Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Schlupp

This bit about defensively Schlupp being risky is rubbish.

I can recall him giving Dyer (one of the quickest wingers in the division) absolutely nothing when we played Swansea at home.

Yesterday, defensively he was making tackle after tackle, especially in the second half.

It's his pace that does it..he can lose a challenge, but is quick enough to get back and try again.

Every fullback, put under pressure, will make errors..every player does not go through 90 mins without making an error or two.

But when it's defenders (and especially the goalkeeper) it shows..and it can lead to conceding.

Just think how many missed passes Cambiasso might have made yesterday, how many times Vardy should have scored, but didn't, how many times James might have gotten out of position.

These are all 'errors' too...but they get overlooked in games where we are cruising.

Jeff Schlupp both going forward and defensively, is getting better and better.

He's a real asset to have in this side.

You'll never get some of our fans to agree on this. One look at Cambiasso's pedigree makes him a kind of footballing "God" while anyone emerging from the Academy is suspect. Schlupp was a significant threat against Newcastle and, apart from the need to mark him personally, it also meant more space for others and the ball getting into the opposition box all the quicker and testing their defensive readiness.    

You'll never get some of our fans to agree on this. One look at Cambiasso's pedigree makes him a kind of footballing "God" while anyone emerging from the Academy is suspect. Schlupp was a significant threat against Newcastle and, apart from the need to mark him personally, it also meant more space for others and the ball getting into the opposition box all the quicker and testing their defensive readiness.

It's the bias that gets on my pip Thrac.

Appreciate the older experienced star that is Cambiasso by all means. But also look at, encourage and be thankful for our home grown young starlets that could be an important part of our club for years to come.

Appreciate both...in equal measure.

Your love of all things Cambi blind you to the truth.

Cambi makes as many mistakes if not more than Schlupp.

Cambi is not a better defender than Schlupp.

Cambi doesn't put the fear of God into defenders like Schlupp.

Cambi makes passes some of which work someof which don't.

And how disingenuous do you have to be to not admit that everything changed for us when Huth started playing for us. You can say the  formation changed or our confidence changed but those are down to Huth too.

The wins speak for themselves.

The arrival of Huth has saved our season.

POTS

Seeing that Cambiasso has more of the ball every game he plays in compared to Schlupp, it's a given he's also prone to more errors than the latter (yet I don't see him giving the ball away as often as Schlupp did, particularly during our barren spell).

Cambiasso is not usually deployed as a defender, but as a midfielder - Schlupp has been used as a left-back/left-wingback and hardly ever convinced me and the masses.

This criteria is useless, as it hardly applies for one and goes past by the other.

Cambiasso has scored as many goals as Schlupp this season, so who do you think defenders are more scared of? Probably both - they fear Schlupp because of his speed and aggression and Cambiasso for his vision, set-pieces and his knack for scoring from incredible positions.

Cambiasso's passing is miles ahead of anyone else in this team.

Huth may have contributed to our form of late, but it certainly isn't the only piece in the puzzle. We're earning the rewards for our attacking displays, for our generally positive attitude; it's also vindication for the bad luck during the first half or first two thirds of the season and some of the unlucky clearances or own goals we've had to witness.

POTS clearly goes to the one and only Esteban Cambiasso, regardless of where we'll end up next season. He's brought so much stability, class, vision, joy, dedication and professionalism to this club that many other upcoming talents may want to take a slice of that attitude and make it their own.

Alex Ferguson had him on trial for a reason,he saw something

yeah then when he looked again closely he saw something else and sent him straight back... 

Schlupp has had as very good year, still young and very much a case of still learning.

He does get caught out by that ball floated over his head, but that should be an easy fix for a good defensive coach (or a defender tasked with talking to him).

At the midpoint of the year, i didnt think he was up to it in the Prem... but i think given a little more time and effective coaching, we have a gem on our hands.

