Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

On 31/10/2020 at 20:18, The Fox Covert said:

The current arrangements are a win-win position for solicitors who have no incentive to complete the search and the conveyancing in a timely fashion. If, like estate agents, they received nothing if a sale falls through they would soon change their ways.

This drives me mad with solicitors. They certainly take their time 

Thinking of pulling out of a purchase of a place in buying in Buckingham, although I really don't want to.

Reason is that due to a vendetta against the neighbour 2 doors down, last Friday some nutter came and torched a number of cars in the car parking area and 3 cars got written off as well as the parking area getting badly damanged.

I was prepared to accept that as a one off but it turns from speaking to residents nearby said neighbour 2 doors down in a pain in the bum, regularly holding loud parties late into the night, and neighbours have called police on him.

Not sure if I'm being too sensitive or cautious here, but don't want to have to deal with a self-centred chav day in day out. He also came to confront me when I parked in his car parking slot when I first viewed the place, and came across as a dick then too, so I can well believe he causes aggro.

Gutted though as it was only 2 weeks off completion and now it seems its back to square one, and also very little chance of taking advantage of the stamp duty holiday too.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

49 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Thinking of pulling out of a purchase of a place in buying in Buckingham, although I really don't want to.

Reason is that due to a vendetta against the neighbour 2 doors down, last Friday some nutter came and torched a number of cars in the car parking area and 3 cars got written off as well as the parking area getting badly damanged.

I was prepared to accept that as a one off but it turns from speaking to residents nearby said neighbour 2 doors down in a pain in the bum, regularly holding loud parties late into the night, and neighbours have called police on him.

Not sure if I'm being too sensitive or cautious here, but don't want to have to deal with a self-centred chav day in day out. He also came to confront me when I parked in his car parking slot when I first viewed the place, and came across as a dick then too, so I can well believe he causes aggro.

Gutted though as it was only 2 weeks off completion and now it seems its back to square one, and also very little chance of taking advantage of the stamp duty holiday too.

Neighbours just as important as a decent house mate. If you're having doubts, stay away if you can. Otherwise your car will get burnt!!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Agree with the above post, nothing worse than a dodgy neighbour and the seller is legally obliged to point this out to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I would.  There is still time to take advantage of the SD holiday if you get your skates on.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newfox1 said:

Neighbours just as important as a decent house mate. If you're having doubts, stay away if you can. Otherwise your car will get burnt!!

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Agree with the above post, nothing worse than a dodgy neighbour and the seller is legally obliged to point this out to you.

53 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would.  There is still time to take advantage of the SD holiday if you get your skates on.  

Thanks all for advice - really appreciate it - and it's helped me make up my mind for sure - nice one!

• Like 1

Am on the same boat as you, first time buyer. Just so many unknowns at the moment. Depressing as hell endlessly browsing right move for the house of you dreams daily, but more importantly can afford.

Some say house prices going down, others saying hold on, buy in a few  months. Just so confusing. 

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Is it?   What piece of legislation say that?

57 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

The bit that I probably made up a few hours ago. 

9 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Man,  I knew something was up when no one respond to that point before I did  lol

I think the seller of the property is legally obliged to tell you if they've had any disputes or altercations with any neighbours.

I don't think you're legally obliged to tell potential buyers that your neighbours enjoy loud sex into the early hours of the morning, or that they grow weed in the attic.

• Like 1

Contracts have been dispatched. No-one in the chain is pulling out. Could be moving in in a matter of two or so weeks.

Considering the first offer we put in on a house was accepted on 19 November 2019, two more houses, one more sale, living in boxes since June. It's agonisingly close. Agonisingly.

• Like 4

Anyone done any property development? 

Neighbour of mine has a large back garden that backs onto a new estate cul de sac, with direct access to the road and sandwiched between two new builds. I dropped into convo that I'd be interested in looking at the feasibility of getting planning for the plot (about t 16m x 20m) ....

