strengthen most

Well, like it or not he is because he's started practically every game he's been fit for.

he is "one of the first names on the teamsheet" in this formation. but that's because his only competition is a defensive minded, aging paul konchesky. if i turned up and said i could run down the wing and then get back before full time i'd probably be ahead of konchesky in this current formation. 

he is "one of the first names on the teamsheet" in this formation. but that's because his only competition is a defensive minded, aging paul konchesky. if i turned up and said i could run down the wing and then get back before full time i'd probably be ahead of konchesky in this current formation. 

While true if we go 4-4-2 he starts on the left wing. He's been one of very few constants this season along with Morgan. Every other position we've tinkered with much, much more. If Jeff is fit he starts be it as a wing back, winger or left back.

I think Schlupp deserves credit. Who at the start of the season would have predicted the season he's having (for all his occasional limitations with regards concentration)? To learn the role of a left back, a left wing back and a left winger, 'on the job' in the top flight is excellent.

Me....

:thumbup:

Correct again, As an individual player he's a work in progress. As a member of the team he's a vital member simply because he's the only one who can play that position. Could we get a better player, of course we could. But that's not an option at the minute. Which is why he's one of the first names on the time sheet.

it didn't take Mourhino long to figure out our weakness last Week. Jeff wasn't playing because he was out injured, need I say more.

No I see him as a winger but England don't play with wingers and if they did then he'd probably be behind Sterling, Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner and Downing.

Then again in a world where Andros Townsend is an England international then I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Jeff would make a few squads in the future. No great loss for England though.

So, what have we here..Let me first say Schlupp who I backed from beginning of the season, still has a long way to go,

but potential is there.Next season, no ifs n buts, but now go out and show you want the ball, more top games than avg.

Milner, Downing, coming to the end of of International careers.

Sterling, I dont see him any better than our jeff.

Young, potential so far not realised.

Townsend, my first player ink-in to play that type of wingback

Chamberlain, get over injuries, automatic choice.

Maybe Walcott, again injurie worries.

Get jeff in the under 21s, has older player.

Great player in an attacking role down the left but just lacks a bit of defensive awareness in my opinion, saying that though he is young enough to learn that aspect of the game. Great prospect and one player i always like to see on the team sheet.....

Guest MattP

Delighted with him Saturday, usual couple of lapses but if he can maintain his standard of play going forward he's well worth his place with a back 3 behind him as he doesn't mean he's having to defend as an out and out left back.He'll cost us at some point defensively but we just have to hope when it does it won't be at a crucial time.

At LWB he's clearly the best option we have, whether he can do it long term we'll see but his pace has been such an asset recently.

Archived