Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Musa - Opinions so far

1 hour ago, ian_marshall said:

Personally don't think Mahrez is the victim of the formation but more his own success last season. Teams are doubling up and trebling up on him, even the great Messi would struggle in this team. The issue with Mahrez is that he needs another player of comparable quality in our side to take the focus off him which in turn will give him more space and time as teams won't be able to stick 3 men on him without getting punished elsewhere on the pitch. 

To use your example of Hazard, it's a different situation in my view. If teams double up on Hazard that means Pedro has a bit more freedom on the ball, and so on and so forth with the likes of Matic, Fabregas, Willian, Moses, etc. There's top quality all over the park. That's the difference between us and the top top clubs. If you single out Mahrez you stop virtually all of our creativity, if you single out Hazard you hand the freedom of the pitch to another top class player who will take you to the cleaners. 

With time I can see Gray making the step up but he needs to manage his own expectations as his overall game is still someway off in my opinion. 

As for Musa, firstly he needs game time to get match sharp. He's shown glimpses that there's a good player in there somewhere but currently he looks like he's lacking confidence. He also needs to get into the gym as he looks a little too lightweight for the Premier League. I have absolutely no idea from what I've seen of his best position. I'm certainly not convinced that he's a winger, and always thought he'd be the perfect eventual successor to Vardy. However based on Wednesday night's showing I'm not sure he has the awareness and decision making capabilities to play up front. 

Time will tell I guess.

I do agree with all this, however there has been so many occassions this season, where I have seen Mahrez defending so deep, alongside Simpson, and so when we do get the ball and look to break quickly, because Mahrez doesn't have the pace or stamina, the outward ball to him is rarely available or if it is, he has too much work to do from where he is, and so we are often left to the hopeful floated ball to either Vardy or Slimani, with no support.

I would like to see us being able to cover the defensive duties done by Mahrez with a formation and player change, so he can stay further up the pitch when we are defending and help provide the link from defence to attack. Even if he does have players still doubling and tripling up on him, at least the opposition will have that to worry about, even when in attack if Mahrez stays higher up the pitch. It is by no means a solution to all our problems, and like you said, we do need more attacking quality and flair all over the pitch, but I believe this could certainly help Mahrez become more effective than he is at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sk3since03 said:

No better than what we already had. Kramaric probably would be or is better than Musa, but look what happened to him ! Him and Slimani are both a complete waste of money that would of been better spent in other positions 

Definitely better than musa, I still think Kramaric would be quality player just don't fit our system, he be great at man city or arsenal when he will get the service. 

53 minutes ago, Topman said:

Who would you say is our most natural goal scorer out of the current lot?

Vardy, his finishing has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. One poor spell with no service doesn't make him a bad striker.

Slimani is a better goalscorer than Kramaric.

Id even suggest Ulloa is.

Aside from a lethal spell in a terrible league Kram has done little to suggest he can score goals regularly in a top league. 

Hes looked better as a #10 than a #9, as shown by his chances created and assists stats this year.

(PS not a dig at Kramaric, good little player just not a natural goal scorer in my opinion)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Vardy, his finishing has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. One poor spell with no service doesn't make him a bad striker.

Slimani is a better goalscorer than Kramaric.

Id even suggest Ulloa is.

Aside from a lethal spell in a terrible league Kram has done little to suggest he can score goals regularly in a top league. 

Hes looked better as a #10 than a #9, as shown by his chances created and assists stats this year.

(PS not a dig at Kramaric, good little player just not a natural goal scorer in my opinion)

Think Vardy is more hit and hope, when he shoots he doesn't lift his head up, just go for power rather than placement. Not taking away he has improved significantly since he has been with us

8 minutes ago, Topman said:

Definitely better than musa, I still think Kramaric would be quality player just don't fit our system, he be great at man city or arsenal when he will get the service. 

I think he'd of fit in nicely if we'd of better spent the money on a creative midfielder 

1 hour ago, Topman said:

Think Vardy is more hit and hope, when he shoots he doesn't lift his head up, just go for power rather than placement. Not taking away he has improved significantly since he has been with us

Last season he was finishing at all angles and a lot weren't power, he is a natural finisher. Just like most of the squad he has lost it at the moment. Some of his strikes last season were world class.

