Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Buying Music & Subscribing to Music Streaming Services

So.

I'm a novice here I've been through iterations of music ownership, I don't want to spend any more cash with apple particularly (unless thats the best way to go in terms of apple music etc) and I'm fed up with having different music on differing iTunes accounts in the household. I also am not listening to music enough in my life anymore and want to change that and have recently invested in some SONOS kit in the house.

Is Spotify the way forward? If so do I just buy the family deal and pay a monthly subscription? Is the world changing again and are there other platforms I should be considering?

What does everybody else do these days?

Cheers,

SL

I use Spotify and it's perfect.

I've got the Premium subscription so don't have to listen to adds and I think it allows me to listen on/connect to various devices.

I also find it the best way to find new music or new bands. I have iTunes but don't use it at all any more. haven't touched it in about a year now!

Spotify is great, personally prefer it to Apple Music. It's good for finding new music, great if you have random impulses on what to listen to, good if you don't know what to listen to cos there are a ton of playlists you can search through. Paying for Premium is worth it too imo. Also it works well with Sonos. I've got a Sonos set up in the lounge at uni, albeit its limited to 2 play 1 speakers in either corner, but I can already see the merits of kitting your house out in Sonos and it works seamlessly with Spotify. I've increased my music consumption massively, it's rare that they are off. Sonos has 30 or services that are compatible, some free, some paid. Might be worth looking through them all, I use Mixcloud regularly, Soundcloud a bit, Amazon Music sometimes but you have to Prime, TuneIn Radio, and audiobooks.

Same as others have said, I have Spotify premium and it is near perfect. The only downside is sometimes forgetting a band or album because you don't have the physical copy to remind you but other than that it is definitely the way forward.

Not much to add as everybody has already nailed it but another vote for Spotify premium here, absolute limitless supply of everything you need and even if you get a bit sick of your own playlists and albums just choose from one of the thousands that Spotify put together depending on your mood.

I've never used spotify so i dont know how it works, but i've never had any problems with Google Play Music. £9.99 a month and can be used on any devise, just have to log into my gmail account to use it. Unlimited downloads and streaming.

That being said, i still prefer good old CD's. Still buy them when any of my favourite bands release new albums.

15 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I've never used spotify so i dont know how it works, but i've never had any problems with Google Play Music. £9.99 a month and can be used on any devise, just have to log into my gmail account to use it. Unlimited downloads and streaming.

That being said, i still prefer good old CD's. Still buy them when any of my favourite bands release new albums.

I prefer buying records too never really understood why people don't want the physical format just seems like a rip off to me, but having recently started using Spotify it's a great way to check out future purchases.

Hate the spotify interface but like a lot of things about about spotify itself, not enough to use it though. Having Apple products makes Apple music the most logical and seamless choice for me. Apple also has a lot of great exclusives that appeal to me. 

53 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I prefer buying records too never really understood why people don't want the physical format just seems like a rip off to me, but having recently started using Spotify it's a great way to check out future purchases.

A rip off is paying £10 for a single album, when you can have them all on Spotify at the same time for only £10 a month.

I understand why people like physical copies. But if you cannot understand why people do not want physical copies in 2017, then you're an ostrich.

Each to their own, though.

50 minutes ago, Adster said:

A rip off is paying £10 for a single album, when you can have them all on Spotify at the same time for only £10 a month.

I understand why people like physical copies. But if you cannot understand why people do not want physical copies in 2017, then you're an ostrich.

Each to their own, though.

A rip off in the sense you buying something you can't hold, that's one of the joys of music for me.

And I pay nowhere near £10 for an album.

If I hadn't grown up with the love of buying music then maybe owning digital music would appeal, but it really doesn't in any sense. There's no joy for me just downloading an album on a computer.

And then there's the sound quality....but that opens a whole can of worms so probably not best to open it.

p.s. I'm not knocking streaming services they're great way to listen to music and I'm sure loads of people then go out and buy the album, probably why vinyl sales have been going up for a decade.

11 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

A rip off in the sense you buying something you can't hold, that's one of the joys of music for me.

And I pay nowhere near £10 for an album.

If I hadn't grown up with the love of buying music then maybe owning digital music would appeal, but it really doesn't in any sense. There's no joy for me just downloading an album on a computer.

And then there's the sound quality....but that opens a whole can of worms so probably not best to open it.

p.s. I'm not knocking streaming services they're great way to listen to music and I'm sure loads of people then go out and buy the album, probably why vinyl sales have been going up for a decade.

I totally understand where you're coming from, if you like having physical copies that is totally fine. A lot of people are not bothered at all about it though as most people stream music via their phone, car (Bluetooth/AUX from phone). If it's more practical for you to physically put a CD into a CD player or a Vinyl on a Vinyl player then fair enough. But I think it's really easily to understand why people do not want physical copies. It's a convenience thing for most.

