Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

I would have thought they'd reverse the incoming benefit cuts which will affect the working poor very significantly. I'm pretty sure they've spoken of doing this before. 

I believe they are committed to abolishing the Bedroom Tax.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Are they swapping it for the window tax that Gordon Brown wanted to reintroduce?

I had to Google that..

Absolutely bonkers.

Just looked it up too. Didn't realise it was a real tax until the mid 19th century and the origin of the saying 'daylight robbery'. 

Guest MattP

Labour promising 10,000 extra police officers.

Diana Abbott on ITV in five minutes to explain the costings.

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

Labour promising 10,000 extra police officers.

Diana Abbott on ITV in five minutes to explain the costings.

Community officers. You're looking at £300m a year, tops.

Guest MattP
9 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I just wish they would get the manifesto out, the capital gains tax money has already been spent on reversing welfare cuts and the arts by McDonnell last year.

The interview was a farce, ten times she was asked about nuclear weapons and every time she didn't give a straight answer.

Boyzone came on the set after, still laughing at it and then openly came out for Donald Trump, to say it was a weird ten minutes of television is an understatement. 

Guest MattP

Just almost fell off my chair laughing at Diane Abbott trying to explain this policy, how this woman has got to the position of shadow home secretary will baffle future historians.

She's managed to make Natalie Bennett actually look competent when it comes to costed policy.

Listen and weep here.....

https://order-order.com/2017/05/02/diane-abbott-police-numbers-car-crash/

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Labour have actually been really good and done some good work in the campaign so far.

Abbott has just destroyed it all.  She is awful.

It's the funniest political interview I have heard, at one point she is paying the police less than 2p an hour.

I said the other day Labour had hid the idiots well, I actually thought they might have learnt.

The Tories need to make it very loud and clear that if Jeremy Corbyn wins the election this woman would be in charge of immigration, policing and MI5.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It's the funniest political interview I have heard, at one point she is paying the police less than 2p an hour.

I said the other day Labour had hid the idiots well, I actually thought they might have learnt.

The Tories need to make it very loud and clear that if Jeremy Corbyn wins the election this woman would be in charge of immigration, policing and MI5.

Despite disageeing with you on pretty much everything else, it is true that the appointment on abbott was a huge own goal. Similar to making Boris Foreign Secretary.

Guest MattP

She's now going on the Daily Politics at 12 to clarify the policy.

Shame it's Tuesday and no Andrew Neil but it should still be funny. 

What strikes me about it is they still don't seem to realise the 1st question they are going to be asked on new policy is how it's going to be paid for, it's clear no one inside the shadow cabinet is actually bothered about it, they may as well just promise a million new policemen and women.

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

I think it's a little short, that's £30,000 a head to cover wages, uniforms, patrol vehicles, training, infrastructure and biscuits. Got to be nearer double on custard creams :P 

Guest MattP

For who hasn't or can't listen to it here's the rundown....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/02/labours-police-promise-tatters-diane-abbott-suggests-officers/

Labour's police promise in tatters as Diane Abbott suggests officers would earn £30 a year 

Labour's promise to put 10,000 additional police on the streets was in tatters this morning after Diane Abbott struggled to explain how the party would fund the policy.

The shadow home secretary initially suggested that Labour would hire 10,000 officers for £300,000, which would would have left officers earning £30 a year.

Ms Abbott's assessment of how many new officers would be recruited in one year ranged from 25,000 to 250,000.

When asked how much the policy would cost, Ms Abbott told LBC Radio: "Well, erm... if we recruit the 10,000 policemen and women over a four-year period, we believe it will be about £300,000.

Ms Abbott tried to clarify: "Haha, no. I mean... sorry. They will cost... they will, it will cost, erm, about... about £80million."

However, £80 million would still only give each policeman an annual salary of £8,000.

Pausing and stumbling repeatedly through the awkward exchanges with LBC's Nick Ferrari, he said: "About £80 million? How do you get to that figure?"

Ms Abbott answered: "We get to that figure because we anticipate recruiting 25,000 extra police officers a year at least over a period of four years.

"And we are looking at both what average police wages are generally but also specifically police wages in London."

When queried the figure of 250,000 policemen, Ms Abbott responded: "And women."

Challenged on the figure again, she said: "No, we are recruiting two thousand and - perhaps - two hundred and fifty."

