Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

Out of interest guys, what's the area in Braunstone town like? Thinking near the police station? 

Homes there seem nice and kept to a good standard from the outside. Would love your thoughts as prices there seem quite decent compared to other parts.

Thanks.

Are you on the Braunstone Town side, or the Braunstone side?

The Braunstone Town side there, near Shakespeare Drive etc is fine. I was bought up a two minute walk further down there, and my mum still lives there now. The houses are perfectly fine and the area is relatively quiet. Brauny Lane is a good road to be on/near as well as it's a good link to town/fosse park/M1/LFE etc.

On 23/12/2020 at 16:20, newfox1 said:

Out of interest guys, what's the area in Braunstone town like? Thinking near the police station? 

Homes there seem nice and kept to a good standard from the outside. Would love your thoughts as prices there seem quite decent compared to other parts.

Thanks.

Perfectly fine round there near the police station etc. One of my exs lived right near there.

• Thanks 1

Just now, newfox1 said:

Many congrats on your new home dude. Hope it's full of happiness , laughter and wonderful memories. 

It wasn’t last week when the painters were still there and I’m trying to move in!

Feels like I’m on holiday for Xmas.

Not got a clue how I’m going to fill my evenings and weekends now.

On 21/12/2020 at 15:59, Izzy said:

Has anyone ever 'ported' their mortgage? (moved house and taken your existing mortgage with you?)

We need to move next year but I'm quite happy with the deal we're on and cba to re-mortgage/change lender. Got a bit of cash saved to pay the difference on a bigger house so heard that porting might be an option?

We just did this - managed to port (and extend on the same terms that we are on now). I called up the bank directly and they said it wasn't possible. Went through a broker, and they said "No problem". Worth shopping around with brokers, etc. Doesn't cost you anything and they seem to have access to deals that you can't necessarily get yourself. 

Oh, and I would strongly advise using a recommended solicitor. I used one in Leicester that was absolutely useless. Wouldn't return calls or emails for weeks. We missed our initial move date as we couldn't get through to them. If our buyers weren't so chilled, we would have lost them too. It still cost me a few hundred pounds as it was.  

I ended up calling every day at 10am and 3pm and emailing 4 times a day for a week...not even a call back or an email from them. Then we were issued a different (freelance) solicitor who was only marginally better.   :mad:

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Milo said:

We just did this - managed to port (and extend on the same terms that we are on now). I called up the bank directly and they said it wasn't possible. Went through a broker, and they said "No problem". Worth shopping around with brokers, etc. Doesn't cost you anything and they seem to have access to deals that you can't necessarily get yourself. 

Oh, and I would strongly advise using a recommended solicitor. I used one in Leicester that was absolutely useless. Wouldn't return calls or emails for weeks. We missed our initial move date as we couldn't get through to them. If our buyers weren't so chilled, we would have lost them too. It still cost me a few hundred pounds as it was.  

I ended up calling every day at 10am and 3pm and emailing 4 times a day for a week...not even a call back or an email from them. Then we were issued a different (freelance) solicitor who was only marginally better.   :mad:

I had a bad experience with a solicitor ONCE

I will never ever save money in that regard again, it was a nightmare 

i selected a Leicester based solicitor this time who my current neighbour knows personally…. 

Someone told me earlier

'The government have issued a letter to all solicitors requesting that a pre and post holiday stamp duty figure is provided to the buyer, and the the solicitor must reinforce that that the buyer is liable for the higher amount if completion is after the 31st. '

Looks like the SD holiday will indeed be ending on the 31st March.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Someone told me earlier

'The government have issued a letter to all solicitors requesting that a pre and post holiday stamp duty figure is provided to the buyer, and the the solicitor must reinforce that that the buyer is liable for the higher amount if completion is after the 31st. '

Disappointing.

I'm going to assume that with you (Leics) moving into T4, the already slow buying process is going to be even slower and the delay will result in more people missing the deadline, so potentially pulling out and collapsing chains?

I've not looked at the details but are house viewings, listings etc still permitted in T4?

31 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Disappointing.

I'm going to assume that with you (Leics) moving into T4, the already slow buying process is going to be even slower and the delay will result in more people missing the deadline, so potentially pulling out and collapsing chains?

I've not looked at the details but are house viewings, listings etc still permitted in T4?

Yeah can still view houses as long as the guidelines are followed.

Houses in my area that were sold in August still haven't completed, the process is looking like 5 months+ at the minute.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Houses in my area that were sold in August still haven't completed, the process is looking like 5 months+ at the minute.

I'm in that exact same boat. Solicitor blaming the local searches. Doing my head in. 

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Good and bad. Although hoping the one's on our shortlist aren't sold, I was hoping for new listings to increase post Christmas, a few more options and to while away the hours of lockdown.

39 minutes ago, Soup said:

I'm in that exact same boat. Solicitor blaming the local searches. Doing my head in. 

Tell your solicitor to put in search delay insurance - if you have a lender, they’ll accept it - it will be ready for you to exchange in 24hrs. It will cost you no more then an actual local search (£150 max) but with the potential savings on SD it’s a no brainier. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Tell your solicitor to put in search delay insurance - if you have a lender, they’ll accept it - it will be ready for you to exchange in 24hrs. It will cost you no more then an actual local search (£150 max) but with the potential savings on SD it’s a no brainier. 

It's the bloke buying our place that is the hold up, but I'm in contact with him so will mention it. Thanks for the advice, never gets any easier buying or selling. So stressful. 

• Like 1

We are moving next week after a prolonged sale and purchase. Saving a wedge on stamp duty too.

Did anyone else get their purchase devalued during the survey? Lenders being very cautious at the moment... We did and it proved very stressful as had to renegotiate the price and met in the middle - but ultimately another tidy sum saved. So while we’ve ‘had a touch’ on saving some dough we won’t have much furniture to begin with! Purchase was a real stretch, but it’s a great property which is just as good because it’s cost me my hair, some wrinkles and about 10 years worth of ageing.

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Someone told me earlier

Is there a source for this? As in, what profession is your mate in? I'd like to let others know but could do with a source!

Several articles mentioned today about prices cooling down next year and this frenzy is likely to normalise soon, again. Good news for first time buyers like me.

Just now, newfox1 said:

Is there a source for this? As in, what profession is your mate in? I'd like to let others know but could do with a source!

Several articles mentioned today about prices cooling down next year and this frenzy is likely to normalise soon, again. Good news for first time buyers like me.

Mortgages, but he claimed he was told by a solicitor, so it's probably 4th or 5th hand information to be fair.

Just thought I'd share it as I know a couple on here were wondering if it would be extended.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Someone told me earlier

Very unlikely to dictate anything at Government level. The Govt sets out stamp duty rules to The Law Society who in turn update the SRA. The SRA set rules for solicitor client care content so that in case of breach, the solicitor acts in accordance with indemnity insurance rules. It’s just another rule so lots of claims don’t come in case of a delayed completions/ and/or clients missing payments. 

In my opinion (which means nothing:D) I think they’ll extend it for at least another month.

• Thanks 1

Hi all. Depressing article generally today but last paragraph about house prices suggest that a decline is certain across different think tanks.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/01/uk-economic-outlook-for-2021-covid-surge-deepens-the-gloom

"Despite the worst recession in three centuries, house prices hit a six-year high at the end of 2020 as people rushed to use the tax break and many re-evaluated their living arrangements during lockdown.

However, mortgage lenders believe a sharp decline is coming. Halifax, Britain’s biggest mortgage lender, estimates an annual drop of between 2% and 5%, while the OBR is more pessimistic, predicting an 8% fall in prices."