Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

21 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Tbf the way I've written my comments doesn't help. I was trying to explain that a deficit isn't the end of the world, not advocating that we repay 1.5tril through money creation. It should be noted that the deficit was 40% throughout the labour years until the crash and it is that crash which produced the huge deficit. The uk economy grew at 3.1% in the last year of the labour government, despite the huge turmoil at the time, and hasn't grown as quickly at any point since due to the slash and burn policies of the tories.

But it has grown never the less, what the labour government may have done could have had us in another recession or maybe a bit more growth. We will never know but we do know, we are steady so far under the conservatives. Strong and stable ;)lol

7 hours ago, Strokes said:

But it has grown never the less, what the labour government may have done could have had us in another recession or maybe a bit more growth. We will never know but we do know, we are steady so far under the conservatives. Strong and stable ;)lol

If that's the only thing the government can claim to have going for it then that's a pretty sad inditement of its 7 years in power. 

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Where did I say that? Prat!

Tbf where did he say you'd said that that's the only the this government has going for it after 7 years?

As much as it pains me, I think I'm voting Tory. I looked at the manifestos so far, and there's is the only one that has any relevance to me- there is absolutely no point voting Lib Dem; and Labour are very much aiming for people (just) below my social strata. I'm not poor, but am strugglong; and own everything I have. No loans, mortgage or renting. If I was made unemployed tomorrow, there would be very little help available to me despite me having paid 1/3 of my wages in tax/NI  and pension for most of my life.

3 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

As much as it pains me, I think I'm voting Tory. I looked at the manifestos so far, and there's is the only one that has any relevance to me- there is absolutely no point voting Lib Dem; and Labour are very much aiming for people (just) below my social strata. I'm not poor, but am strugglong; and own everything I have. No loans, mortgage or renting. If I was made unemployed tomorrow, there would be very little help available to me despite me having paid 1/3 of my wages in tax/NI  and pension for most of my life.

Out of curiosity what in the manifestos so far has swayed you that way?

Does it matter who Labour are aiming at if you prefer their policies? If you were made unemployed tomorrow (god forbid) what is it in the Conservative policies that would help you?

Of course you don't have to answer any of that I'm just curious about why people vote in what would seem by your initial sentence to be against their generally preferred party 

11 minutes ago, Emilio Lestavez said:

Out of curiosity what in the manifestos so far has swayed you that way?

Does it matter who Labour are aiming at if you prefer their policies? If you were made unemployed tomorrow (god forbid) what is it in the Conservative policies that would help you?

Of course you don't have to answer any of that I'm just curious about why people vote in what would seem by your initial sentence to be against their generally preferred party 

I am fully aware that the manifestos are not yet fully formed. 

There is nothing in either manifesto so far to sway me properly except more B Hols for Labour (very much doubt it will happen though as they won't get in).

Basically, our while political system is flawed- it should be proportional representation, and that way every vote would really count.

I am currently better off under the Tories than I was under Labour, hence why they have my vote.... For now

10 hours ago, toddybad said:

Tbf the way I've written my comments doesn't help. I was trying to explain that a deficit isn't the end of the world, not advocating that we repay 1.5tril through money creation. It should be noted that the deficit was 40% throughout the labour years until the crash and it is that crash which produced the huge deficit. The uk economy grew at 3.1% in the last year of the labour government, despite the huge turmoil at the time, and hasn't grown as quickly at any point since due to the slash and burn policies of the tories.

I've spoken to academics who share the same view and believe it could have happened. I don't know enough about the 'mechanisms' they'd have to go through having not studied banking in extensive detail, although having studied law I can't imagine it would have been impossible to get around

Guest MattP
32 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I am fully aware that the manifestos are not yet fully formed. 

There is nothing in either manifesto so far to sway me properly except more B Hols for Labour (very much doubt it will happen though as they won't get in).

Basically, our while political system is flawed- it should be proportional representation, and that way every vote would really count.

I am currently better off under the Tories than I was under Labour, hence why they have my vote.... For now

I don't like doing project fear but if anyone is seriously considering voting Labour on this I'd at least asked a few questions on what your employer thinks about it and whether they have the capacity to handle it.

I spoke to a local businessman last week (fairly large company that has had financial problems) and he says that policy would result in a few redundacies at best to make up for the lack of output for four days.

Surely most of what is happening in the economy/ financial markets is based on fear of what might happen with Brexit considering we haven't agreed to anything yet.

As far as Bank Holidays are concerned, although it's widely assumed differently, there is no statutory right to them, nor enhanced pay or day off in lieu if they are given, plus your employer can insist that they are taken as part of your annual holiday entitlement.

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

As far as Bank Holidays are concerned, although it's widely assumed differently, there is no statutory right to them, nor enhanced pay or day off in lieu if they are given, plus your employer can insist that they are taken as part of your annual holiday entitlement.

That would make it even worse! It would four extra days off my entitlement, the kids would be off school, so either suck it up or pay child care. Cheers jezza.

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

I get time off in lieu, and would probably be obliged to work one of them- so not as good as it seems anyway.

2 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I get time off in lieu, and would probably be obliged to work one of them- so not as good as it seems anyway.

Many (most?) employers do have them written into their contract of employment, pay enhanced rates, give time off in lieu, but it isn't a statory requirement.

Guest MattP
36 minutes ago, Buce said:

Surely Corbyn would enshrine into law that you would have a statutory right to them, after all it's going to all be power to the workers isn't it?

Otherwise what's the point of the policy?

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Surely Corbyn would enshrine into law that you would have a statutory right to them, after all it's going to all be power to the workers isn't it?

The Employment Act (I think) dates back to the early seventies, so successive govts of both hues have failed to enshrine it in Law. I guess it's not seen as necessary because most employers honour the convention.

I just mentioned it as an FYI.

54 minutes ago, MattP said:

There isn't really a lot of point in Labour spending money on campaigning this time around. I would wait another 5 years when we have all had enough of Post Brexit UK and need a change.

3 hours ago, filthyfox said:

If the main concern you have is about the safety net available if things fell apart, surely voting for the party that is demolishing that safety net doesn't make sense? 

17 minutes ago, toddybad said:

If the main concern you have is about the safety net available if things fell apart, surely voting for the party that is demolishing that safety net doesn't make sense? 

I think his point is, he is less likely to need that safety net.

Guest MattP
45 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Labour us going to commit to a big increase in welfare spending then?

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Labour us going to commit to a big increase in welfare spending then?

I would have thought they'd reverse the incoming benefit cuts which will affect the working poor very significantly. I'm pretty sure they've spoken of doing this before. 

Archived