Schlupp is suspect defensively though, particularly under any crossfield balls: Look at Hutton (Villa away) and Koyoate (West Ham home) - both goals from a simple cross field ball that Schlupp let go over him, resulting in them being in behind without doing anything particularly impressive. Newcastle nearly got the same treat early on on Saturday. Attacking wise, yes, Jeff is good, if still ridiculously inconsistent, but he has got a very long way to go before he's a good defender.

Mate....everybody embraces Cambiasso. I embrace Cambiasso. I've been very positive with nearly all my posts about him recently.

But why can't people also embrace Jeffrey Schlupp? One of our own, young players..clearly improving with every game and an integral part of our recent success.

The criticism that Schlupp has got on this forum over this season is in direct contrast with the praise and adulation heaped upon Esteban Cambiasso.

Why not both? They've both played their part, ESPECIALLY over recent weeks.

Let's applaud and embrace both, rather than keeping on criticising Jeff's supposed defensive frailties.

:thumbup:

Jeff has come on so much, going forward at times he is unplayable.

He does have defensive frailties though, which his pace quite often get him out of. Its more to do with focus for Jeff. There are time he looks a little bit lost.

The whole team have played a massive part in what has happened over the last few weeks.

As wing backs albighton and Jeff have made brought 5_3_2 back to being a useful formation.

Jeff has had a problem with the ball arriving just over his head for a very long time, not just recently. It is time the coacing staff gave him more help with this.

However, Jeff is unique, he is the Jonah Lomu of soccer, he will be awesome and will become a legend for Leicester City. Believe it!

yeah then when he looked again closely he saw something else and sent him straight back...

He was always our player,my point being why would he look at him in the first place,there scouts obviously told Fergie there's a talented young player at Leicester,that's why he had a trial up there,it's no surprise now teams like Swansea are sniffing around.

He was always our player,my point being why would he look at him in the first place,there scouts obviously told Fergie there's a talented young player at Leicester,that's why he had a trial up there,it's no surprise now teams like Swansea are sniffing around.

Since when do players contracted at one club go on trial at another? Pearson had/has some Man Utd connections, he probably asked them to take a look at him for a few weeks because he's so enigmatic that nobody at Leicester could figure out whether he has potential or if he's a donkey. I doubt it was a trial aimed at a transfer, and I doubt fergie had anything to do with it.

You have found someone else to heap the praise on as the saviour because you couldn't stand cambiasso getting any praise. Nice one.

I don't think anybody is saying Huth hasn't been good, excellent even, and his arrival maybe lifted the group as we managed to be more solid at the back and that has given us a platform to go and win games.

We have won a lot of games with Huth and it's not a coincidence, he's a top defender. But your hate for people appreciating cambiasso's performances as your determination to ensure the praise is directed elsewhere is simply put is making you look daft. Our supporters, other teams supporters, pundits and managers alike appreciate what cambiasso has done for us but you can't.

On schlupp, was great to have him back. He is a menace going forwards and bar the one heart in mouth moment the was good defensively. I do worry about them slip ups though as kouyate's goal and Hutton away off the top of my head were balls over the top of him finding him asleep and the same happened Saturday. Needs to brush up on positional sense and awareness there. Overall, good game and look forward to Southampton!

Why does my opinion bother you so much. Just ignore it, my opinion is as valid as any other. There are a lot of people who think the Cambi mob are OTT. We all like him, we just see his faults. Whereas other players like Jeff/Ulloa/Morgan etc... get so much shit from those same people.

It's no deflection HUTH is our best player and the reason for our position on the edge of survival. There are too many of you who think praise for any other player is a criticism of Cambiasso.

Guest ttfn

jeez this thread can be summed up like:

Schlupp

1 good game he is god

1 bad game he is worse player we have.

To be fair it's not on a game to game basis with him, he can look like Ronaldo one minute and then the next minute he's watching a ball roll past him and out of play for a throw in for the opposition.

