Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
z-layrex

Final Fantasy 7 remake announced (First on PS4)

Is it true you can use the old style turn-based combat in this? Thought I'd heard somewhere they were doing that.

Edit: Answered my own question, for those interested article is attached. I must admit with the modern battle mechanics I'd been turned off by this game, but hearing this I may still give it a go.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/final-fantasy-7-remakes-classic-mode-is-a-loving-nod-to-the-past-but-it-wont-satisfy-purists

For the record, they've only said they've lengthened the Midgar element, maybe they don't intend to do so much with the rest... How will this work across a new console generation though? Will this be ported to PS5 like The Last of Us? I'd prefer 1 package for the whole lot, shame they've taken this approach of making it episodic.

Edited by Rusko187

4 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Is it true you can use the old style turn-based combat in this? Thought I'd heard somewhere they were doing that.

Yes, you will be able to. You can switch between a more action-oriented gameplay style (assign commands to buttons) or work more via menus/pauses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Yes, you will be able to. You can switch between a more action-oriented gameplay style (assign commands to buttons) or work more via menus/pauses.

I think I'm just going to stop being a grumpy old bugger and get on with using the new system as they intended. Wanted so much for turn based so it was faithful remake, but if I want that, I do own the original on Switch. 

6 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Edit: Answered my own question, for those interested article is attached. I must admit with the modern battle mechanics I'd been turned off by this game, but hearing this I may still give it a go.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/final-fantasy-7-remakes-classic-mode-is-a-loving-nod-to-the-past-but-it-wont-satisfy-purists

For the record, they've only said they've lengthened the Midgar element, maybe they don't intend to do so much with the rest... How will this work across a new console generation though? Will this be ported to PS5 like The Last of Us? I'd prefer 1 package for the whole lot, shame they've taken this approach of making it episodic.

I would rather they work on it for a decade and get the entire game in. Not a fan of this episodic bullshit either, there's no guarantee they'll do the whole game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2019 at 14:06, z-layrex said:

I would rather they work on it for a decade and get the entire game in. Not a fan of this episodic bullshit either, there's no guarantee they'll do the whole game.

how will this work exactly? Saves carry over? DLC on the original game? Or is it just going to be a start again scenario...doesnt make much sense if this is the case. 

Does seem a very strange idea

59 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

how will this work exactly? Saves carry over? DLC on the original game? Or is it just going to be a start again scenario...doesnt make much sense if this is the case. 

I think it'll end at the Midgar escape and that'll be it. We won't see any more.

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

17 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I think it'll end at the Midgar escape and that'll be it. We won't see any more.

SquareEnix have said they'll re-do the entire original:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-13-square-enix-development-of-second-game-in-the-final-fantasy-7-remake-project-will-be-more-efficient

The next installment could potentially include everything from after the escape from Midgar all the way to Nibelheim (the way I see it) -  and could be due in maybe only two years from now.

Edited by MC Prussian

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Coming closer to PS4, now I'm hoping they'll be able to announce an XBOX release anytime soon.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-release-date-gameplay-trail/1100-6472408/

One the one hand they claim the game is episodic and on the other they also claim the base game will be released on two blu ray discs.  Just what is on offer here?  Seems a little vague although the pre-order incentive is as pushy as ever.  I'll wait until it's out on PS5 and the inevitable price drop which includes everything, whatever everything might be.

6 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

One the one hand they claim the game is episodic and on the other they also claim the base game will be released on two blu ray discs.  Just what is on offer here?  Seems a little vague although the pre-order incentive is as pushy as ever.  I'll wait until it's out on PS5 and the inevitable price drop which includes everything, whatever everything might be.

The first game that is now coming out in March is the first part of many more to come, and covers just the storyline - extended to make it a standalone game for now - until you leave Midgar. As time progresses, more parts of the original game will be released. Potentially four or five parts in total, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Demo now available on the PS Store, covers the opening Reactor 1 mission. Entertaining hour or so of gameplay.

I'll give this a whirl later although at the moment I'm trying to level up from 17 to around 35 on Witcher 3 just so I can access the DLC I bought for around 7 quid over new year!  That game is so big it's just ridiculous.  It's great though, 5 years on and nothing really comes close, apart from HZD being better :thumbup:

I went through the demo straight, no breaks.

Having played all FFs apart from this one and XV, can somebody please explain why this one is supposed to be the best?  

