Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

New York help

So the missus wants to go to New York next January for her 40th. Probably looking at a 3 night break I think. flights seem to be coming out around £800 total (£200 pp each way). Hotels seem pretty reasonable. Anyone got any travel tips, or hotel recommendations? Decent places to eat? Somewhere to watch the football? 

Plan to do the "tourist" stuff ("look, this is me in Times Square" etc, 

Any pointers much appreciated!

Why not stay at the crowne plaza in Times Square, I did last week.

things you should do whilst there are

Time square 

Statue of Liberty 

Ground zero

Empire state 

Central Park 

Rockerfella centre.

Another tip for you. Don't eat or drink near any of these places. The prices are astronomical. 

i'd like to add to that list with, grand central station, natural history museum and a broadway show, although you'll probably sleep through it because it does get a bit tiring, plus take the red route on the tour bus because the blue route around harlem is pretty boring. We stopped at The Westin, times square which was very good but i don't think it really matters as you tend to spend most of the time out of the hotel. Oh and the hard rock cafe does mega breakfasts.

16 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Time square 

Statue of Liberty 

Ground zero

Empire state 

Central Park 

Rockerfella centre.

Another tip for you. Don't eat or drink near any of these places. The prices are astronomical. 

Crowne Plaza looks good. Have also seen the Novotel Times Square which is similar price 130USD per night. 

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

i'd like to add to that list with, grand central station, natural history museum and a broadway show, although you'll probably sleep through it because it does get a bit tiring, plus take the red route on the tour bus because the blue route around harlem is pretty boring. We stopped at The Westin, times square which was very good but i don't think it really matters as you tend to spend most of the time out of the hotel. Oh and the hard rock cafe does mega breakfasts.

I think I'll be ok at finding my way around - GTA IV taught me a lot about NYC! lol

All earlier advice is spot on...but for an alternative, cheaper, hotel try The Wolcott....it is old school, old fashioned but a fantastic building and when I stayed 2 years ago it was great value for money, one street back off 5th Avenue and 2-3 mins walk to Empire State Building...it is not the most stylish, modern hotel you will ever stay in but location was great, room was great and it was better value than the hotels on Times Square.

Other tips...if you like different sports experiences go to Yankee Stadium to watch the Yankees, going out to the Bronx in itself is great and the bars pre-game are fantastic, or Citi Filed if you prefer the other baseball team The Mets, out in Queens. If it is NFL season the Giants and Jets both play on alternate weekends at Met-Life stadium, which is out towards East Rutherford, but easily accessible, and of course you have the Knicks for basketball and Rangers for Ice Hockey, both at MS Garden, or the Nets for basketball in Brooklyn, they play at the brand new Barclays Centre.

For the missus...try The Ride, which is an interactive NY bus trip/experience, it is like a mini theatre on a bus...different, interactive and great fun if you're prepared to join in, you need to book though.

On a similar theme try Ellen's Stardust Diner...singing waitress/waiter staff who get on the tables and get you singing and dancing whilst you have your breakfast etc...I hated it, missus loved it...you need to book as it gets rammed....food was good though, but pricey as it is on/just off Times Square

16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Crowne Plaza looks good. Have also seen the Novotel Times Square which is similar price 130USD per night. 

It's everything you need bud. You're right in the thick of things there too and close to the subway. Another tip if you do stay there is go to reception and just moan about your key not working or there's no bog roll or something. Every time you do they give you two free drinks tokens for the bar ?

48 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Time square 

Statue of Liberty 

Ground zero

Empire state 

Central Park 

Rockerfella centre.

All of the above plus

Walk across Brooklyn bridge

Coney island

Apollo theatre, Harlem.

Bronx zoo

Staten Island ferry (free)

Shop for Levis on Broadway (south)

The high line

Any Greenwich Village cafe/bar

And to meet proper New Yorkers away from the tourists the Upper West side bars.

If you get insomnia while in New York watch Baseball.

I took the wife last year for her 30th. Stayed 4 nights and cost approx. £1200 for flights and hotel. I have a few pointers.

We stayed in Times Square at the Paramount hotel. The hotel was a bit shit, the reception looked really nice but no light so was always dark no matter what time of day it was, our room was standard and we had a mouse so we swapped rooms to one higher up. I would suggest looking elsewhere in Times Square for a hotel. Paramount wasn't great.

If you are going to do the usual tourist stuff then defo buy a new York city pass. I booked my trip through British Airways who also sell the passes. You take the voucher with you and at the first attraction you go to you swap the voucher for the booklet. Well worth it as its much cheaper than buying each attraction individually.

I wouldn't waste your money on yellow cabs in New York. Just buy a weeks unlimited pass for the subway. Also if you stay in times square you can get the tube from JFK airport to times square. Much cheaper than a cab from the airport to your hotel.

Also when you get closer to the time I would do a lot of research when it comes to getting around.

I made notes in my iphone of where the attractions are, what tube to take etc. Helps out as it can be quite daunting navigating your way around NYC.

If you want a decent central hotel have a look at The Library, I stayed last year and loved it.

Ive posted a few times about NYC in the holiday thread but for three nights everything Jon and Boots have said. 

Not or seen any food recommendations, The Spotted Pig, River Cafe, or do a food tour which is great fun.

Went a few years ago, jumped on a minibus type veichle from JFK, dropped us right near our hotel. Think it was about $12 a piece.

Stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania, giant hotel opposite MSG (and Penn Station). Within walking distance of Times Square and was reasonably priced. Also handy as got the air train back to JFK for about $8 each.

I purchased a couple of New York passes. Think they cost me between £70-110 each. This gives access to pretty much everything (Empire State, SoL, Rockefeller, studio tours, food tours & all the museums). Worked out it saved me about £300 (if I'd paid for everything separately).

The Chicken kebab carts on street corners are your friend. $2/3 and it's a right tasty snack that'll keep you going for a couple of hours.

Archived