The only time I saw the real Vardy this season was when he played for England against Spain, seems England used him better in that game than what we have this season. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Topman said:

Sounds as though you were watching Michael Owen's punditry the other week. This season I wouldn't disagree - but 2015-16 he demonstrated immense guile ad finesse, uncanny Lineker-esque levels of awareness and a deft touch in front of goal. You don't score in eleven consecutive premier league matches and rack up 24 goals a season through being 'more hit and hope'.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Sounds as though you were watching Michael Owen's punditry the other week. This season I wouldn't disagree - but 2015-16 he demonstrated immense guile ad finesse, uncanny Lineker-esque levels of awareness and a deft touch in front of goal. You don't score in eleven consecutive premier league matches and rack up 24 goals a season through being 'more hit and hope'.    

He is a class act, just going through a rough patch like the rest of our team, I think we will see the real Vardy today. I have a good feeling on this game 

• Like 1

Musa falls in the same catergory as all our summer signings, no Premiership experience looks lost in our team at times, (even tho 9 out our 11 look very low on confidence) and needs a regular run of games to see if he has what it takes.

Ron-Z, Hernandez, look poor signings

Slim has had some very average games since he joined and a hefty price tag.

Time will tell but Jan will be massive for us, Jurys still out. Will Ranieri make the right choices....I'm unsure, as make no mistake about it were in a relegation battle.

Losing to Watford WBA, Sunderland and a late goal v boro to grab a draw confirms this.

To stay in this league they are the games you win to survive.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Okazaki is our most intelligent striker, he always makes clever runs in to the box, to be honest at this moment when you have king and amartey in midfield, the strikers are struggling due to zero creativity from those two, Morgan and Huth receive the balls more from them as opposed to vardy and okazaki 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Topman said:

Okazaki is our most intelligent striker, he always makes clever runs in to the box, to be honest at this moment when you have king and amartey in midfield, the strikers are struggling due to zero creativity from those two, Morgan and Huth receive the balls more from them as opposed to vardy and okazaki 

Currently, many would agree and the service has been poor most of the season. However, what does the above have to do with your earlier comment? - which was...

2 hours ago, Topman said:

Like I said before - you don't score in eleven consecutive Premier League games to claim a previous record held by a player the calibre of Ruud Van Nistelrooy and bag 24 goals in a Premier League season simply through 'hit and hope'. 

On 09/12/2016 at 20:08, Col city fan said:

lol

Poor bloke!? I can tell you somewhere between 60 and 100k times per week he ain't poor.

He must be a very happy man I suspect. He'll have gotten a cut of his signing on fee and he's playing in a league that looks a level above him.

Poor bloke my arse.

I didn't mean poor as in skint. Do I have to explain this.

Edited by TheLittleBigMan

On 09/12/2016 at 20:08, Col city fan said:

lol

Poor bloke!? I can tell you somewhere between 60 and 100k times per week he ain't poor.

He must be a very happy man I suspect. He'll have gotten a cut of his signing on fee and he's playing in a league that looks a level above him.

Poor bloke my arse.

Do I have to explain this.

Some of the best players in the league have taken time to settle. Opinion so far though:

Negatives: 1st touch lets him down. This was the same with Vardy when he first came here though so that's not to say he can't sort it out.

Reaction time. The prem is a very, very quick league with not much time on the ball. I don't think he is used to that yet but it can come in time. He basically needs to do everything in one touch less. Mahrez one touch pass to Vardy from a 40 yard ball is a prime example. That touch was world class and not many players can do that but if it had been the Moose now he would have taken a touch to control it and we wouldn't have scored.

Confidence: Again this will come I think. Early on in the season I forget against who he had a great chance to score and seemed too scared not to lay it off to Vardy. All great players have to be a little selfish at times in front of goal.

Positives: Pace, Although I am not convinced he is as quick as he thinks he is or we thought he was, he is rapid. He may be fast over a longer distance but needs to work on explosive pace.

Finishing: We have seen he can finish. Again if his confidence increases he will probably score a lot more goals.

Basically he could be a great player for us. If he works on certain aspects of his game he could be deadly.

Overall opinion so far. Could go either way although I think he will be a great player for us personally. If his work ethic is good then we have the coaching staff to make him a great player. He will get a chance whilst others are away at AFCON. That is where him and Gray need to step up and give the Don a serious selection headache when the AFCON players return.

On 12/10/2016 at 19:16, Topman said:

I don't agree with that completely although I can understand why you say it. Okazaki is by far our best no 10. He is also a bit like Welbeck in that he is probably one of the best forwards in the league at winning the ball or breaking up a counter when we lose the ball up the pitch. Vardy is probably our most intelligent Striker (don't mean IQ) in terms of judging where the ball will go and forcing an error and Slimani is probably our most intelligent striker in terms of positioning to score in the box (This will be proven in time) To be fair to leo, Ulloa is probably our best at defending corners. All our Strikers bring something a bit different.

Edited by desertfox2
minor