Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Buying Music & Subscribing to Music Streaming Services

Used Spotify, Apple Music & Microsoft Groove.

I'd say Apple music is the best out of these 3 due to the easy integration with the stock music app, all have very similar libraries. 

Apple Music has a pretty long free trial (3 months) but is more expensive than other streaming services after that. 

15 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I have Spotify and I love it, Release Radar keeps me in the loop with anything new I might have missed every Friday and I've discovered loads of stuff through related artists etc. For £9.99 it's fantastic really.

I still buy records, mind - both have their merits don't they?

I use Release Radar as well.

Also 'Discover Weekly' and 'All New, All Now'. The latter one very similar to Release Radar though.

9 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Excuse my ignorance but I assume you can actually download the music you buy from these streaming sites?  So you're not effectively renting the music?

Well, you can download them, but you lose it when you stop paying, so you are indeed renting access.  With apple music you can only download to a connected device, ie not an iPod shuffle as it needs to be able to verify your account.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well, you can download them, but you lose it when you stop paying, so you are indeed renting access.  With apple music you can only download to a connected device, ie not an iPod shuffle as it needs to be able to verify your account.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm currently downsizing.  My jukebox has been sold.  I'm keeping my vinyl but limiting them to my absolute favourites (think John Peels Record box)....I'm thinking of getting a digital jukebox...yeah I know....but I like the idea of having my albums on CD, singles on Vinyl, and digital music on a small table top jukebox.

Well, since starting this thread, we got free access to spotify premium for 12 months through a vodafone offer for a sim only deal.....

Have been like what I could only describe as a pensioner finding the internet for the first time....

The breadth of music and music sharing between mates and messages has brought me back in touch with contemporary music and old school sessions of differing genres and its all instant - love it and aided by SONOS which is great too...

Thanks for peoples contributions its a game changer! 

Spotify is great, but it's sad how music has changed. 

Music trends have disappeared, and the work of art that was an LP or CD has also almost gone.

Music is now throwaway and the value of it has diminished and so has the quality.

There isn't any money in it these days so there will be less quality music about as people choose to do other things. 

Kasabian as as an example would have been absolutely minted years ago, and there were massive incentives for bands to carry on and create. Nowadays though the money is not there so less music will be made. 

So so it's a shame how it's gone, but Spotify is an excellent way of listening to music in the modern day

1 minute ago, Rob1742 said:

Music is now throwaway and the value of it has diminished and so has the quality.

I think that's rubbish and a complete throwaway line, personally. There is more music about, it's more accessible and by virtue of that there will be plenty of guff, granted - but it also means that there's plenty of absolutely brilliant stuff too.

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think that's rubbish and a complete throwaway line, personally. There is more music about, it's more accessible and by virtue of that there will be plenty of guff, granted - but it also means that there's plenty of absolutely brilliant stuff too.

I am just quoting a guitarist from a band that made about a dozen albums. He quit and said "why should I make the effort for no reward these days"

He also mentioned that the CD or LP was held as high value by the purchaser so you would listen intently to it and take it all in. Nowadays people can't be bothered as much as it's easy to just move on (Spotify is a good example of how easy it is)

So I tend to agree. I still think there is lots of music out there, but the incentive isn't there like it used to be. 

The money is there only if you can sell out arenas. 

On 5/22/2017 at 21:24, Rob1742 said:

Spotify is great, but it's sad how music has changed. 

Music trends have disappeared, and the work of art that was an LP or CD has also almost gone.

There isn't any money in it these days so there will be less quality music about as people choose to do other things. 

Kasabian as as an example would have been absolutely minted years ago, and there were massive incentives for bands to carry on and create. Nowadays though the money is not there so less music will be made. 

So so it's a shame how it's gone, but Spotify is an excellent way of listening to music in the modern day

There's so many distractions and easy access to every sort of media and entertainment, that it's nearly impossible to enjoy music they we used to. Back in the day you gave serious thought to music you were listening to. 

I like the convenience of modern music and the affordability of it. But saving up your money, and heading to the shops each week and not actually hearing the damn thing til you got back home - was a much richer experience than it is sitting in your pajamas, clicking through 2000 songs whilst intagramming and watching youtube etc etc...

2 hours ago, winchesterton said:

There's so many distractions and easy access to every sort of media and entertainment, that it's nearly impossible to enjoy music they we used to. Back in the day you gave serious thought to music you were listening to. 

I like the convenience of modern music and the affordability of it. But saving up your money, and heading to the shops each week and not actually hearing the damn thing til you got back home - was a much richer experience than it is sitting in your pajamas, clicking through 2000 songs whilst intagramming and watching youtube etc etc...

Surely though, this isn't down to the quality of what you're listnening to, but how you choose to listen to it?

Archived