Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2016

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yup. Which is why Hameed should have started and Ballance shouldn't. Hope that's rectified before India.

Hameed really struggled didn't he in the warm ups? If he's struggling against Bangladesh reserves I don't think he'll be ready for India away in a few weeks.

I'm surprised we didn't take another opener on the tour, Duckett would rather be at 4/5.

Just now, MattP said:

Hameed really struggled didn't he in the warm ups? If he's struggling against Bangladesh reserves I don't think he'll be ready for India away in a few weeks.

I'm surprised we didn't take another opener on the tour, Duckett would rather be at 4/5.

He made at least one fifty, I think, at least deserves a shot.

Speaking of which, is two near washed out warm up matches really enough to prep for these conditions?

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

He made at least one fifty, I think, at least deserves a shot.

Speaking of which, is two near washed out warm up matches really enough to prep for these conditions?

Probably not, although I watched a video on the England cricker page last night and they werent even preparing on the spin mats so god knows what is happening behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Probably not, although I watched a video on the England cricker page last night and they werent even preparing on the spin mats so god knows what is happening behind the scenes.

The fvck?

Did they really think touring Bangladesh would be easy or something?

36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The fvck?

Did they really think touring Bangladesh would be easy or something?

I do think this is being treated as a warm up for India rather than a series.

17 hours ago, Corky said:

Can't be, remember when we had Mullally, Caddick, Tufnell and Giddins in the lower order?

They must've made a hundred each, or between them in their career at least.

lol

Match is about even at the minute, we'll have to cut our losses on Rashid soon and just let him go, not good enough at this level, too many loose balls, to be going at 4 an over on a pitch turning this much and this slow is staggering. He doesn't even have the excuse of just arriving either.

I've been watching cricket for a few years now and can't recall a match where spin has dominated so much from day one.  I don't believe that there are any regulations that prevent the preparation of a wicket that heavily favours spin but it does take something out of the game.  This match won't go five days so we won't be able to see if the pitch deteriorates to a condition which could be deemed as unsuitable.

12 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Bangladesh look to have arrived as a force . They have been very impressive albeit in helpful conditions 

Think England have dropped the ball here , no way should they be loosing to this crowd no way at all 

sloppy stuff and signs that some need to get home and rested but the schedule is mental at the moment 

on a plus side it's nice to see a team like Bangladesh actually tying to improve at 5 day cricket everyone (outside eng and Oz) else has given up as far as I can see 

Guest FriendlyRam

India players look the least bothered when it comes to test cricket.. I remember a few years back when we 4-0 at home against them, they looked like they couldn't wait to get off the pitch the moment it started. 

Australia and ourselves are the only two that are bothered totally agree, but even then Australia only look bothered when its a home Ashes series. Pakistan have made some effort recently though to be fair, but still a fair way to go.

Spinners are not good enough, and cook clearly agrees given the lack of trust he has in them. 

Good effort from Bangladesh but not for the first time on this tour they are unable to finish it off and get a win. 

The longer batting line up the big difference really. 

Think the DRS has been good for the game but there were 25 reviews in that Test and 11 overturned which is farcical. Dharmasena in particular, 8 decisions overturned on review. You'd hope its not the automation paradox creeping in.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Think the DRS has been good for the game but there were 25 reviews in that Test and 11 overturned which is farcical. Dharmasena in particular, 8 decisions overturned on review. You'd hope its not the automation paradox creeping in.

There has to be a penalty for getting it wrong , if it's reviewed and out on all the parameter it should be 5 runs conceded that would mean people would think twice about using   

30 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

There has to be a penalty for getting it wrong , if it's reviewed and out on all the parameter it should be 5 runs conceded that would mean people would think twice about using   

Well no, that's not my point at all. I don't think there's any issue with frivolous reviewing, because its not in the spirit of the game. If you get it wrong you lose your reviews, that's enough of a deterrent. Besides, that would be unenforceable and ridiculously harsh given that most of the time its only one parameter that's being disputed.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Well no, that's not my point at all. I don't think there's any issue with frivolous reviewing, because its not in the spirit of the game. If you get it wrong you lose your reviews, that's enough of a deterrent. Besides, that would be unenforceable and ridiculously harsh given that most of the time its only one parameter that's being disputed.

Common sense would be for the ump to just check something he's unsure of before giving a decision, rather than allowing it to be challenged after giving it. We've done it with run outs for years so why not with other disputes?

That said, it probably means the problem of umps becoming glorified ball counters will only get worse.

On 10/22/2016 at 08:55, Crinklyfox said:

I've been watching cricket for a few years now and can't recall a match where spin has dominated so much from day one.  I don't believe that there are any regulations that prevent the preparation of a wicket that heavily favours spin but it does take something out of the game.  This match won't go five days so we won't be able to see if the pitch deteriorates to a condition which could be deemed as unsuitable.

I thought it was great.

I have no problem with pitches being prepared in a different way, it was a balanced game with over 1,000 runs in and 40 wickets, nothing wrong with that at all, no rule to say seamers should have something in it for them.

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

You can see why stick cricket stuck in "dodgy Darma" last series, he had a shocker, he's hopeless at decisions where the ball is pitching in line.

Ansari in for Rashid and Hameed in for Ballance the changes for me, I've given up on him now, if he can't take wickets on a pitch like that as a leg spinner against Bangladesh he's never going to. Stick to ODI's where the batsman have to come at him. Hameed should be given a chance here, if only to give him a game before sticking him into the Lions den in india.

What are peoples thoughts on those who decided not to travel?  Especially the captain.

A part of me thinks they should never play again, or at least I hope the players bought into replace them do so well they push them out.

With the security around the England players they'd be safer there than practically anywhere.

I personally don't think the players should have a choice, if its deemed safe they should travel.

8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

What are peoples thoughts on those who decided not to travel?  Especially the captain.

A part of me thinks they should never play again, or at least I hope the players bought into replace them do so well they push them out.

With the security around the England players they'd be safer there than practically anywhere.

I personally don't think the players should have a choice, if its deemed safe they should travel.

Morgan should never play again, I could sort of understand it had he also said he wouldn't go to India but to not go Bangladesh but accept a bumper IPL contract when both countries are considered dangerous is ridiculous, when the going got tough he got going and I can't imagine him gaining any respect in a team talk ever again from those who did travel and fight to a victory.

Although he should have been removed when he decided to skip Ireland away for the IPL last year, how the ECB allowed him to do that I still don't know.

I agree on the last point, you have security advice and you either take it as a team or you don't.

Archived