I don't really know how much an album costs (as I don't buy physical copies :D) I'm only going off what shit modern artists new albums cost. My partner bought Adele's new album and it cost £10.

It sounds like you probably have a whole room full of Vinyls/CD's etc! I can see why that's appealing but I'm, like most people my age (probably..) are happy to store all music digitally.

48 minutes ago, Adster said:

I totally understand where you're coming from, if you like having physical copies that is totally fine. A lot of people are not bothered at all about it though as most people stream music via their phone, car (Bluetooth/AUX from phone). If it's more practical for you to physically put a CD into a CD player or a Vinyl on a Vinyl player then fair enough. But I think it's really easily to understand why people do not want physical copies. It's a convenience thing for most.

I don't really know how much an album costs (as I don't buy physical copies :D) I'm only going off what shit modern artists new albums cost. My partner bought Adele's new album and it cost £10.

It sounds like you probably have a whole room full of Vinyls/CD's etc! I can see why that's appealing but I'm, like most people my age (probably..) are happy to store all music digitally.

I do. :D

We like what we like, it's all good.:thumbup:

A few years ago all my music corrupted on my computer/external hard drive, alot I still had the CD's (Most of which were scratched, damaged themselves), alot I didn't have though, was so pissed off, so much money and time wasted.

I was late to the streaming option regards Spotify, e.t.c but when Apple Music launched I decided to give it a go and I love it, last time I bought and album it was around £9.99+...I can listen and download whatever I want as many times as I want for £9.99 a month, bargain.

I do like physically owning an album though and if it's a band/album I really like I will go out and buy it, but I genuinely can't remember that last time I did that!

I  have one Spotify premium account that I share with my girlfriend, you don't need to get the family subscription but it can be annoying if you are both listening online at the same time, normally we save playlists/albums and listen in offline mode. Mostly  use it to listen to old stuff or before going to a festival to check out new bands.

I would prefer buying more physical albums but we don't have space at the moment, as soon as we move then I'll get back to buying more physical music, I miss trawling through cd/record fairs for hidden gems, when it is all at your finger tips you lose the joy of discovery and the investment in an album.

In the past: Read about band/album, save up pocket money, look for it in HMV, Rockaboom, Our Price, Tower records, Virgin, finally find it in the second hand section at the Left Legged Pineapple, buy it, get home, listen to it, feel slightly disappointed that it isn't the best album ever, persevere as you spent  your hard earned money on it, keep it on rotation for a week until you start to appreciate it for the masterpiece it is, love it, cherish it, forget about it, find it in a box in your parent's attic  years later, dust it off and play it again and feel the floods of nostalgia wash over you.

Nowadays: Hear of a band, find it on spotify, listen to it, go 'Meh', then put something else on.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I  have one Spotify premium account that I share with my girlfriend, you don't need to get the family subscription but it can be annoying if you are both listening online at the same time, normally we save playlists/albums and listen in offline mode. Mostly  use it to listen to old stuff or before going to a festival to check out new bands.

I would prefer buying more physical albums but we don't have space at the moment, as soon as we move then I'll get back to buying more physical music, I miss trawling through cd/record fairs for hidden gems, when it is all at your finger tips you lose the joy of discovery and the investment in an album.

In the past: Read about band/album, save up pocket money, look for it in HMV, Rockaboom, Our Price, Tower records, Virgin, finally find it in the second hand section at the Left Legged Pineapple, buy it, get home, listen to it, feel slightly disappointed that it isn't the best album ever, persevere as you spent  your hard earned money on it, keep it on rotation for a week until you start to appreciate it for the masterpiece it is, love it, cherish it, forget about it, find it in a box in your parent's attic  years later, dust it off and play it again and feel the floods of nostalgia wash over you.

Nowadays: Hear of a band, find it on spotify, listen to it, go 'Meh', then put something else on.

That's one of the joys of it to be honest. My other half likes utter shite so every now and again I play some Cradle of Filth on mine which then goes on all devices lol.

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That's one of the joys of it to be honest. My other half likes utter shite so every now and again I play some Cradle of Filth on mine which then goes on all devices lol.

Ha ha, my girlfriend got a blast of Spineshank whilst at work when I was having a nu-metal day. She wasn't  impressed.

Pandora - Free. One ad every so often and given that we only listen to the radio in the kitchen during washing up etc. no way im paying for it.

Got a few thousand songs on my hardrive and play them through google play

On 25/04/2017 at 11:37, Costock_Fox said:

This has to be put in here...

Archived