Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
z-layrex

Final Fantasy 7 remake announced (First on PS4)

Seriously fvck Square Enix, they're just breaking up games in to episodic chunks to make more money when it should just be one full game. It doesn't work, it makes the pacing even more shit than most their games already have as the games haven't been designed with this in mind, Hitman the latest game to fall foul of this new fangled bullshit, this will go the same way if it hasn't been announced already.

EDIT: just read through the thread properly, seems it has, Deus Ex will be the same. One more time. Fvck Square Enix.

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cannot see anything on the net about mankind divided being episodic. You sure they are right?

As for FFVII, I don't like it but I know several FFVII geeks who seem to think it's the only way to go with the game. I'd defo leave off the money grabbing accusation before you see what they are charging also. Most the episodic stuff I play works out cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New trailer out for this with a little glimpse of the battle system. No turn based fighting but I think it still looks really good. No doubt a lot of fans wont like it but for me after watching the new trailer I want it even more.

This is actually going to be nothing like Final Fantasy VII is it

Very dangerous what they are doing, the games a classic and doesn't need to be fcked with. They will have to do some job to revamp the whole game and make it better than the original and if they ruin it it is something they will never hear the end of

This is actually going to be nothing like Final Fantasy VII is it

Very dangerous what they are doing, the games a classic and doesn't need to be fcked with. They will have to do some job to revamp the whole game and make it better than the original and if they ruin it it is something they will never hear the end of

In my eyes it was never going to be turn based fighting. They will take on the model of FF13. I do like the look of the game and the battle system looks good BUT it is going to divide opinion. I would have loved it to be turn based but I will hold judgement until ive actually played it. Im more bothered about the story and the open world aspect. If they miss out chunks of the original game that will be a right kick in the teeth. I hope they keep the story and the world map the same with maybe some extra areas to explore.

They really could do an amazing job with this. On the other hand though this could bomb and like you said they wouldn't hear the end of it.

Also what made the original game so good was the materia system. Surely it will be a similar system using materia  

Edited by kingcarr21

• 7 months later...

ATB will highly likely be discarded, although Nomura says there will be an option for fans to learn the new fighting system at a slower speed.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/169896/20161027/final-fantasy-7-remake-rumors.htm

The summons in the remake better be good... Imagine KOTRT or Bahamut Zero in crisp HD.

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

ATB will highly likely be discarded, although Nomura says there will be an option for fans to learn the new fighting system at a slower speed.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/169896/20161027/final-fantasy-7-remake-rumors.htm

The summons in the remake better be good... Imagine KOTRT or Bahamut Zero in crisp HD.

They really need to nail the battle system. I would have been quite happy with ATB coming back. I really hope they do the remake justice. 

• 2 years later...
Just now, Thefox81 said:

Is this going to be on Xbox as well? Probably my favourite game growing up.

Release scheduled for 3rd of March, 2020. Currently only on PS4, although there are rumours it'll come out on XBOX One, as well.

• Like 1

Since it's episodic in nature, this is but the first part of the full remake.

This first episode to come out next March allegedly only focuses on the events up until the escape from Midgar, all simply vastly expanded/stretched on the original timeline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Since it's episodic in nature, this is but the first part of the full remake.

This first episode to come out next March allegedly only focuses on the events up until the escape from Midgar, all simply vastly expanded/stretched on the original timeline.

Be really interesting to see how many hours the game takes to complete Midgar. They said its over 2 Blu Ray discs but the original game still had so much to do after Midgar. If they wanted both parts to be of (roughly) equal length then are they going to make the world map smaller at the expense of a bigger time in Midgar?

If they do this justice, and from what ive seen so far they have done, then they could be on a potential winner for remaking other FF games. Seriously if they remake FF8 in the same style as this and nail it then my god it will be awesome. To play as Squall again :D

4 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Be really interesting to see how many hours the game takes to complete Midgar. They said its over 2 Blu Ray discs but the original game still had so much to do after Midgar. If they wanted both parts to be of (roughly) equal length then are they going to make the world map smaller at the expense of a bigger time in Midgar?

If they do this justice, and from what ive seen so far they have done, then they could be on a potential winner for remaking other FF games. Seriously if they remake FF8 in the same style as this and nail it then my god it will be awesome. To play as Squall again :D

Played all the FF games. 7 is the one that got me hooked tho. Re-make of FF 10 with Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, Lulu and the rest would be ace. 

8 is being remastered but not remade. X/X-2 already got the HD remaster so can't imagine they'll bother with a full remake.

Looking forward to this as everyone is always banging on about FF7 but I've never played it. The only one I've ever completed is X/X-2. 

20 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Played all the FF games. 7 is the one that got me hooked tho. Re-make of FF 10 with Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, Lulu and the rest would be ace. 

I loved FF 10 but one thing that annoyed me was the characters never ask Tidus what his name is 

20 hours ago, Libertine said:

8 is being remastered but not remade. X/X-2 already got the HD remaster so can't imagine they'll bother with a full remake.

Looking forward to this as everyone is always banging on about FF7 but I've never played it. The only one I've ever completed is X/X-2. 

You really should play the original FF7 before the remake comes out. Incredible story, characters and the materia system is great.

