Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

Any builders on here? I'm after some help please

In the market for a new house, but as a drummer I need a drum room - 4x4m minimum, but preferably more like 4x6m if budget allows

I've found a place in Sileby which is well within my budget and allows me to spend a bit more on the project, however I spoke to a mate who's a surveyor and he estimated that as an extension it'd cost around £25-£30k, + VAT + engineering costs etc, which I feared. Now as far as I'm aware I wouldn't need to class this as living space, as the room(/annexe building) would purely be used for practicing drums - it'd never contain a bed, or need plumbing. It would need electricity and lighting, and soundproofing so as to not bother the neighbours. I should add even at 4x6m this unit/extension would probably only make up 10% of the garden space, and hopefully the rule still applies that if it's under 2.5m total height then it wouldn't need planning permission.

Have you ever built something like this as a standalone unit, and roughly what sort of cost am I looking at (totalling all costs, inc adding foundations)? Doesn't have to look anything special from the outside, but I'd say brick/block built as I fear a log cabin type job would perish too quickly

I'd even consider buying on of those pre-fab concrete garages (roughly £2k) if the materials and labour to get it up to spec wouldn't be through the roof, and if it's likely to last 20 years+

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

6 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

In the market for a new house, but as a drummer I need a drum room - 4x4m minimum, but preferably more like 4x6m if budget allows

I've found a place in Sileby which is well within my budget and allows me to spend a bit more on the project, however I spoke to a mate who's a surveyor and he estimated that as an extension it'd cost around £25-£30k, + VAT + engineering costs etc, which I feared. Now as far as I'm aware I wouldn't need to class this as living space, as the room(/annexe building) would purely be used for practicing drums - it'd never contain a bed, or need plumbing. It would need electricity and lighting, and soundproofing so as to not bother the neighbours. I should add even at 4x6m this unit/extension would probably only make up 10% of the garden space, and hopefully the rule still applies that if it's under 2.5m total height then it wouldn't need planning permission.

Have you ever built something like this as a standalone unit, and roughly what sort of cost am I looking at (totalling all costs, inc adding foundations)? Doesn't have to look anything special from the outside, but I'd say brick/block built as I fear a log cabin type job would perish too quickly

I'd even consider buying on of those pre-fab concrete garages (roughly £2k) if the materials and labour to get it up to spec wouldn't be through the roof, and if it's likely to last 20 years+

Log cabin wouldn’t perish as long as keep on top of the required maintenance and would be a better asset when you come to sell the property as a prefab is unlikely to be looked at as desirable.

Cost wise unfortunately I can’t help much as building material prices are evolving all the time.

I think there is a place on the A6 near Rothley that sells the cabins, I’d pop in and see them as I think you can tailor them to suit you requirements. They might be able to build it pre-wired, pre-soundproofed, all you would need is a base, an electrical feed and the connection doing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I used to do a lot of work for a company that does log cabins. They're all pressure treated, if you didn't put a lick of paint on them it'd last 20 years, if you paint it every 7 to 10 years it'll last forever.

Actually , a lot of them now are clad in plastic, they're maintenance free.

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 2

Just now, Webbo said:

I used to do a lot of work for a company that does log cabins. They're all pressure treated, if you didn't put a lick of paint on them it'd last 20 years, if you paint it every 7 to 10 years it'll last forever.

It’s the roof that you need to watch, get it felted every 2-3 years as water inside a warm wooden building is a recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

It’s the roof that you need to watch, get it felted every 2-3 years as water inside a warm wooden building is a recipe for disaster.

There are different types of rooves, depends how much you want to spend. 

The "executive garden rooms" (I used to call them plastic sheds) are probably a better option, virtually maintenance free.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Great help, thanks @Strokes @Webbo. I'll get doing some research!

We are designing a load of garden rooms at the moment that act as annexes or garden offices. I would avoid anything that doesn't comply with the building regs (even though at that size you probably wouldn't need BR) then you will get your 20 years lifespan.