Anyone never done it as the fella was interested (albeit a bit of an odd man and I suspect he's just playing me)

Thinking of viewing a couple of houses around the cricket county ground area, Aylestone-ish. Low end , 200k mark give or take. Any tips? Homes seem much more affordable there. I'm just not decisive enough when it comes to buying or attempting to buy. 

Are mortgages getting much more difficult to get now?

21 minutes ago, newfox1 said:

Thinking of viewing a couple of houses around the cricket county ground area, Aylestone-ish. Low end , 200k mark give or take. Any tips? Homes seem much more affordable there. I'm just not decisive enough when it comes to buying or attempting to buy. 

Are mortgages getting much more difficult to get now?

Definitely more difficult to get. What sort of job do you do if you don’t mind me asking? If you just need to use your basic income with no bonus/OT etc and your job isn’t too high risk you should be ok.

1 hour ago, newfox1 said:

Financing the house should be ok but just hearing different things. Any thoughts about the area. About 1/2 mile around the cricket ground?

Depends in which direction towards the Staff or Aylestone Road? I grew up around there and always liked it but I think most people have a soft spot for where they grew up. It's generally fine this side of Saffron Lane, gets a bit dodgier the other side.

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Definitely more difficult to get. What sort of job do you do if you don’t mind me asking? If you just need to use your basic income with no bonus/OT etc and your job isn’t too high risk you should be ok.

How do you stand if you've been furloughed or now it's extended, you continue to be furloughed? Is your salary still eligible?  If it's not that's going to hinder a lot of people attempting to get finance?

25 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

How do you stand if you've been furloughed or now it's extended, you continue to be furloughed? Is your salary still eligible?  If it's not that's going to hinder a lot of people attempting to get finance?

It depends on your job really but the key is whether it’s seen as ongoing and sustainable. Many lenders won’t go near people who are still furloughed, some will but might use 80% of your income.

Its getting harder on that front for sure.

23 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We received an offer last night, went back and have a second offer which is pretty close to our guide price!  Just waiting to see if we get any further interest from the two viewings this morning before we decide to accept.  

Excellent news.

We've not had millions of viewings but lots of those who have are then ruling it out for reasons that were evident from the listing. You spend half a day preparing the house for a viewing and then we've had the location being wrong - not close enough to Belfast - Londonderry never has been, the upstairs bedrooms not big enough for the kids - they're both 17' x 12' !!  And others similar. It's just wasting everyone's time. I know you need to view to properly appreciate it, although we've one of those full 360 tours but surely basic stuff like location or room size is evident from the details. You get your hopes up when a viewing is booked but then wonder why you bothered.  We'd been pretty much resigned to nothing happenung until next year and then the last couple of viewings with feedback of this nature has resurected the frustration. Moan over :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Excellent news.

We've not had millions of viewings but lots of those who have are then ruling it out for reasons that were evident from the listing. You spend half a day preparing the house for a viewing and then we've had the location being wrong - not close enough to Belfast - Londonderry never has been, the upstairs bedrooms not big enough for the kids - they're both 17' x 12' !!  And others similar. It's just wasting everyone's time. I know you need to view to properly appreciate it, although we've one of those full 360 tours but surely basic stuff like location or room size is evident from the details. You get your hopes up when a viewing is booked but then wonder why you bothered.  We'd been pretty much resigned to nothing happenung until next year and then the last couple of viewings with feedback of this nature has resurected the frustration. Moan over :D

Out of interest, if somebody didn't need a mortgage, and had the funds, how much below the asking price would you accept. 5-10% ? Knowing that a mortgage isn't required especially in these times where I'm noticing houses being sold and back on the market after a few weeks as buyer couldn't get a mortgage. 

7 minutes ago, newfox1 said:

Out of interest, if somebody didn't need a mortgage, and had the funds, how much below the asking price would you accept. 5-10% ? Knowing that a mortgage isn't required especially in these times where I'm noticing houses being sold and back on the market after a few weeks as buyer couldn't get a mortgage. 

Probably 5 -7% I can't imagine anyone would be looking at our house without a mortgage though.