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

I loved FF 10 but one thing that annoyed me was the characters never ask Tidus what his name is 

You really should play the original FF7 before the remake comes out. Incredible story, characters and the materia system is great.

Yeah agree with that. I loved the whole battle system with that and the grind of blitzball to get Wakkas special ability. FF15 is a game thats one of very few games ive platinumed but it just felt meh after i did it. I enjoyed the characters more on the early FF games.

• Like 1

I was introduced to FF7 after buying it for my youngest son and then helping him out when he got stuck.  I subsequently had to buy the following few FF games, which was not a problem as I got to try my hand at them.  To me the FF series great strengths were their story lines and the turn-based combat.  From what I can see the remake has abandoned the turn-based combat in favour of becoming an action RPG.  I don't expect it to be as good as the original for that reason, plus the fact that FF7 was, at the time, cutting edge in terms of graphics.

• 2 months later...

New gameplay trailers are out!

Looks fantastic. The level of detail, the fact they kept the original soundtrack, super, more real lines of dialogue.

Notice the higher amount of initial HPs and the potential use of summons very early on into the game as opposed to the original.

I wonder how many discs the entire remake of the full game will entail. lol

• Like 1

That 7 remake looks utterly incredible. Would be tempted to purchase a PS4 for it.

I wish Square would remake VIII and IX too, but it's unlikely given the recent remaster of the former. 

X doesn't need remaking, it still holds up fine and it's not quite on the same level as the PS1-era games.

Anything Final Fantasy post FFX has been pretty bin-worthy, IMO. Stick to remaking the classics, although never gonna happen.

28 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

That 7 remake looks utterly incredible. Would be tempted to purchase a PS4 for it.

I wish Square would remake VIII and IX too, but it's unlikely given the recent remaster of the former. 

X doesn't need remaking, it still holds up fine and it's not quite on the same level as the PS1-era games.

Anything Final Fantasy post FFX has been pretty bin-worthy, IMO. Stick to remaking the classics, although never gonna happen.

If you look at FFVII Remake, the fact that they've managed to press only the one adventure up until the departure from Midgar onto the first installment means that we're looking at potentially six, seven, eight further editions to cover the entire story.

Imagine the amount of manpower that'll include.

By the time the full FFVII Remake is out, we're probably looking at four to five years. It would surprise me if they would be announcing the continuation (the first post-Midgar story) that soon, probably will be 2022 the earliest.

Remaking FFVIII or FFIX from scratch means up to seven, eight, nine more years of development. Surely Square don't have that manpower and/or capacity.

Would be nice, though. Depends on how well FFVII Remake performs. My guess is, very, very well. So many fans still out there.

21 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

If you look at FFVII Remake, the fact that they've managed to press only the one adventure up until the departure from Midgar onto the first installment means that we're looking at potentially six, seven, eight further editions to cover the entire story.

Imagine the amount of manpower that'll include.

By the time the full FFVII Remake is out, we're probably looking at four to five years. It would surprise me if they would be announcing the continuation (the first post-Midgar story) that soon, probably will be 2022 the earliest.

Remaking FFVIII or FFIX from scratch means up to seven, eight, nine more years of development. Surely Square don't have that manpower and/or capacity.

Would be nice, though. Depends on how well FFVII Remake performs. My guess is, very, very well. So many fans still out there.

Totally agree. Square are notoriously slow developers, and have a horrible habit of announcing games whilst they're embryonic leaving us with years of hype before release. 

FFVII, XIII and IX all came out within the span of three years. Pretty incredible really. But it was less complex a process. It takes them an age to make anything nowadays.

I remember reading somewhere at some point that they wanted to remake all three for the PS2 / PS3 years ago, but the challenge of recreating them for the hardware was too much of a big ask. 

The FFVII Remake will be a one-off, which is a shame really. VIII and IX are both incredible too in their own way. I must've completed each of them 4 or 5 times each. So many good memories. 

Edited by RoboFox

16 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Totally agree. Square are notoriously slow developers, and have a horrible habit of announcing games whilst they're embryonic leaving us with years of hype before release. 

FFVII, XIII and IX all came out within the span of three years. Pretty incredible really. But it was less complex a process. It takes them an age to make anything nowadays.

I remember reading somewhere at some point that they wanted to remake all three for the PS2 / PS3 years ago, but the challenge of recreating them for the hardware was too much of a big ask. 

The FFVII Remake will be a one-off, which is a shame really. VIII and IX are both incredible too in their own way. I must've completed each of them 4 or 5 times each. So many good memories. 

Hopefully 8 & 9 will happen, only if 7 is a success. Which looks like it will be at the moment. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Imagine a Remastered Doom Train nailing Seifer lol. God he was annoying

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

Hopefully 8 & 9 will happen, only if 7 is a success. Which looks like it will be at the moment. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Imagine a Remastered Doom Train nailing Seifer lol. God he was annoying

Be great to see how they would work the bigger GFs / Summons into the game, considering they're now fighting alongside you in real time. Ifrit, Shiva, Diablos etc. would make sense, but I mean Alexander is like the size of a mountain, and f**k knows how something like Doomtrain would work! 

Edited by RoboFox