Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

20 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Anyone got the line ups, scores? I managed to miss our match.

Won the first game 1-0 (Pascanu). You should be able to rewind on the youtube video to watch it back anytime.

1 Daniel Iversen 
2 Darnell Johnson (c) 

3 Alex Pascanu
4 Lamine Kaba Sherif 
5 Josh Knight 
6 Sam Hughes 
7 Layton Ndukwu 
8 Admiral Muskwe 
9 Josh Gordon 
10 Josh Eppiah

7 starters + 3 subs

https://www.lcfc.com/news/686923/the-hong-kong-citi-soccer-sevens-explained

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, brucey said:

Won the first game 1-0. You should be able to rewind on the youtube video to watch it

I like these games on YouTube. If the PL sold them the rights I'd happily pay per game.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Is SCC's name an in-joke or were we really playing a load of cricketers?

I can only recognise Josh Gordon and Eppiah. Anyone recognise the rest? I guess Hamza is making way for another youth teamed now he's made the first team. And Pascanu scored our goal?

I presume they were founded as a cricket club but now have a footballing division? 

Check my edit, I posted the squad list above. Seems light on midfielders - hopefully we don't miss Hamza too much.

4 minutes ago, brucey said:

I presume they were founded as a cricket club but now have a footballing division? 

Check my edit, I posted the squad list above. Seems light on midfielders - hopefully we don't miss Hamza too much.

Cheers. Giving Darnell the captaincy I see. Perhaps to placate his wish to go into central defence and possibly leave. I guess Hamza will be doing the pre season with the first team now.

Edited by Foxxed

Sam Hughes had a great game. He wasn't tested too much obviously but he looks very comfortable on the ball. He seems like exactly the player Puel wants in central defence. I can imagine him getting a few cup games next season. I think Eppiah did well in this last season but he hardly sets the Premier League 2 ablaze - hopefully we'll see improvements this season, same with Gordon.

35 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Sam Hughes had a great game. He wasn't tested too much obviously but he looks very comfortable on the ball. He seems like exactly the player Puel wants in central defence. I can imagine him getting a few cup games next season. I think Eppiah did well in this last season but he hardly sets the Premier League 2 ablaze - hopefully we'll see improvements this season, same with Gordon.

Eppiah is 19 and it was his first full season with the U23s, so understandably he didn't do as well. Still managed to nail down a starting U23 spot over older players that had been there longer. Gordon turns 24 next year and his contract apparently expires this summer so it's too late for him, we'll probably release him to lower leagues.

33 minutes ago, brucey said:

Lost third and final group game 2-0 to Brighton.

We finish second in the group behind Brighton, doesn't matter as top 2 from each group proceed to the knockouts tomorrow.

I think they played a team physically stronger than them, missed their best chance in the 1st half and looked knackered in the 2nd.

49 minutes ago, brucey said:

Eppiah is 19 and it was his first full season with the U23s, so understandably he didn't do as well. Still managed to nail down a starting U23 spot over older players that had been there longer. Gordon turns 24 next year and his contract apparently expires this summer so it's too late for him, we'll probably release him to lower leagues.

I didn't realise he was 19. Fair enough, doesn't look too bad then. I agree about Gordon. He's not at the same level as Hamza, Diabate, Barnes, Gray, Hughes etc and a two to four years older.

we really need to get the likes of Muskwe, Eppiah etc. out on loan next season stop keeping players here to chase a meaningless title in the PL2 league, put player development first and foremost

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

we really need to get the likes of Muskwe, Eppiah etc. out on loan next season stop keeping players here to chase a meaningless title in the PL2 league, put player development first and foremost

I understand your point but the U23 is in effect the reserve team too so it's understandable that some oldies and players not getting regular first team football get match time. The youngsters can learn a lot from them and getting the chance to mix with the first teamers.

3 hours ago, FIF said:

I understand your point but the U23 is in effect the reserve team too so it's understandable that some oldies and players not getting regular first team football get match time. The youngsters can learn a lot from them and getting the chance to mix with the first teamers.

these games are meaningless it's not 30 years ago where reserve teams mattered they are glorified friendlies for players to develop they need to be playing competitive first team football, our U23 side is considerable older than most teams it players and its because we don't loan them out

55 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

these games are meaningless it's not 30 years ago where reserve teams mattered they are glorified friendlies for players to develop they need to be playing competitive first team football, our U23 side is considerable older than most teams it players and its because we don't loan them out

We can agree to disagree. The games are not meaningless only the results and that has always been the case. Loaning someone out doesn't mean that they will get to play football, if they do it doesn't mean that they will get to play football how you want them to and the standard of opposition in either case is not going to prepare them to play in the prem.

I do like loaning players out and I agree that we should, I just disagree with your dissing of the U23 teams, their matches and the help it is to the players.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

IMO the under 23’s are only pointless if there is no room for them to make the first team. If you have a coach like Puel who will pay attention to them, then it actually makes sense to keep them with us so that the manager can get to know them more.

As much as we like to think it’s happening Claude wasnt watching  full match replays of Barnsleys games to see if Barnes was good. He was watching him when he was in the under 23’s. 

I get your point that they learn more from loan spells, but I actually think we currently have the set up that makes our under 23’s team worth something. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brucey said:

Tough draw, Villa will have been joint favourites (with us) to win this tournament. Villa destroyed our U23s recently in a cup and won all 3 of their games today.

Villa were dispatched 2-0 by our boys. Gordon and Hughes the scorers. Newcastle next up in the semis. Rangers vs Cagliari in the other semi.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1