Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
z-layrex

Final Fantasy 7 remake announced (First on PS4)

I'm pretty sure they've included bits and pieces from later in the original game in this trailer, which means the second disc of the remake must be close to completion.

Also, I haven't read up on it yet, but it seems the ghost-like creatures must be visions of the Ancients. That's my interpretation, anyway.

The question remains how fast SquarEnix will be able to come up with the remaining three or four discs of the remake. I do hope we won't have to wait an entire year for the continuation, let's say what happens after you leave Midgar all the way up to the return to Nibelheim.

And I'd love a first announcement for the XBOX version release date, please. :D

On 06/04/2020 at 10:36, MC Prussian said:

I'm pretty sure they've included bits and pieces from later in the original game in this trailer, which means the second disc of the remake must be close to completion.

Also, I haven't read up on it yet, but it seems the ghost-like creatures must be visions of the Ancients. That's my interpretation, anyway.

The question remains how fast SquarEnix will be able to come up with the remaining three or four discs of the remake. I do hope we won't have to wait an entire year for the continuation, let's say what happens after you leave Midgar all the way up to the return to Nibelheim.

And I'd love a first announcement for the XBOX version release date, please. :D

Yea I watched that trailer and thought there was plenty of content from later in the game. So hopefully the continuation is just months away rather than a year.

Saying that I cant help think back to Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. A year in between. I can see this going down a similar route and having a year. God I hope not 

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The buzz around this game pre launch in this thread was certainly busier than it is now. 

Is it decent or a bit of a let down?

From what I've heard the purists are a bit ticked off at what they perceive to be a rather critical plot change at the end of the game (by comparison to the original FF7, that is), but by and large the reviews seem to be mostly good.

I think I'll perhaps wait until it isn't 60 notes to grab it, though.

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

From what I've heard the purists are a bit ticked off at what they perceive to be a rather critical plot change at the end of the game (by comparison to the original FF7, that is), but by and large the reviews seem to be mostly good.

I think I'll perhaps wait until it isn't 60 notes to grab it, though.

I'm tempted to get FFX/X-2.  It's under 20 quid now.  Never bothered with X-2 originally.

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm tempted to get FFX/X-2.  It's under 20 quid now.  Never bothered with X-2 originally.

It's a good nostalgia rush, for sure, and there's still a lot to see and do there (capturing the monsters and beating all the Dark Aeons/Penance will take you a lot of time). Voice acting is showing its age considering it was one of the first games to be fully VA'd, but it's forgivable.

X-2 gets a lot of flak for all the Charlie's Angels characterisation style but there's actually a pretty decent plot there and the gameplay engine - esp the battle engine - is pretty creative for the time.

On 19/04/2020 at 02:35, leicsmac said:

It's a good nostalgia rush, for sure, and there's still a lot to see and do there (capturing the monsters and beating all the Dark Aeons/Penance will take you a lot of time). Voice acting is showing its age considering it was one of the first games to be fully VA'd, but it's forgivable.

X-2 gets a lot of flak for all the Charlie's Angels characterisation style but there's actually a pretty decent plot there and the gameplay engine - esp the battle engine - is pretty creative for the time.

Absolutely loving it so far.  The updated soundtrack is something else.  Original was brilliant but liking the new arrangements even more.

Battle system is my favourite amongst all of the FF titles I've played, no need to tweak it.

For a game which is pushing 20 years old, it holds up really well.  All round one of the best games ever.  Good memories of it - I'm sure early on though there's stuff added in, I cant remember these flashbacks at all.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

Figured I'd chip in on this (rarely ever posted, regular lurker, mate of @leicsmac and been chatting about the game elsewhere with him recently).

I got hold of this game around Easter time and have been playing it regularly since. The original is my favourite game of all time, so I've been excited about this for years. I guess that means that I've also set myself up for a big fall if the game turns out to be rubbish.

I haven't completed the game, but I am a fair way through it. So far, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing.

The stuff that you'd know and remember has been widely respected. The familiar characterisations are strong, and some have been raised to make them more interesting (see Jessie or Rude). Without wanting to give too much away, there are elements added to the storyline. It has been expanded. To me, none of this has felt forced and all has been welcome so far. Whether someone who is unfamiliar with the original game would appreciate that expansion, I couldn't say. It occurs to me that a lot of characters have been introduced, some familiar and some not. But then those characters can quickly disappear again and won't reappear for a long time. Where I am in the game, I know that another character is probably about to get introduced. I can imagine someone new to the game going "Not another bad guy I have to remember. How many is that now?"

