Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
z-layrex

Final Fantasy 7 remake announced (First on PS4)

Im the Shinra building now. This game has made me fall in love with FF7 all over again. They have done such a great job with it. Cant wait for the next part. I just hope they don't ruin the good work of this game by reducing the rest of the game too much. Make it at least a 4 part game and really do it justice.

Then move onto FF8 Remake please lol 

27 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Im the Shinra building now. This game has made me fall in love with FF7 all over again. They have done such a great job with it. Cant wait for the next part. I just hope they don't ruin the good work of this game by reducing the rest of the game too much. Make it at least a 4 part game and really do it justice.

Then move onto FF8 Remake please lol 

I try to abstain from the game or the coverage as much as possible, just clinging onto reviews that offer little to no spoilers.

It's a PS exclusive until April next year, so I need to wait a little longer.

But I've heard the ending must be something else. Literally.

I don’t think they will reduce the rest of the game. All the suggestion is that they have the game in its entirety planned out and are working on how and where to cut it. I get the impression they fear that turning it into a trilogy will make the other two games too long to both play and develop. I wonder whether they could do pt. 2 up to Nibelheim, and “reimagine” that. (I’ve long suspected that in the original they just didn’t have time to come up with a new background and so worked around it...) Plus, there are some bosses and encounters that you could work in nicely to the end of “part 2”.

PS. @kingcarr21 - I hope you enjoyed Hell House as much as I did. :-D

@MC Prussian - I know I’d never be able to last that long! I’d have bought a new console for this. Which probably isn’t a good reflection on me. :-)

9 hours ago, Dunge said:

I don’t think they will reduce the rest of the game. All the suggestion is that they have the game in its entirety planned out and are working on how and where to cut it. I get the impression they fear that turning it into a trilogy will make the other two games too long to both play and develop. I wonder whether they could do pt. 2 up to Nibelheim, and “reimagine” that. (I’ve long suspected that in the original they just didn’t have time to come up with a new background and so worked around it...) Plus, there are some bosses and encounters that you could work in nicely to the end of “part 2”.

PS. @kingcarr21 - I hope you enjoyed Hell House as much as I did. :-D

@MC Prussian - I know I’d never be able to last that long! I’d have bought a new console for this. Which probably isn’t a good reflection on me. :-)

Hell House was amazing. When it appeared I was like damn I remember this from the original being a pain. I've been quite impressed with the difficulty of this game. I'm playing Normal mode but i've still had to strategize cause I was getting battered.

Im just wondering about the open world aspect, will they at some point have the world map completely open. In my mind I don't think they can. Id be quite happy to keep it chapter based with some chapters having sections where you can grind your characters.

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Hell House was amazing. When it appeared I was like damn I remember this from the original being a pain. I've been quite impressed with the difficulty of this game. I'm playing Normal mode but i've still had to strategize cause I was getting battered.

Im just wondering about the open world aspect, will they at some point have the world map completely open. In my mind I don't think they can. Id be quite happy to keep it chapter based with some chapters having sections where you can grind your characters.

Hell House was irritating, which is part of the enjoyment.

With open world - I'd figured they'd open it up at a similar point to the original. The third installment of the remake being open world, levelling up and buffing materia/SP/Limits/Chocobos and the like, until the final battle?

20 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Hell House was irritating, which is part of the enjoyment.

With open world - I'd figured they'd open it up at a similar point to the original. The third installment of the remake being open world, levelling up and buffing materia/SP/Limits/Chocobos and the like, until the final battle?

Im thinking more of the levelling side of things. I believe part 1 the level is capped at 50. As you can imagine in the original game you are nowhere near level 50 when you leave Midgar. So are we going to have levelling exceeding 100? You now already have maxed out materia when leaving Midgar? Its why I worry that they will now just rush the rest of the game.

It sounds like it wont take much more before you can just roll through the game with the materia you have already. If its already maxed out then I cant see much in the way of progression.

What I hope for is they really ramp up the difficulty as we go through the game. Perhaps even break the 9999 HP barrier. Or I wonder if they will do something drastic. like you lose all the materia from part 1 or something (I highly doubt)

I just hope they get the balance right. I would hate to get to a point where there isn't a need to plan for a battle cause your materia is already maxed out.

17 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Im thinking more of the levelling side of things. I believe part 1 the level is capped at 50. As you can imagine in the original game you are nowhere near level 50 when you leave Midgar. So are we going to have levelling exceeding 100? You now already have maxed out materia when leaving Midgar? Its why I worry that they will now just rush the rest of the game.

It sounds like it wont take much more before you can just roll through the game with the materia you have already. If its already maxed out then I cant see much in the way of progression.

What I hope for is they really ramp up the difficulty as we go through the game. Perhaps even break the 9999 HP barrier. Or I wonder if they will do something drastic. like you lose all the materia from part 1 or something (I highly doubt)

I just hope they get the balance right. I would hate to get to a point where there isn't a need to plan for a battle cause your materia is already maxed out.

I raised this earlier in the thread - I was concerned about the data continuity between games.

They could have levelling up to 50 each game (150 in total) and branched materia effects to keep that side rolling. The alternative is that each game the character starts afresh and anew.

I reckon it’ll probably be a combination of things. As far as levelling and damage goes, they can easily break the 100 and 9999 barriers. At the end of the day, they’re just numbers. With spells, I wouldn’t be surprised if they started again somehow, otherwise they could go to a “Fira+” or something along those lines. It probably wouldn’t concern me too much either way as long as they get the playability right.

