Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2016

I don't really understand the logic, Middlesex need to declare to give them time to bowl them out, why give them easy runs.

They will have considered how many overs they need to bowl them out and declared accordingly regardless of total, if they can't bowl them out then they don't win the title. All Yorkshire have done is give themselves a larger target.

Just now, Captain... said:

I don't really understand the logic, Middlesex need to declare to give them time to bowl them out, why give them easy runs.

They will have considered how many overs they need to bowl them out and declared accordingly regardless of total, if they can't bowl them out then they don't win the title. All Yorkshire have done is give themselves a larger target.

Because without the deal they were never going to get enough runs to give them the time to chase it down, the pitch is just too hard to score on.

Best to come to an agreement and go from there, it looks about 50/50 now which is a better chance than either would have had if it been 220 off 25 overs.

The whole thing does stink though, Somerset must be absolutely fuming.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Because without the deal they were never going to get enough runs to give them the time to chase it down, the pitch is just too hard to score on.

Best to come to an agreement and go from there, it looks about 50/50 now which is a better chance than either would have had if it been 220 off 25 overs.

The whole thing does stink though, Somerset must be absolutely fuming.

What is the  deal then? I've only been following on BBC and just got back off my lunch.

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

What is the  deal then? I've only been following on BBC and just got back off my lunch.

7 overs of pies lobbed up by Lyth and Lees, all fielders in circle and get whatever you can to set a target for 40 overs, pretty much run a ball on a tough pitch in the end result.

They'll try and go hard very early I imagine with a hard ball.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

What odds are Somerset at now?

4/1 on Betfair.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

7 sevens of pies lobbed up by Lyth and Lees, all fielders in circle and get whatever you can to set a target for 40 overs, pretty much run a ball on a tough pitch.

So why was the BBC saying Yorkshire looked disappointed to take wickets? If they knew they would declare leaving 40 overs, at least be happy when they miss out. I guess you can put bad bowlers on, but can you really ask them to bowl anything other than their best.

I wonder how Somerset feel about all this.

Because the idea wasn't to take wickets, it didn't matter as even a number 11 was going to smash what what effectively under arm bowling to the boundary. 

When they had got to 240 that was it, Franklin even asked Lyth if he wanteda wicket and lobbed one up for him.

Yorkshire look to have a good deal here though, pitch looks ok with a new ball and they won't have enough time to rough it up in 40 overs. 

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

They won't bowling their best either, they were literally throwing up 30mph chuck ups to be slogged away until they got upto 240.

So was the deal to get to 240, or the deal to give them 20 overs? I think any sort of deal is dodgy, bring on a couple of pie chuckers to increase the run rate and try take wickets off aggressive shots is one thing, but to actual bowl crap is surely some sort of match fixing and not in the spirit of cricket.

240 off 40 on a day 4 pitch is not easy, the advantage is Middlesex need wickets so they need to set aggressive fields, a couple of wickets and the outlook changes.

Given Franklin blocked the last 3 balls and then shouted "do you want a wicket? " to Lyth before lobbing one up the deal was certainly 240 from 40.

Very generous from Middlesex. 

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Given Franklin blocked the last 3 balls and then shouted "do you want a wicket? " to Lyth before lobbing one up the deal was certainly 240 from 40.

Very generous from Middlesex. 

Hoping for the draw now and I'll  have a proper jar of scrumpy to celebrate.

Just not cricket. Colleague compared it to the Denmark Norway "game" where a draw saw them both qualify, That was mutually beneficial both teams got what they want, but in this case one team will have compromised their integrity and not got anything to show for it, hopefully both of them. 200 runs or 9 wickets from 30 overs. Gonna go to the wire.

4 down now, 15 overs to get 6 wickets or 120 runs. Big ask to get those runs, with Tim Bresnan your most established batsman. Shame they weren't allowed Bairstow, if he was coming in now it would make a difference. Middlesex would be more likely to get 6 wickets than concede 120 runs, but draw is still highly likely.

There's absolutely no way with the 2 sides playing both able to win the Championship that this wasn't going to happen. I guess the idea for Yorkshire was to get early wickets and try and bowl Middlesex out, but after their batsman toughed it out early  the only way a positive result would be obtained was by setting a target. 

Somerset would have done exactly the same.

16 hours ago, martyn said:

There's absolutely no way with the 2 sides playing both able to win the Championship that this wasn't going to happen. I guess the idea for Yorkshire was to get early wickets and try and bowl Middlesex out, but after their batsman toughed it out early  the only way a positive result would be obtained was by setting a target. 

Somerset would have done exactly the same.

Exactly, contrived finishes are as old as the hills in county cricket. When games were played over three days it happened even more.

22 hours ago, MattP said:

I think it will be far tougher than you think, two balls from Sidebottom in the last over died and literally rolled across the floor.

I'll be on Middlesex if they need 200 in 40.

I really should have bet on this, Middlesex were about 7/4 at the changeover, Yorkshire were never getting 240 off 240 balls on that pitch no matter how good the batting is.

• 4 weeks later...

Solid now after a shaky start in Bangladesh, 7 matches of pure trial by spin now.

Pitch is ludicrous, was turning in the second over on the first morning.

Archived