Ferrari asked: "So where did 250,000 come from? To which Ms Abbott responded: "I think you said that, not me."

He replied: "I can assure you you said that, because I wrote it down."

Nick Ferrari: So how much would 10,000 police officers cost?

Diane Abbott: Well, if we recruit the 10,000 policemen and women over a four year period, we believe it’ll be about £300,000.

Nick Ferrari: £300,000?

Diane Abbott: Sorry, ... (Interrupted)

Nick Ferrari: 10,000 police officers? What are you paying them?

Diane Abbott: No, I mean, sorry ... (Interrupted)

Nick Ferrari: How much will they cost.

Diane Abbott: They will cost [long pause], it will cost, erm, about, about £80m.

Nick Ferrari: The £80m is the figure we use. But I don’t understand. If you divide £80m by 10,000, you get 8000.

Diane Abbott: What ... (Interrupted)

Nick Ferrari: Is that what you’re going to pay these policemen and women?

Diane Abbott: No, we’re talking about a process over 4 years.

Nick Ferrari: I don’t understand. What is he or she? £80m divided by 10,000 equals £8000. So I don’t, what are these police officers going to be paid?

[papers rustle]

Diane Abbott: We will be paying them the average ... (Interrupted)

Nick Ferrari: Has this been thought through?

Diane Abbott: Of course it’s been thought through!

Nick Ferrari: Where are the figures?

Diane Abbott: The figures are that the, the additional cost in year 1 when we anticipate recruiting 250,000 policemen will be £64.3m

Nick Ferrari: 250,000 policemen?

Diane Abbott: And women.

Nick Ferrari: Right. Where…? So you’re getting more than 10,000? You’re recruiting 250,000?

Diane Abbott: No, we are recruiting 2000 and perhaps 250. And the cost ... (Interrupted)

Nick Ferrari: Where did 250,000 come from?

Diane Abbott: I think you said that not me.

Nick Ferrari: I can assure you - you said that figure because I wrote it down.

Diane Abbott: What I’m saying about the cost is in year 1 obviously we’re getting ready to recruit, but in year 2 the cost will be £64.3m, in year 3 the cost will be £139.1m, year 4 the cost will be £270m, and year 5 the cost will be £298m, and that can be amply covered by reversing the cuts in capital gains tax.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Just almost fell off my chair laughing at Diane Abbott trying to explain this policy, how this woman has got to the position of shadow home secretary will baffle future historians.

She's managed to make Natalie Bennett actually look competent when it comes to costed policy.

Listen and weep here.....

https://order-order.com/2017/05/02/diane-abbott-police-numbers-car-crash/

You could actually hear her in the background rummaging through the paperwork trying to find the right numbers.

That was quite difficult to listen to and completely cringeworthy. 

She'd have been better off saying nothing at all rather than making it up on the spot. What are her advisors doing letting her go on the radio so uniformed and ill prepared? 

Totally amateur and quite frankly embarrassing....

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think it's a little short, that's £30,000 a head to cover wages, uniforms, patrol vehicles, training, infrastructure and biscuits. Got to be nearer double on custard creams :P 

This isn't America, Strokes..

59085e07d77d4_Wiggumdonuts.png.1df39b8f1f377374289ef40cc31c7b16.png

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You could actually hear her in the background rummaging through the paperwork trying to find the right numbers.

She'd have been better off saying nothing at all rather than making it up on the spot. What are her advisors doing letting her go on the radio so uniformed and ill prepared? 

Even when she finally found the right piece of paper it came to just under 30k per person.

A police officer in London costs £66,000 according to the official figures.

The Tories don't need to do anything in this election but hide. Labour hasn't unleashed Eddie Izzard yet.

5 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Why would you insult amateurs like that?

She is worse than embarrassing - she has achieved the impossible by making Donald Trump look competent by comparison.

21 minutes ago, Watson said:

She is ****ing horrific. Beyond a joke how she is anywhere near the shadow cabinet

Beyond a joke she's ever been elected to parliament.

Guest MattP

This is absolutely hilarious, I can barely watch, they are making her sit through it on the Daily Politics. Now trying to claim she knew her figures and the media are at fault for not wanting to talk about "the real issues" lol

Apparantly the public who listened to the interview will have realised she did know her figures.

Archived