Since when do players contracted at one club go on trial at another? Pearson had/has some Man Utd connections, he probably asked them to take a look at him for a few weeks because he's so enigmatic that nobody at Leicester could figure out whether he has potential or if he's a donkey. I doubt it was a trial aimed at a transfer, and I doubt fergie had anything to do with it.

So we send him to Man Utd,because our own coaches cannot make there minds up over him,that's a new one to me.

What do we pay our coaches to do then if they ain't got a bloody clue

He is going to have a good PL career. Has all the physical attributes, just needs to improve his first touch and positioning at times, but those are things he will work on and improve. Definitely our biggest talent atm

I think Schlupp deserves credit. Who at the start of the season would have predicted the season he's having (for all his occasional limitations with regards concentration)? To learn the role of a left back, a left wing back and a left winger, 'on the job' in the top flight is excellent.

As a full-back he's easily surpassed Konchesky by a mile. As a left winger he has easily surpassed Lloyd Dyer now by a mile. As a wing-back he seems absolutely perfectly suited. Hard to knock him when he's easily the best player we have had in recent memory in 3 different positions, all of which he is relatively new to. 

But he still has his flaws and I expect him to get a lot better yet. Looking forward to seeing it.

Guest ttfn

As a full-back he's easily surpassed Konchesky by a mile. As a left winger he has easily surpassed Lloyd Dyer now by a mile. As a wing-back he seems absolutely perfectly suited. Hard to knock him when he's easily the best player we have had in recent memory in 3 different positions, all of which he is relatively new to.

But he still has his flaws and I expect him to get a lot better yet. Looking forward to seeing it.

At left back Konchesky (despite a couple of horror shows at West Ham and at home to Chelsea) has been solid but limited. Schlupp's been variable at best there and to say he's clearly the better option at left full back is questionable in the extreme. To say he's the best player we've had in that position in recent memory is even odder - he's nowhere near as good as Konchesky was a couple of years back and I'd say Berner was a better full back than Schlupp has shown to be so far.

On the left wing Schlupp has had as many good games as bad ones. Same went for Dyer. Obviously Schlupp is younger and playing at a higher level, probably hitting heights that Dyer never quite reached.

As for left wing back, we've played wing backs in about 15 games since O'Neill left so it's hardly surprising that he's the best we've had there.

He's doing fine and a lot better than I thought he would be at this stage of the season, but let's not go overboard here.

Shame he's a Ghanaian international, rather than an English one really

It would be irrelevant. He'd be about 8th choice left back and left winger.

At left back Konchesky (despite a couple of horror shows at West Ham and at home to Chelsea) has been solid but limited. Schlupp's been variable at best there and to say he's clearly the better option at left full back is questionable in the extreme. To say he's the best player we've had in that position in recent memory is even odder - he's nowhere near as good as Konchesky was a couple of years back and I'd say Berner was a better full back than Schlupp has shown to be so far.

On the left wing Schlupp has had as many good games as bad ones. Same went for Dyer. Obviously Schlupp is younger and playing at a higher level, probably hitting heights that Dyer never quite reached.

As for left wing back, we've played wing backs in about 15 games since O'Neill left so it's hardly surprising that he's the best we've had there.

He's doing fine and a lot better than I thought he would be at this stage of the season, but let's not go overboard here.

It would be irrelevant. He'd be about 8th choice left back and left winger.

I think questionable in the extreme is OTT. He was by far the better option even last year and he's got better and Konch has got worse. You could well be right with Konch a couple of years ago, kinda hard to compare that now without letting more recent performances cloud my judgement. Berner......not sure about that myself but each to their own! Yes on the wing Schlupp is still inconsistent, that is one of his flaws I mentioned, but he's just as consistent as Dyer was and he's playing a whole league above. And obviously the LWB you can't really make any fair comparisons since we haven't always used them but who have we had that you reckon would do a better job there? 

Archived