Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2016

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

In this day and age definitely, we could even have a situation where a player like Woakes is batting at number 11, Starc has done it for Aus and Southee for NZ, all far better batsman than Amir.

A 22 ball 50 is the same as Buttler's 50, the fastest ever for an Englishman, to do that at number 11, means that 9 wickets have gone done (probably only happens in 5% of ODIs), so the bowling team are on top and you are running out of partners and possibly balls, you would need minimum of 4 overs left to do it, and if you do have plenty of balls left then you will not be slogging it, as the no 11 batsman you will be rotating the strike to get the other batsman on. If there is any chance of victory then the number 11 will not just slog it and play high risk shots, unless they need over 12 an over, any less and he will be looking to get off strike. The only chance of this ever happening again is when the game is clearly lost and the final wicket pair are just slogging it for fun and get very lucky. Amir is not a good batsman he just smashed it and got lucky, a better batsman at number 11 would craft an innings and protect their wicket for the good of the team.

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

A 22 ball 50 is the same as Buttler's 50, the fastest ever for an Englishman, to do that at number 11, means that 9 wickets have gone done (probably only happens in 5% of ODIs), so the bowling team are on top and you are running out of partners and possibly balls, you would need minimum of 4 overs left to do it, and if you do have plenty of balls left then you will not be slogging it, as the no 11 batsman you will be rotating the strike to get the other batsman on. If there is any chance of victory then the number 11 will not just slog it and play high risk shots, unless they need over 12 an over, any less and he will be looking to get off strike. The only chance of this ever happening again is when the game is clearly lost and the final wicket pair are just slogging it for fun and get very lucky. Amir is not a good batsman he just smashed it and got lucky, a better batsman at number 11 would craft an innings and protect their wicket for the good of the team.

That situation will occur again though and the number 11's these days can have a slog. Of course it helped that Rashid was bowling as well giving the batsman a chance to take his go at the coconut shy, in a tighter contest he would have been hauled out quicker.

Look at this list of 50's in under 20 balls, Southee, Van Dr Meerwe, Willey andTanvir all in it and all of those could feasibly bat number 11 in International cricket. I'll bet the record is broken in the next ten years.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/305877.html

Managed to get last minute tickets yesterday morning. Bloody brilliant!

Sat in Radcliffe Road middle and couldn't believe that straight six by Buttler that hit the upper roof. Biggest I've ever seen live.

We've got a fantastic ODI team at the minute.

England are not playing T20 to their own new ethos...

Either they are finding fear, or didnt fancy going for it....

Trying  to be Too clever, blew their night apart.

Not going for their shots, not physically but in their minds.

I have said for 2 years, have 2 batsman near the top just ready to slog,

or no holding back, not blindly but no negatives..

15 hours ago, Worthington said:

Collapse of the season today by Somerset. They had an outside chance of winning the CC and at 300 odd for 2 looked strong. Losing 5 wickets without adding a run though !!!! 

I fancy Yorkshire for the title. Middlesex 270 all out, it could go down to the last few overs of the season!

19 hours ago, Worthington said:

I thought the winner would come from that game too. But with Yorkshire digging in and Notts capitulating, you'd have to say Somerset are now edging towards the driving seat!

Yorkshire very close to the batting point they need 17 runs required 2 wickets left. It feels tense just watching the cricinfo balls tick by!

3 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

Rain stopped play with York's needing 1 run with 1 wicket left. Dramatic stuff.

I wondered why Cricinfo had stopped updating. lol

Shame these last two days couldn't have been played out over a Saturday/Sunday really, when many more could enjoy it.

Desperately want a draw today for a Somerset victory, but can only see one of the two sides at Lord's coming away with the title.

Going to be a great day's drama whatever happens! I know I said it previously, but it really is such a shame it couldn't be played out over a Wednesday-Saturday or Thursday-Sunday so more could enjoy it in the flesh and on TV.

Problem for Somerset is surely Middlesex will set a gettable declaration at some point?

Makes no sense for them to just waddle onto a draw when they need to win as well, wouldnt surprise me if they set Yorkshire something like 180-190 from 40 overs, of which they'll surely either get or be bowled out.

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

Problem for Somerset is surely Middlesex will set a gettable declaration at some point?

Makes no sense for them to just waddle onto a draw when they need to win as well, wouldnt surprise me if they set Yorkshire something like 180-190 from 40 overs, of which they'll surely either get or be bowled out.

Good point, forgot they were still in it. BBC talking of declaring with a 200 lead and 40 overs left, but that requires T20 scoring rate. With both sides having to go for it, it could be a cracking finale. Middlesex need to start slogging though to get anything like a 200 lead.

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Good point, forgot they were still in it. BBC talking of declaring with a 200 lead and 40 overs left, but that requires T20 scoring rate. With both sides having to go for it, it could be a cracking finale. Middlesex need to start slogging though to get anything like a 200 lead.

More like a one day scoring rate.

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Less than that even. Yorkshire would piss it at five an over in this situation.

I think it will be far tougher than you think, two balls from Sidebottom in the last over died and literally rolled across the floor.

I'll be on Middlesex if they need 200 in 40.

22 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

More like a one day scoring rate.

I meant for Middlesex to set that as a target, with the overs lost through the turn over, they needed to get 160 off about 25 overs to give Yorkshire that as a target.

Ok that would probably still be a good ODI rate, I was just saying that they need to get a wriggle on to give them something to bowl at.

Imagine how Somerset must feel now watching this.

Lyth and Lees lobbing up pies and they have brought the field up, agreement has been reached on something.

22 from the first over from it lol

Archived