As for it being open world at any point, I was about to say that I can’t see it myself, but then I remembered what they did with FF12. Maybe they’ll produce something like that?

Although I wouldn’t object to future instalments being more linear and chapter-based like this one is.

12 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I reckon it’ll probably be a combination of things. As far as levelling and damage goes, they can easily break the 100 and 9999 barriers. At the end of the day, they’re just numbers. With spells, I wouldn’t be surprised if they started again somehow, otherwise they could go to a “Fira+” or something along those lines. It probably wouldn’t concern me too much either way as long as they get the playability right.

As for it being open world at any point, I was about to say that I can’t see it myself, but then I remembered what they did with FF12. Maybe they’ll produce something like that?

Although I wouldn’t object to future instalments being more linear and chapter-based like this one is.

Fira+, now that would be a simple way to keep progressing Materia. I don't know why im worried, its not like the developers wouldn't have thought of all of this already. Like you say, they are just numbers. So no reason why they cant just have 50 levels per game and no barriers to HP and damage total etc.

I just hope there isn't a massive gap between games. Would hate to think it would take more than a year in between each instalment. I could live with a year gap between each, I think lol 

On the length between instalments, I think that’s what Square are worried about too. The thinking I’ve read is that it’s most likely (but not certain) that the next instalment will be shorter than this one for that very reason.

I haven’t seen any dates suggested. Although one per year kind of makes sense to me given that a lot of the code they have is basically reusable.

• 2 months later...
On 21/08/2020 at 20:17, Libertine said:

Just finished this and can't wait for the next volume. Never played the original so was excited to get this as everyone always bangs on about it, really got into more and more as it went on. 

I cant imagine playing this without playing the original. You have completely missed out on the nostalgic feel to it. 

Now i'm not sure whether you should go and play the original whilst you wait for the next volume. What am I saying, you should most definitely go and play the original. I played as again and its still as brilliant as ever.

7 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Now i'm not sure whether you should go and play the original whilst you wait for the next volume. What am I saying, you should most definitely go and play the original. I played as again and its still as brilliant as ever.

I loved the original when it was first out but tried to play it again recently, it hasn't aged well at all. So slow, terrible inconsistent visuals (mainly the overworld, the battles still look alright for that era), convoluted unskippable sequences - I enjoyed hearing the music again but even that sounded tacky with the MIDI-style instrumentation. I think unless you got into the spirit of it by only playing late 90's era games for a bit, it would be really jarring to play for the first time now

• 2 weeks later...

I’m glad people are saying they enjoy this game without having played the original. To me, the overall storyline is phenomenal, and of course this new game only shows part of it. As much as anything, I’m glad it makes some sense to people who don’t know all the game’s secrets and big future events/reveals, that the new game isn’t relying on nostalgia to provide the enjoyment.

As for playing the original if you’re not familiar with it, I think I’d fall slightly more in the “don’t” camp. Not because I don’t think it’s great, and I think the silly, quirky, developer humour still holds up well; but I reckon it will feel hurried and basic in comparison. I say keep going with the remake, and hopefully it’ll do the storyline and its Wow moments justice.

• 6 months later...
On 06/03/2021 at 01:24, Legend_in_blue said:

This game is really good on PS5.  Still can't believe Sony have given this away free!  Really enjoying it so far.  Done 5 hours already over a couple of late nights lol

I really enjoyed it. Never feels like a grind and the story has a decent enough expansion whilst never really feeling like it moves away from the original game. The real task will be how they continue the game. Cant wait to see how they approach it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so the battle theme is the greatest theme in any FF game for me.  Really loving it when it kicks in.  It's managed to become my favourite, better than FFXs. 

The battle system itself is also absolutely great now I'm getting used to it but feel like I'm barely making use of it to its full potential.  Is a hard playthrough worth it from a strategical point of view?  Being forced to make full use of materia with specific combos for instance?  The game doesn't explain it that well as you go along.  

Just started chapter 11 and the whole ghost sequence before it was great after a slight lull in the small town and meeting Corneo.

Overall great game. :thumbup:

Edited by Legend_in_blue

On 26/03/2021 at 21:27, Legend_in_blue said:

OK, so the battle theme is the greatest theme in any FF game for me.  Really loving it when it kicks in.  It's managed to become my favourite, better than FFXs. 

The battle system itself is also absolutely great now I'm getting used to it but feel like I'm barely making use of it to its full potential.  Is a hard playthrough worth it from a strategical point of view?  Being forced to make full use of materia with specific combos for instance?  The game doesn't explain it that well as you go along.  

Just started chapter 11 and the whole ghost sequence before it was great after a slight lull in the small town and meeting Corneo.

Overall great game. :thumbup:

The hard level play-through presents a different challenge in the battles. I recall you can get still get small MP boosts from the multitude of boxes, but the only other way to refresh your MP is to complete a chapter. ie, you can’t use items. This presents a significant challenge.

One of the main things is that this means different materia start taking priority. Pray materia really comes into its own for example, and is very much needed. And you need to be strategically stronger with knowledge of your characters’ techniques and the likes of Elemental to give yourself proper advantages in battle. Plus certain tougher battles and rewards become available, including the best accessory in the game - I can’t remember the name of it but it considerably accelerates the limit break gauge for the character you assign it to.

There was one bit I was unable to complete on hard level despite many attempts, but fortunately it’s skippable. The battles weren’t too bad once you got into a rhythm for them and remembered to prepare appropriately, although the big accessory really helped at the end.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...