It didn't make a whole lot of sense, where does this demo fit in within the full game?

It was decent enough to consider buying later on though. 

On 04/03/2020 at 21:50, Legend_in_blue said:

I went through the demo straight, no breaks.

Having played all FFs apart from this one and XV, can somebody please explain why this one is supposed to be the best?  

It didn't make a whole lot of sense, where does this demo fit in within the full game?

It was decent enough to consider buying later on though. 

Wait, you have played all the FF games except for 7 and 15. 

What I would suggest is you stop everything now and play FF7. Possibly one of the greatest stories from any RPG game.

The demo is the very start of the game. The same as the original FF7. 

For me there is no point in playing the remake if you haven't played the original. You just wont appreciate the remake.

FF15 was ok but not a game changer for me.

On 06/03/2020 at 12:32, foxile5 said:

How are they going to deal with character continuity between releases?

What do you mean?

The remake is supposed to follow the original storyline inch by inch, although I've seen they added a new element for the first part with these odd ghost-like creatures (seeing floating around 7th Heaven, for example) and they've stretched the storyline so that the first part of the remake comes across as a game of its own, so to speak.

All the characters available for now are the ones available in the original game - Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith/Aeris, Red XIII. The other ones (Vincent, Yuffie, Cid, Cait Sith) should pop up as more and more discs become available in the months and years to come.

Edited by MC Prussian

7 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

What do you mean?

The remake is supposed to follow the original storyline inch by inch, although I've seen they added a new element for the first part with these odd ghost-like creatures (seeing floating around 7th Heaven, for example) and they've stretched the storyline so that the first part of the remake comes across as a game of its own, so to speak.

All the characters available for now are the ones available in the original game - Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith/Aeris, Red XIII. The other ones (Vincent, Yuffie, Cid, Cait Sith) should pop up as more and more discs become available in the months and years to come.

I mean how will levels, items, and limit breaks etc transfer from one release to the next.

If they're being released seperately how will my character maintain through each release is my worry.

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I mean how will levels, items, and limit breaks etc transfer from one release to the next.

If they're being released seperately how will my character maintain through each release is my worry.

It worked with the original game. It had three discs.

I'm pretty sure SquarEnix have a system in place that just takes all the information from your latest save.

Anyway, it's a bit early to worry already. The first part hasn't been released officially! lol

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

It worked with the original game. It had three discs.

I'm pretty sure SquarEnix have a system in place that just takes all the information from your latest save.

Anyway, it's a bit early to worry already. The first part hasn't been released officially! lol

Yea I presume it will work the same way as having 3 discs originally. The next installment wont work without a save file with a completed disc one.

Just hope they don't have years in between releases. 

Edited by kingcarr21

9 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Yea I presume it will work the same way as having 3 discs originally. The next installment wont work without a save file with a completed disc one.

Just hope they don't have years in between releases. 

Interesting. 

As a business plan this is a bit risky, especially if they are looking at 3/4 games as each release will have depreciating buyers. 

The worry I have is that the game never gets finished as not enough people buy the future installments as some people just simply wont complete the first game, or they loose interest over time. 

An example being, I bought the final installment of Uncharted.... enjoyed it despite only playing the first game. If I had to complete the first 3 games before I probably wouldnt have bothered. 

Another issue is the fact that we will likely need a PS5 to finish the series... or a ps6 lol

Unless they are seeing it as just add ons to the original game you purchase, rather than a full new game in itself? 

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Interesting. 

As a business plan this is a bit risky, especially if they are looking at 3/4 games as each release will have depreciating buyers. 

The worry I have is that the game never gets finished as not enough people buy the future installments as some people just simply wont complete the first game, or they loose interest over time. 

An example being, I bought the final installment of Uncharted.... enjoyed it despite only playing the first game. If I had to complete the first 3 games before I probably wouldnt have bothered. 

Another issue is the fact that we will likely need a PS5 to finish the series... or a ps6 lol

Unless they are seeing it as just add ons to the original game you purchase, rather than a full new game in itself? 

Uncharted 2 is arguably the best one of them all. Although I love Uncharted 4.

Christ imagine if it goes until PS6 lol. Surely the wait for the other installments wont be long. I imagine it will be like Avengers Infinity war - Endgame. A year inbetween installments. Personally I think if it goes past 6 months people will start to moan