Expect to pay in the order of £12k+ for this.

I don't know the company, but this website gives some kit prices: https://www.futuresips.co.uk/metro-full-kit/

I would be very happy with a timber frame or SIPs solution as they will be cheaper and warmer that brick/block. We do work with these guys so you could get a quote from them, https://www.tgescapes.co.uk/residential-range-and-prices

• Like 1

Third house move attempt underway.

Second attempt collapsed due to the old boy living there needing an op. Rise in virus + isolating + timescales meant it wasn't possible. Endlessly frustrating. Genuinely thought our buyers would pull straight out but they said we could have two weeks to see if anywhere came up.

Found a place that's lovely, and the owners are moving out in three weeks no matter what. It's a developer part ex, too, so managed to get £5k less than the asking price. (not a "rebound" house, either. If anything, this is better than the second attempt house)

Just hope this one goes better than attempts one and two so I can finally check out of posting on this thread!

• Like 1

Is it worthwhile having more than one mortrage advisor at the pre mortgrate in principle stage so you can compare mortrage in principle offers or is it too much of a hassle? 

Edited by The Blur

34 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Found nothing near me for about 6 weeks now, anyone else having any trouble? The demand seems to have just slowed right down, or maybe I'm being a little fussy?

Yeah I think the market has slowed somewhat. Dunno if the stamp duty window uncertainty is playing a part, covid economics is hitting or it's generally just a crap time of year for houses but from daily scanning on Right Move it's nowhere near as hectic as it was. Loads of newbuilds though. Will be interesting to see if the developers can't shift them.

22 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Is it worthwhile having more than one mortrage advisor at the pre mortgrate in principle stage so you can compare mortrage in principle offers or is it too much of a hassle? 

From my own experience we've only ever had one. He just grabs a MIP with whoever so we can prove we can get a mortgage, and then goes for the best deal when he's at the stage to secure a mortgage on the property.

Once he's sorted one he sends us a copy of all the offers he's gone through so we can see that we've got the best deal he can get us based on his work. I'm not sure a second will reveal anything hugely different, especially if you're working with someone experienced?

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/10/02/exclusive-boris-johnson-vows-put-generation-buy-housing-ladder/

'Boris Johnson has promised to create "Generation Buy" with low-deposit mortgages to help get young people onto the housing ladder.

The Prime Minister said he would "fix" the problem of unaffordable deposits that has caused millions of people to put their dreams of home ownership on hold.

Mr Johnson told The Telegraph ahead of the virtual Conservative Party conference that he was determined to press ahead with a "massive domestic agenda" and deliver on manifesto promises, despite the coronavirus crisis.

He also insisted he remained a low-tax, libertarian Conservative who would pay for the cost of the pandemic through a "free market-led recovery" and dismissed talk of rivalry between him and Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, as "untrue".

In a wide-ranging interview, Mr Johnson also addressed criticism of his Covid restrictions by saying there was a "moral imperative" to save lives, as well as discussing the chances of a Brexit deal and revealing how he gets his baby son Wilfred to sleep.

Speaking in his Downing Street office, the Prime Minister outlined his plans for a successor to Margaret Thatcher's Right to Buy policy as he explained how he would solve the problem of "Generation Rent".

He said: "I think a huge, huge number of people feel totally excluded from capitalism, from the idea of home ownership, which is so vital for our society. And we're going to fix that – 'Generation Buy' is what we're going for."

'More than two million people who are comfortably able to afford mortgage repayments are locked out of the housing market because they cannot save up for deposits, which typically run to 15 or 20 per cent of a property's value.

Mr Johnson has asked ministers to work up plans for encouraging long-term fixed-rate mortgages with five per cent deposits. They are likely to involve reversing regulatory changes made in the wake of the financial crash that have required banks to stress-test applicants. By removing stress tests, banks would be able to offer 95 per cent loans, as was the norm 15 years ago.

