Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Musa - Opinions so far

2 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

I don't agree with that completely although I can understand why you say it. Okazaki is by far our best no 10. He is also a bit like Welbeck in that he is probably one of the best forwards in the league at winning the ball or breaking up a counter when we lose the ball up the pitch. Vardy is probably our most intelligent Striker (don't mean IQ) in terms of judging where the ball will go and forcing an error and Slimani is probably our most intelligent striker in terms of positioning to score in the box (This will be proven in time) To be fair to leo, Ulloa is probably our best at defending corners. All our Strikers bring something a bit different.

How about Musa lol

Musa may be not ripping Premier League apart atm but I'm far from being disappointed with him. He needs more time, he's only started 5 games in the league so far and 2 in CL. It's hard to improve and stabilize your form when you play rarely.

I have a feeling he'll eventually turn out to be a decent signing. Perhaps 16 mil was a bit overpaid but let's face it, it isn't that much in today's football and champions have to pay additional money.

In comparison to Krams who perhaps is/was technically better, Musa seems to be more instinctive, doesn't complicate things in front of goal and I like that. And he looks like a team player which is always good. 

Actually I prefer to see him on the left wing (instead of Albrighton) than as a striker. Just feed the Moose more playing time and he'll deliver good performances, goals and assists. Way too soon to write him off after 645 minutes of game time (in all competitions)

Edited by Chester Dontlie

give Musa some game time on the wing to see what he can do, obviously Claudio needs to make sure he understands his defensive duties too. I know he prefers to play in Vardy's position but at least train him up to be on the wing and it will give us different options. if he shows commitment and watches the other forward players in training and learns from them i can see him becoming a great player for us. it's all about  the desire for him, when he gets his chance he needs to seize it and never let it go

Think Vardy is more hit and hope, when he shoots he doesn't lift his head up, just go for power rather than placement. Not taking away he has improved significantly since he has been with us

lol.

No. He knows where the goal is and knows how to put it in the back of the net. In my opinion he places the ball with power. Look at his third goal. Precision.

1 minute ago, Merging Cultures said:

lol.

No. He knows where the goal is and knows how to put it in the back of the net. In my opinion he places the ball with power. Look at his third goal. Precision.

he's a ridiculously good finished on the angle. can't think of many times he's taken it round the keeper and missed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merging Cultures said:

lol.

Don't think that goal got the praise it deserved, almost an impossible angle.

• Like 1

he's a ridiculously good finished on the angle. can't think of many times he's taken it round the keeper and missed.

Agreed.

Hit and hope is a guy on, or just in, the 18 yard box who smashes the ball hoping it will take a deflection or catch the goalie off guard.

Vardy seldom does this. He is all about getting the ball to feet and getting the goalie off his line so he can put the ball, with power, past the keeper.

Anyway back to Musa.

I've watched him play quite a bit. Same group as Zambia and Algeria, so I've been plenty interested.

He is rapid, which we know. He is also very effective when he cuts in and shoots from just outside the box, which we've seen him do. He can tear a defender in two.

He will come good for us.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah but Michael Owen said he's not a natural finisher so it must be true.

He's certainly not someone who does a side foot place and he does like to get his laces on the ball. But he knows exactly what he's doing and exactly where he's trying to put it. And as we've seen the last 18 months... he gets it there more often that not. If you keep doing it, at what point do people accept you know what you are doing, rather than just someone who smacks it with little thought?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He's certainly not someone who does a side foot place and he does like to get his laces on the ball. But he knows exactly what he's doing and exactly where he's trying to put it. And as we've seen the last 18 months... he gets it there more often that not. If you keep doing it, at what point do people accept you know what you are doing, rather than just someone who smacks it with little thought?

I think the point being made is by smacking it (of course you are aiming for a part of the goal it would be ridiculous for a footballer of any level not too) you lose control, his goal against Swansea for example could quite easily of hit the post and didn't need to be hit that hard. It's ok analyzing the goals he's scored after he has put a hat trick away the point is analyzing the 16 games prior to that when he hasn't scored a single goal and seeing where he goes wrong. 

I think there is merit and that criticism personally, although I'd personally question it as decision making as to not being a natural finisher I think his time with Phillips helped him no end and he is capable of picking his spot, first goal is actually the best example of that. Being a finisher is having the ability to beat the keeper with a shot not roll the ball into an empty net, we all know he can round goal keepers with the best of them. 

5 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I think the point being made is by smacking it (of course you are aiming for a part of the goal it would be ridiculous for a footballer of any level not too) you lose control, his goal against Swansea for example could quite easily of hit the post and didn't need to be hit that hard. It's ok analyzing the goals he's scored after he has put a hat trick away the point is analyzing the 16 games prior to that when he hasn't scored a single goal and seeing where he goes wrong. 

Maybe, but surely if it's a good point it requires a better example than a goal he did score. How many occasions has he been guilty of missing cos he hit it too hard? I can think of the (frankly irrelevant, and given the spat with the keeper, I think irreverent) penalty miss against Everton last year. Any more?

