Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Massive win against West Ham

4 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

What games do Atletico have before they play us, they would want to ensure their champions league place so have it all to play for... hope Sevilla win 

They play Real Madrid 3 days before they play us in the first leg.

8 minutes ago, lcfcfoz said:

Thought it was 4 days, they play sat we play Sunday against Everton and we got 3 days before the game they got 4?

You're right. They play Real on the 8th and play us on the 12th.

17 minutes ago, Koke said:

You're right. They play Real on the 8th and play us on the 12th.

we have to play on the Sunday as well because it's Grand National on Saturday and games are always moved because of this. 

5 hours ago, maddog said:

Everton are on form so that away game is probably a loss even with our first choice side.

I'd play all the reserves at Everton and then see how the table looks and the state of play after the first leg.

We need everyone 1000% fit for 90 minutes of slogging in Madrid to stay in the tie for the home leg. 

We are a Leicester man Dilly Ding Dilly Dong we can beat anyone. 

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

At our best we can beat anyone so why someone would claim a loss I don't know... 

Exactly mate. I don't care who it is we've clearly shown we can beat anyone in this league if we really want to. 

2 minutes ago, Aeropars said:

Is that right? Any idea why that is? 

Isn't it obvious ?

although they sometimes move the lpool/Everton fixture to sat noon to avoid the clash as the national is around 4pm. It was an option to swap with the Saturday sky fixture but can you imagine the fall out from Jose if that happened !! 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Isn't it obvious ?

although they sometimes move the lpool/Everton fixture to sat noon to avoid the clash as the national is around 4pm. It was an option to swap with the Saturday sky fixture but can you imagine the fall out from Jose if that happened !! 

No idea. I don't follow horse racing in the slightest! Perhaps obvious to those who do.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don't follow Russian politics but I know it's probably tough to get a tour of the kremlin on May Day 

In didn't realise tours of the Kremlin would have an influence on premiere league fixtures.

Besides, you follow it to some extent. You know what the Kremlin is. Don't try and be a smart arse. I asked an honest question. You want to to be petty and cause an argument? Go speak to your wife.

1 hour ago, Aeropars said:

Is that right? Any idea why that is? 

Probably because of the sheer volume of footfall and traffic the Grand National would cause. It's simpler to move a football game than the horse racing. I think about 75000 people go to the Grand National and the date is set well in advance (at least a year). 

5 minutes ago, Aeropars said:

In didn't realise tours of the Kremlin would have an influence on premiere league fixtures.

Besides, you follow it to some extent. You know what the Kremlin is. Don't try and be a smart arse. I asked an honest question. You want to to be petty and cause an argument? Go speak to your wife.

Too easy

anyway, Stan has done you the favour of saving you the onerous task of googling it and finding out for yourself 

You can always block me if you think I'm rude. I thought I was quite amusing. 

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Too easy

anyway, Stan has done you the favour of saving you the onerous task of googling it and finding out for yourself 

You can always block me if you think I'm rude. I thought I was quite amusing. 

Rude, yes. Amusing, not in the slightest. 

Based on your logic all questions should be banned because Google is god. 

I think you need to get out more... or get "in" more.... i'll leave that to your choice.

7 hours ago, maddog said:

Everton are on form so that away game is probably a loss even with our first choice side.

I'd play all the reserves at Everton and then see how the table looks and the state of play after the first leg.

We need everyone 1000% fit for 90 minutes of slogging in Madrid to stay in the tie for the home leg. 

It's not the way I read it. Everton is no more a pre-determined loss than Liverpool, Sevilla or Athletico Madrid. Indeed, if our club starts pencilling in assumed defeats on their fixture list they might as well resign from the league and reform as a cross country walking club.

We won two matches before Sevilla....Liverpool and Hull. And after we sapped all our strength in beating Sevilla, we breathed in deep, restored our resolve and beat West Ham away as well.

Start playing reserve teams or unfamiliar groups and you invite trouble and the loss of all the momentum you've gained through winning game after game.

We had quite enough of Ranieri playing Tinkerman with our style and personnel without encouraging it in Shakespeare.

If Shaky can motivate our shattered team to beat Sevilla, I'm quite sure he can do the same against Stoke, Sunderland and Everton without in any way compromising our performance, or desire, to beat Athletico or Palace for that matter.

There's three constant "givens" concerning professional footballers. They don't like losing, they don't like being dropped and they sure don't like their team losing as a result of anyone being unnecessarily dropped, including themselves.

So why create problems which have no need to exist? If we keep winning, the team should select itself barring injuries. As I've said countless times - one game at a time, and the best available team plays....every time.

are we seriously saying that we  wouldn't rest players before the Madrid away leg ?  If we get four points from the next two fixtures then I would consider the manager to be negligent for not giving some of the boys a break on the sunday.  Look at the last thirty yesterday. The players are not the best judge  of what's is best for them as they will always want to play. we have a good enough squad to get a result at Everton with a few rested. We won there in the cup with a 'weakened ' team. It's going to take a super human effort to get through the Madrid tie and I suggest if we were to manage it, our fitness would be mainly responsible. 

We play midweek throughout April and I would rather play a stronger side at palace than Everton as avoiding defeat at selhurst is a higher priority than at goodison.  

30 minutes ago, Thracian said:

It's not the way I read it. Everton is no more a pre-determined loss than Liverpool, Sevilla or Athletico Madrid. Indeed, if our club starts pencilling in assumed defeats on their fixture list they might as well resign from the league and reform as a cross country walking club.

We won two matches before Sevilla....Liverpool and Hull. And after we sapped all our strength in beating Sevilla, we breathed in deep, restored our resolve and beat West Ham away as well.

Start playing reserve teams or unfamiliar groups and you invite trouble and the loss of all the momentum you've gained through winning game after game.

We had quite enough of Ranieri playing Tinkerman with our style and personnel without encouraging it in Shakespeare.

If Shaky can motivate our shattered team to beat Sevilla, I'm quite sure he can do the same against Stoke, Sunderland and Everton without in any way compromising our performance, or desire, to beat Athletico or Palace for that matter.

There's three constant "givens" concerning professional footballers. They don't like losing, they don't like being dropped and they sure don't like their team losing as a result of anyone being unnecessarily dropped, including themselves.

So why create problems which have no need to exist? If we keep winning, the team should select itself barring injuries. As I've said countless times - one game at a time, and the best available team plays....every time.

I completely agree and this is an excellent post which has made me change my mind from what I said earlier.

I would still play Zieler at Everton because I would be genuinely frightened that Kasper could get injured pre Atletico.

Its a credit to Kasper and his excellent form that he's my number one to get us through the Champions League again. I wouldn't be risking Kasper for the Everton game regardless of the state of play.

34 minutes ago, Thracian said:

I don't agree with this in the slightest, according to many an opinion one of the reasons we won the league was because we were able to play one game a week.

We play six games in eighteen days, that's a game every three days. If we get wins against Stoke and Sunderland to get to 36pts I think Shakey would be irresponsible not prioritising the Champions League but flog the players by expecting them to play twice a week. You only had to watch the last half hour against West Ham to see the players were running on empty.

I think the vast majority of people think footballers perform better when they play once a week and have longer recovery time between games. If you think it doesn't effect players performances at all playing every three days then I can see why you would have that opinion but if you think there is as much as just a 1% drop off in performance and energy levels then it would be a highly stupid decision not to give ourselves the best chance of qualifying if we had 36pts after 30 league games.

Archived