Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Schlupp

But his decision making is his major flaw, it's what stops him being a consistent threat - what you've just said is that he will get far better.

Not drastically but there'll be some improvement, there's already been some with his decisions.

Lallana is a much better player than Schlupp, Schlupp will improve some more but he's 23 this year not 19, I think people are overestimating his ability to improve, things like his decision making and positioning will improve with experience but he's not going to develop brilliant technical skills.

And people are acting as though he's barely capable of controlling the ball. He shows flashes of brilliant skill and flashes of incompetence, he certainly has it in him to improve

And people are acting as though he's barely capable of controlling the ball. He shows flashes of brilliant skill and flashes of incompetence, he certainly has it in him to improve

he does have flashes of brilliance but I don't think the flashes of incompetence can be coached out of him

Not drastically but there'll be some improvement, there's already been some with his decisions.

Thing is, if he learnt the size of the pitch and to stop shooting at the near post after his runs, he'd be a far bigger threat - that's the sort of "minor" improvement he'll make. You're talking as if he's technically incompetent and could never be a top half player, technically he's reasonably good, physically he's excellent - his problem is that he's stupid: something that can be improved.

Guest ttfn

Thing is, if he learnt the size of the pitch and to stop shooting at the near post after his runs, he'd be a far bigger threat - that's the sort of "minor" improvement he'll make. You're talking as if he's technically incompetent and could never be a top half player, technically he's reasonably good, physically he's excellent - his problem is that he's stupid: something that can be improved.

I disagree that he's "reasonably good" technically. The amount of crosses he hit last season that had gone out of play before even reaching the near post is testament to that not to mention the 4 or 5 shots (at least) that he had that went straight out of play for throw ins.

He is probably the least technically gifted wide player in the Premier League, but he is fast and strong which, to borrow a phrase from another poster "opens up the pitch" for him.

I disagree that he's "reasonably good" technically. The amount of crosses he hit last season that had gone out of play before even reaching the near post is testament to that not to mention the 4 or 5 shots (at least) that he had that went straight out of play for throw ins.

He is probably the least technically gifted wide player in the Premier League, but he is fast and strong which, to borrow a phrase from another poster "opens up the pitch" for him.

But for crosses and shots like that there's the assists for Ulloa against Arsenal at Home, and goals like QPR away or Burnley home. He's massively inconsistent, not technically poor - he's capable of digging them out but his bearings are god awful: which is why he does the whole let a ball run out of play when he could easily keep it in thing once a game. 

Guest ttfn

But for crosses and shots like that there's the assists for Ulloa against Arsenal at Home, and goals like QPR away or Burnley home. He's massively inconsistent, not technically poor - he's capable of digging them out but his bearings are god awful: which is why he does the whole let a ball run out of play when he could easily keep it in thing once a game.

But that, for me (Clive) is not being good technically. Being good technically is consistently producing quality crosses or passes or touches, not a 5% chance of a beautiful cross, a 5% chance of a woeful shank and a 90% chance of something mediocre.

All professional footballers should be (and I dare say are) capable of producing a cross like Schlupp's against Arsenal once in a while. That doesn't make them "technically good" at all, at least by Premier League standards. I could probably do it given enough opportunities. But genuinely "technically" good players are doing that 2 or 3 times out of 10, not 1 in 20 (or worse).

Vardy put in an even better cross (certainly more technically challenging) for Ulloa against Man United but you won't find me claiming he's got great technique because of that. The very fact that the ball bounced off his shins so frequently in the middle of the season demonstrated a technique that was not comparable to most other forwards in the league and the same has to be said for Schlupp.

If I put 100 crosses into the area, I'd hope that 10 or 20 found their mark perfectly. That doesn't mean I'm 'technically good', it means at best that I'm inconsistent and technically average. 

Someone who's good technically will put in a cross that hits its mark 90-95% of the time. Schlupp is quite a way off that success rate. 

If I put 100 crosses into the area, I'd hope that 10 or 20 found their mark perfectly. That doesn't mean I'm 'technically good', it means at best that I'm inconsistent and technically average.

Someone who's good technically will put in a cross that hits its mark 90-95% of the time. Schlupp is quite a way off that success rate.

It also suggests that he's very good at getting into crossing positions. He's very good at taking on defenders

It also suggests that he's very good at getting into crossing positions. He's very good at taking on defenders

Well, yeh, he's fast and strong. Lets be honest though, if he wasn't fast and strong, would he be playing premier league football?

I doubt it myself. 

Well, yeh, he's fast and strong. Lets be honest though, if he wasn't fast and strong, would he be playing premier league football?

I doubt it myself.

No of course not but it causes defenders all sorts of problems. Think he had a very good debut PL season

: D So is every other player in the Premiership!!

Edin Hazard has a pass completion rate of 87%. But you think that Jeff should be getting 95% of his crosses hitting a team mate!

Do your research!!

: D So is every other player in the Premiership!!

Edin Hazard has a pass completion rate of 87%. But you think that Jeff should be getting 95% of his crosses hitting a team mate!

Do your research!!

Ok, when I say hits its mark, I mean reach a good area of the box, regardless of whether a player managers to get on the end of it. 

Look up the stats for how many Hazard shanks into the stand every game, I bet it'll be less than Jeff does. 

I didn't realise this was a Lloyd Dyer thread

50 million could be right if we talking the old Italian lira.

The only weaknesses he really has are passing, shooting, crossing, heading and tackling, if he can add a brain to his pace he could make a career out of playing in the top flight though.

At the minute he isn't guaranteed to start for us next season let alone be valued among the top 5 players in footballing history.

He seemed to give up on crossing towards the end of the season, he started just belting the ball as hard as he ccould into the box, which was curious to watch, it was at least as dangerous as his normal crossing. I think that's the key with Schlupp , to keep things as simple as possible, because technically he is severely limited for a premier league player, yet he possesses one or two attributes that can cause a real threat.

In truth though I expect us to be laughing about how highly we rated Jeff when Fuchs comesin and shows us what a real top division left back/left wing back looks like.

Archived