The gameplay has been good. I've been through the ordeals of playing Final Fantasies 13 and 15. The latter had decent gameplay, although suffered from being about a non-singing K-pop band with underdeveloped storylines and personalities. However, in this remake the battle system is quite similar, albeit with the additions of materia and one or two elements from FF13. Square Enix do seem to have learned from their mistakes on this front. It's not perfect - you really have to keep an eye on your HP in the tougher battles, while quite a few of the lesser battles can be overcome just by whacking the attack button and then healing up afterwards - but it's decent and the best the franchise has come up with for many years.

As for negatives, there are certain things that don't work so well. The additional characters are more miss than hit. Some are just downright annoying, and I'm left thankful that they are unlikely to have any real impact on the storyline. The humour is also rather hit and miss. The original had really wacky humour at times, and sometimes this doesn't translate so well into a more 'realistic' setting. For instance, I've just been through the Don Corneo experience and that felt a bit forced and stodgy. (In fact Wall Market in general feels to me like it's ground the gears a bit.) Sometimes things get a little childish or teenage in ways, although I might appreciate it more if I was still that age myself. I also didn't get the chance to suggest that Aerith might be the slum drunk. There is still humour in it, but generally it has to be found in either other places to the original, the interactions between the main characters, or simply the joy of seeing a familiar very minor character or line being remembered and represented, such as a Sector 7 guard inviting his co-guard to go and see Loveless with him.

I see above that Leicsmac has said that some purists are not keen on the ending. I don't know what this might be, and I'm trying to avoid seeking out other opinions right now; I've fallen into that kind of trap before and hit unwanted spoilers. I've tried to avoid talking of the significant differences here, but I will say that the alterations that have been made to the original storyline are changes that I welcome, and frankly I think are things that probably needed to change given the world we live in now as compared to that of the late 90's.

So for me - so far, so good. Reading back, I feel like I've been picky above, and not properly representing how much I've been loving this. It has been an old friend brought back to life in a bright and shiny new way. The original storyline and characters have (at least so far) been respected. It's clear that the brains behind it are the same ones who made and properly understand the original. I just hope that they don't get too clever for themselves and mess it up at the end...

• Like 2

Im trying my damn hardest to avoid FF7 Remake related stuff and yet I still get drawn to this thread lol.

I cant justify sending £60 on a download. I want the hard copy of the game for an eventual trade in (unless I have to keep it for the next part, I presume it would work off the save file rather than owning the first game).

So I am waiting for it to go down in price.

But god I keep looking at the download online and hovering my finger over the button to buy it lol 

Finally got my hands on this, started it last night. Didn't get far, only just got onto the train to meet up with Avalanche after blowing up the reactor. Visually looks amazing. Not bothered at all with the extra content so far. I don't want the game to be a carbon copy of the original. If they expand on the original but still stick to the story then happy days.

So far so good. Times like this I wish I was single and had all the time in the world to game lol 

@kingcarr21 - I won’t ruin anything that’s to come story-wise so I’ll just say this: One bit of advice I’d give is to buy an orb of Life materia and get levelling it up in the background as soon as you can. Not so much because of necessity (although the top level is useful), but because I had to do a lot of grinding later on to complete a sub-quest that demanded it.

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

@kingcarr21 - I won’t ruin anything that’s to come story-wise so I’ll just say this: One bit of advice I’d give is to buy an orb of Life materia and get levelling it up in the background as soon as you can. Not so much because of necessity (although the top level is useful), but because I had to do a lot of grinding later on to complete a sub-quest that demanded it.

Nice one Dunge. I will do just that. I think i've got the quest that gets me the orb of life materia ( I think its the prize for doing one of the battle research's) so will get it done and crack on with it.

Just on Chapter 3 doing the side quests. I'm always one for doing everything before progressing with the story. 

Enjoying the extra content in this. Nice to expand on the original but still feel the nostalgia of it. Love the music within the game. If its anything like FF15 where you could listen to the radio in your car of different soundtracks from other games I will be well happy.

Roll on when the kids are in bed again lol 

23 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Enjoying the extra content in this. Nice to expand on the original but still feel the nostalgia of it. Love the music within the game. If its anything like FF15 where you could listen to the radio in your car of different soundtracks from other games I will be well happy.

Roll on when the kids are in bed again lol 

That was one of the best parts of FF15, and something that showed me how much I’d underestimated the soundtrack of FF9.

Just wait until you get to the variations on Aerith’s theme, by the way. I literally just sat there and listened a couple of times.

18 hours ago, Dunge said:

That was one of the best parts of FF15, and something that showed me how much I’d underestimated the soundtrack of FF9.

Just wait until you get to the variations on Aerith’s theme, by the way. I literally just sat there and listened a couple of times.

Driving around listening to the battle themes of FF7 and FF9 was all I did lol. I never fast travelled. Enjoyed listening to them too much. Went and played them again after I finished FF15.

Barret made me laugh when he is walking around shouting out the victory music. Dadadada da da dadadaaaaaa lol