It's instructive to watch the full highlight reel of his goals from last year. They're all 'authentic' goals. Nearly all of them require considerable effort and/or ability to 'finish' them. No taps ins, nothing banjoed off his arse. I just can't understand the 'not a natural striker' comments from Owen. I wonder if the word he was looking for was more akin to 'classic' than 'natural'. 

23 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I think the point being made is by smacking it (of course you are aiming for a part of the goal it would be ridiculous for a footballer of any level not too) you lose control, his goal against Swansea for example could quite easily of hit the post and didn't need to be hit that hard.

It shouldn't really matter what your style is, if the ball regularly ends up where you wanted it to how can anyone say it's not natural. Kramaric is constantly mentioned still on here as being "natural", yet he just side footed it over the bar or did a subtle chip into the keepers hands most of the time. Who's more natural, the players whose shots go in or the one whose shots don't.

I get what Owen is saying, but he's really just lumping him in with the likes of Schlupp who has no control at all. He's better than that.

It's ok analyzing the goals he's scored after he has put a hat trick away the point is analyzing the 16 games prior to that when he hasn't scored a single goal and seeing where he goes wrong.

How many good chances do you think he's missed then? I've not really moaned about his finishing as for me it's been more a total lack of decent chances. He's had a few half chances, but not much.

I think there is merit and that criticism personally, although I'd personally question it as decision making as to not being a natural finisher I think his time with Phillips helped him no end and he is capable of picking his spot, first goal is actually the best example of that. Being a finisher is having the ability to beat the keeper with a shot not roll the ball into an empty net, we all know he can round goal keepers with the best of them. 

I was going to mention Phillips earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a massive help in terms of his decision making and the types of shot he went for.

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It shouldn't really matter what your style is, if the ball regularly ends up where you wanted it to how can anyone say it's not natural. Kramaric is constantly mentioned still on here as being "natural", yet he just side footed it over the bar or did a subtle chip into the keepers hands most of the time. Who's more natural, the players whose shots go in or the one whose shots don't.

I get what Owen is saying, but he's really just lumping him in with the likes of Schlupp who has no control at all. He's better than that.

How many good chances do you think he's missed then? I've not really moaned about his finishing as for me it's been more a total lack of decent chances. He's had a few half chances, but not much.

I was going to mention Phillips earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a massive help in terms of his decision making and the types of shot he went for.

He misses, frequently, there just a lot less memorable than the goals. Can give you examples just using the first game of the season if you want Hull away.

Before I start I am well aware all strikers miss good chances before anyone says that lol 

He air kicked the ball about 15 yards out with a lot of time

He whacked it straight into a centre half 8 years out with keeper stranded.  

He then ran onto a ball from Musa about 7 yards out and creamed it about 20 yards over the bar as he tried to break the net.

That's where I think a lot of you are going wrong, he's really not, he's not even saying he's not a good finisher just, a natural finisher finishes goals in a variety of different way with both feet and head without having to think about it which Vardy is capable of imo that's where I disagree with Owen, but sometimes he does just reverts to lacing it as hard as he can at one corner of the goal which while it sometimes works and is sometimes the right thing to do is what anyone playing football normally does.

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He misses, frequently, there just a lot less memorable than the goals. Can give you examples just using the first game of the season if you want Hull away.

And since the Hull game? That's the only game I had in mind where he'd been really poor and missed some very good chances.

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

That's where I think a lot of you are going wrong, he's really not, he's not even saying he's not a good finisher just, a natural finisher finishes goals in a variety of different way with both feet and head without having to think about it which Vardy is capable of imo that's where I disagree with Owen, but sometimes he does just reverts to lacing it as hard as he can at one corner of the goal which while it sometimes works and is sometimes the right thing to do is what anyone playing football normally does.

"He's the type of centre forward or type of finisher that is very much head down and hit it. He goes for power a lot. He's not necessarily a real cute, classy type of finisher.

"He doesn't once lift his head. He almost hits it through goalkeepers. To be a finisher like that you need a lot of luck – sometimes you'll have it, sometimes you won't."

"But then again Alan Shearer used a lot of brute force and power. He was a different type – not everyone finishes the same way.

The actual quote from Owen, he actually seems to question himself at the end.

You can't just look at Vardy's record and say "sixteen games without a goal, he's a shit finisher."

How many clear cut chances did he miss in that time? Small handful maybe that you could put down to confidence or trying too hard which would be the case regardless of his technique.

But mostly he just wasn't getting a great deal of service and spent most of his time out in wide channels.

Last year he almost won the golden boot despite playing for a team that surrendered the advantage in most games and didn't create swarms of chances. He and we were clinical when it mattered. To that end, I really don't think anyone is in any position to question that Vardy is a pretty tidy finisher without making themselves look a complete twat.

• Like 1