It is understood that the Government could also accept some of the risk through a form of state guarantee to give lenders additional confidence.

Mr Johnson said: "We need mortgages that will help people really get on the housing ladder even if they have only a very small amount to pay by way of deposit, the 95 per cent mortgages. I think it could be absolutely revolutionary, particularly for young people."

If this happens the market will go crazy, again.

31 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Yeah I think the market has slowed somewhat. Dunno if the stamp duty window uncertainty is playing a part, covid economics is hitting or it's generally just a crap time of year for houses but from daily scanning on Right Move it's nowhere near as hectic as it was. Loads of newbuilds though. Will be interesting to see if the developers can't shift them.

Can't really find anything in my budget that suits me (175-195k), it's all 210k+ or stuff that will be small in 5 years time, and I don't want the hassle nor the cost of moving again.

On 04/10/2020 at 12:46, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

You can get a prefab that size for <£10k - it would use SIP panels - properly insulated and  should last as long as you like as long as you look after it…

I have been looking at getting something like the photo for my new house and put the eldest boy in the garden!

No planning needed either - I’m hoping to get 3 x 4m for <£7k all in (electrics the lot)

09C52F2F-65B4-42C0-8EED-7EBEC8A3FA60.jpeg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

You can get a prefab that size for <£10k - it would use SIP panels - properly insulated and  should last as long as you like as long as you look after it…

I have been looking at getting something like the photo for my new house and put the eldest boy in the garden!

No planning needed either - I’m hoping to get 3 x 4m for <£7k all in (electrics the lot)

09C52F2F-65B4-42C0-8EED-7EBEC8A3FA60.jpeg

Yeah looks similar to what other people are recommending, I need to get some proper quotes though as I have a feeling soundproofing it properly will pretty much double the price as to do it right you ideally want two walls all round and sound deadening insulation in between. Last thing I want to do is move house and immediately piss my neighbours off with my drums lol

• Haha 1

Went to pick our options and extras on Friday for our new build. Christ almighty they have you by the bollocks for some of the stuff. I wanted to expand the 4 gas ring burner hob to a 5 burner but they said to do that id need to expand the chimney hood to satisfy building regs. £700 for the chimney hood they wanted, extortion. Integrated dishwasher (one of the thin ones not even full sized) £800. Chrome towel rails for the bathroom and en suite? £400 a pop. 

We managed to get pretty much exactly what we wanted for a lot less than we thought we were going to have to pay by being clever about some of the bits but i can imagine people going silly with that stuff and spending another 15/20 grand!

13 hours ago, Manini said:

Went to pick our options and extras on Friday for our new build. Christ almighty they have you by the bollocks for some of the stuff. I wanted to expand the 4 gas ring burner hob to a 5 burner but they said to do that id need to expand the chimney hood to satisfy building regs. £700 for the chimney hood they wanted, extortion. Integrated dishwasher (one of the thin ones not even full sized) £800. Chrome towel rails for the bathroom and en suite? £400 a pop. 

We managed to get pretty much exactly what we wanted for a lot less than we thought we were going to have to pay by being clever about some of the bits but i can imagine people going silly with that stuff and spending another 15/20 grand!

Just reading this kind of thing makes me angry. Glad you've got it for a good price in the end. £400 for Chrome towel rails, what kind of premium is that?

The price of new houses, too, even before these add ons. Look at this one. Granted it's a Davidsons, but a three-bed terrace, on the main road on what will be a 4,000 house development? £316k pre-additions? Behave. Look at the size of it!

image.thumb.png.d53cb9eb5d7518f4480cad0ec2d93bec.png

10 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Just reading this kind of thing makes me angry. Glad you've got it for a good price in the end. £400 for Chrome towel rails, what kind of premium is that?

The price of new houses, too, even before these add ons. Look at this one. Granted it's a Davidsons, but a three-bed terrace, on the main road on what will be a 4,000 house development? £316k pre-additions? Behave. Look at the size of it!

