Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

2016 in Music

On 9/7/2016 at 18:36, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Cracking new JAWS single out today too with an album following in November - Fox92 must be spinning in his grave at all this great music coming out in 2016

Is this the same Fox92 that has bought new music by Bowie, TLSP, Richard Ashcroft, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Jake Bugg, Paul Simon, Blossoms this year??

I find it a little strange that a band like the Courteeners gain such a large passionate fan base when they produce pretty banal music, lyrically they seem bland especially for a indie band which makes the passionate following even more baffling.

Maybe its a lack of choice of indie bands thesedays?

I did buy their first 2 albums but they have become pretty huge since then maybe I need to buy their newer stuff?

40 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I find it a little strange that a band like the Courteeners gain such a large passionate fan base when they produce pretty banal music, lyrically they seem bland especially for a indie band which makes the passionate following even more baffling.

Maybe its a lack of choice of indie bands thesedays?

I did buy their first 2 albums but they have become pretty huge since then maybe I need to buy their newer stuff?

I don't particularly like the Courteeners. Come across as massively overrated. I listened to a couple upon everybody talking about them but I agree they seem pretty bland. Mind you, I like lyrics more than music - always will - but there doesn't seem to be any artist that wants to tackle social or political issues anymore.

35 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I don't particularly like the Courteeners. Come across as massively overrated. I listened to a couple upon everybody talking about them but I agree they seem pretty bland. Mind you, I like lyrics more than music - always will - but there doesn't seem to be any artist that wants to tackle social or political issues anymore.

I used to be the same, as I've got older I would say I'm more interested in the sound rather than the lyrics, some albums I have bought over the last few years I have no idea lyrically what the songs are about but they sound so great it doesn't matter.

That wasn't the case when I was younger, bands had to have something to say to gain my interest.

But when it comes to indie bands I really need to hear something a bit more substantial.

As for political or social issues, I do wonder if that's because of the music industry becoming more and more corporate, so do those types of bands have a chance? 

A lot of record companies are publicly owned so they have to adhere to shareholders who don't care about giving a band years to develop and want a return quickly so they all decide to churn out the latest bland young pretty karaoke singer to sell a million .  Then there's the Radio stations having focus groups and playlists they cant sway from resulting in a really limited choice.

If Dylan, Springsteen, etc were starting out today record companies simply wouldn't be interested.

That's not to say there aren't bands around who tackle such subjects, it's just much harder to seek them out.

25 minutes ago, brockmyster said:

I never used to be a fan of Courteeners but they've grown on me massively, seeing them in November. 

Maybe I'll give their newer stuff a shot.

20 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

There is so many artists who discuss politics and what's going on in the world, or are we choosing to ignore them because they don't play a guitar?

Absolutely not, I'm not ignoring them, albums like to pimp a butterfly have a place in my collection .  But as a fan of guitar bands it would be nice to hear it from them too.

the youth of this generation who have a decent story to tell don't have enough money to buy a guitar and a drum kit. nobody "on the street" plays guitar. most "indie" bands coming through these days are suburban, pretty privileged groups of mates from grammar schools who think it's cool to play guitar. they're never going to produce particularly exciting lyrics because the most exciting thing to happen in their lives was when one of their mates bought a second hand guitar instead of getting mum and dad to buy a new one. 

its the wrong genre if you want good lyrics. good lyrics come from personal stories and hardship and experiences. don't get much of that when you've had a kushty 21 years in paid education and a few nights out with the lads playing guitar n drums in your dads spare house. 

47 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

There is so many artists who discuss politics and what's going on in the world, or are we choosing to ignore them because they don't play a guitar?

Wouldn't necessarily use 'ignore' but I know that my music taste isn't wide enough to explore. With 60s stuff being my favourite I tend to just stick to guitar bands.

12 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

There isn't a lack of choice whatsoever, people just seem to bloody love the Courteeners / Catfish and all that shite.

Seeing it a lot lately but people comparing these to the likes of Arctics and Libertines.. It's so annoying when these bands have been consistently good yet those you've mentioned just roll out the same bland shite. I swear every Catfish song is about being rejected by a woman. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Seeing it a lot lately but people comparing these to the likes of Arctics and Libertines.. It's so annoying when these bands have been consistently good yet those you've mentioned just roll out the same bland shite. I swear every Catfish song is about being rejected by a woman

That seems to be the du jour over the past few years with indie bands, must be looking in the wrong places.

On 12/09/2016 at 15:38, purpleronnie said:

Absolutely not, I'm not ignoring them, albums like to pimp a butterfly have a place in my collection .  But as a fan of guitar bands it would be nice to hear it from them too.

Is that not pretty much all of punk?

New Delain album is pretty good. First single from the new Metallica album... Ulrich still can't drum.

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Do you not have Spotify Ronnie?

It's great for finding new bands/songs. Loads of playlists spanning over different genres. I'm sure you could find at least one or two bands that meet your needs on there :D 

I don't actually no, I have found plenty of new bands I like but very few of those new albums have any political or social content.  Punk and rap have always been linked with politics so it was really a wish to hear other singer songwriters or indie bands with something to say that I was struggling to find.

I'll check out Spotify and see what I can uncover.:thumbup:

Archived