When did £315k become 'ideal for first time buyers'?!

15 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Is this the going rate in the east mids at the minute?! That’s a ridiculous price for that property. 

14 hours ago, Manini said:

You’d be best off asking for a refund on stuff you don’t want fitting and simply do it yourself when you move in…. That’s clearly nonsense money - I’d end up telling to go swing as I hate feeling ripped off…

just say leave me a hole for 5 burner hob and I will drop my own in…

They don’t provide an integrated dishwasher ffs?  

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

You’d be best off asking for a refund on stuff you don’t want fitting and simply do it yourself when you move in…. That’s clearly nonsense money - I’d end up telling to go swing as I hate feeling ripped off…

just say leave me a hole for 5 burner hob and I will drop my own in…

They don’t provide an integrated dishwasher ffs?  

We’ve been pretty cute with it mate, thanks for the advice though. We’ll be doing a lot ourselves. 

To be fair they gave us a choice of flooring throughout the house for free, an integrated fridge freezer for free and some of the standard tiling options were a cut above other people we know have bought similar properties in the past, so not all bad by any stretch but some of the figures they come up with for some of the bits, as you say are just nonsense amounts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Manini said:

We’ve been pretty cute with it mate, thanks for the advice though. We’ll be doing a lot ourselves. 

To be fair they gave us a choice of flooring throughout the house for free, an integrated fridge freezer for free and some of the standard tiling options were a cut above other people we know have bought similar properties in the past, so not all bad by any stretch but some of the figures they come up with for some of the bits, as you say are just nonsense amounts. 

Good stuff

Not everyone will play hardball and will end up getting well and truly ripped off…. You’re paying a nice premium in the first instance for a new house

Hope your move goes well….

I’m quite jealous as you’ll rock up drop your bags and start living!  

I have an extension to build and a loft conversion as well as a complete redecoration!  It’s my 4th renovation project and I quite enjoy a project, but, it’ll be hard work!

57 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Good stuff

Not everyone will play hardball and will end up getting well and truly ripped off…. You’re paying a nice premium in the first instance for a new house

Hope your move goes well….

I’m quite jealous as you’ll rock up drop your bags and start living!  

I have an extension to build and a loft conversion as well as a complete redecoration!  It’s my 4th renovation project and I quite enjoy a project, but, it’ll be hard work!

Thanks mate, not until feb so a bit of time to prepare, got lots of furniture and stuff to buy as well so it’ll be a busy period over the next few months. 

That was part of the appeal tbh. We found a development which was in a good area for us. The houses were at the very top end of our budget really but we thought we’d probably only get the opportunity to do it once so we may as well go for it first time round and have it exactly how we want it without anyone having lived in it first. I’m looking forward to it. 

Do you do the renovations for yourself to live in or as a business model? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manini said:Do you do the renovations for yourself to live in or as a business model? 

For myself to live in…. For a few reasons really

1 - I’m a skinflint 

2 - I don’t like paying for some else’s taste

3 - it’s nice to add value to your house

4 - I enjoy a project 

I have never viewed a house and looked at it for what it is…. I tend to look at what it could be….

Coming up with plans/ ideas…. Getting involved and sorting something out…. I am of medium competence when it comes to DIY…. I tend to hire people to do the bits that make a difference and try and do other bits myself.

On this project, I’ll be hiring more people than doing it myself as my job is so busy…. When I was young I did everything on a shoestring and got some good results…

I did up my first house on around £2k…. New heating/ plastering/ some carpets - complete redecoration - floor re-levelled - damp proof

i brought a kitchen for £100 from a lady at work

a mate did a few bits of plastering in exchange for beers

work gave me a customer return boiler 

I even through a load of crap into the grills of two gas fires and called Transco to come and cap them off so I could rip them out !

you get creative when you have zero money!

I might pop along with some before and after shots of the new project…. It’s deeply satisfying when you restore something and make something nice for your family…!

• Like 1