Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

7 hours ago, FIF said:

That's a little unfair. We've finished second and made it quite a way in the Cups. In essence the U23's isn't about winning competitions but progressing our youngsters.

Anyway I've enjoyed watching them this year but agree with you that our strikers are flawed. Eppiah has speed but lacks killer instinct. Gordon shows the odd flash as does Ekwube but there's no consistency in the strikers. We've got great defenders and some decent midfielders though.

Normally agree with you FIF but not on this occassion.

Agree that U23s should be about progression and not winning BUT that is complete opposite of what has happened this season with our U23s.

Sources tell me that at least 5 players were told they would be going out on loan in January but when it became apparent we might have a chance of winning the league, ALL the loan moves were blocked, thereby denying 5 promising players the chance to test themselves at the next level.....and simultaneosuly denying 5 younger players the opportunity to move up into the U23s.

Compare this with Villa last night were the avg age of their team was 19 (ours was 21) and they absolutely outplayed us in terms of movement, passing and techinal ability. One of our goals was scored by a 30 year old CB with Champions Lg experience and the other by a player who played over 20 games for Coventry in league 2 last season. is that really development football on our part...?!?

Out-thought, out-played and out-coached last night when the Villa youngsters refused to wilt under our long-ball physical game!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

Any chance of playing these lads against West Ham ?

Yes.....and then please remember not to complain when we get smashed again as "these lads" were outplayed by Villa U19s last night and beaten 4-1 by Sunderland U23s last week  :)

Report: Millwall watching Leicester City's Dylan Watts ahead of contract expiry

Sat 28 Apr

The Leicester City midfielder appears to have caught Millwall's eye while on loan to Bohemians.

Millwall are watching Leicester City midfielder Dylan Watts, according to the Irish Sun.

Watts is impressing on loan to Bohemians in the League of Ireland, and is due back at Leicester at the end of the English season.

However, the 21-year-old's Foxes deal also expires this summer, although the Premier League side are said to have an option to extend it by a further year.

According to the Irish Sun, Millwall are lurking should Leicester choose to let Watts go, with Lions duo Shaun Williams and Tim Cahill also nearing the end of their contracts.

Dubliner Watts moved to Leicester from UCD two years ago, but has yet to make his senior bow for the 2015-16 Premier League champions.

And a move to Millwall, who could yet sneak into the Championship play-offs on Sunday, could therefore appeal whether or not Leicester opt to keep him.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

Report: Millwall watching Leicester City's Dylan Watts ahead of contract expiry

Sat 28 Apr

The Leicester City midfielder appears to have caught Millwall's eye while on loan to Bohemians.

Millwall are watching Leicester City midfielder Dylan Watts, according to the Irish Sun.

Watts is impressing on loan to Bohemians in the League of Ireland, and is due back at Leicester at the end of the English season.

However, the 21-year-old's Foxes deal also expires this summer, although the Premier League side are said to have an option to extend it by a further year.

According to the Irish Sun, Millwall are lurking should Leicester choose to let Watts go, with Lions duo Shaun Williams and Tim Cahill also nearing the end of their contracts.

Dubliner Watts moved to Leicester from UCD two years ago, but has yet to make his senior bow for the 2015-16 Premier League champions.

And a move to Millwall, who could yet sneak into the Championship play-offs on Sunday, could therefore appeal whether or not Leicester opt to keep him.

Very good player technically.

Not given a very fair crack in our U23s due to his lack of strength so will be interesting to see if he can make it at Millwall at Championship level which is a far greater physical challenge...

50 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Seems a lot of the youngsters are training with the first team, could see Connor Wood, Choudhury, Barnes, Sam Hughes and George Thomas from the photos.... more than the usual amount that train with them I think?

Lots of first team injuries so would make sense

4 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Surprised we're not seeing Knight with the first team...is he injured? Wouldn't be shocked to see Hughes on the bench.

I think Knight will be on the bench at least, given that all Simpson, Amartey and Albrighton and ineligible. I think Dragovic would start at right back, but who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

The U23s' preseason (postseason?) starts THIS FRIDAY with the Hong Kong 7-a-side tournament!:clap:Eppiah's definitely going, not sure who else.

May 18-20. Should be streamed live here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnojqgYabCmagABe9KmBHsg/videos

Main Event

Group A: West Ham United, Wellington Phoenix, Kashima Antlers, Yau Yee League Select

Group B: Aston Villa, Cagliari Calcio, Kitchee, HKFC Captain’s Select

Group C: Newcastle United, Rangers, Newcastle Jets, Hong Kong Football Club

Group D: Leicester City, Brighton & Hove Albion, HKFA Red Dragons, Singapore Cricket Club

Edited by brucey

On 28/04/2018 at 11:08, Foxy-Lady said:

Agree that U23s should be about progression and not winning BUT that is complete opposite of what has happened this season with our U23s.

Sources tell me that at least 5 players were told they would be going out on loan in January but when it became apparent we might have a chance of winning the league, ALL the loan moves were blocked, thereby denying 5 promising players the chance to test themselves at the next level.....and simultaneosuly denying 5 younger players the opportunity to move up into the U23s.

Compare this with Villa last night were the avg age of their team was 19 (ours was 21) and they absolutely outplayed us in terms of movement, passing and techinal ability. One of our goals was scored by a 30 year old CB with Champions Lg experience and the other by a player who played over 20 games for Coventry in league 2 last season. is that really development football on our part...?!?

Out-thought, out-played and out-coached last night when the Villa youngsters refused to wilt under our long-ball physical game!

I think challenging for the league and learning you can play with the u-23s of other elite sides also leads to development for a number of our players. Gaining the confidence that comes with challenging for a league title has real world value, if they play in the Prem they will see many of these same players starring different places around the league, and they will know that they are on the same level. I imagine this offsets the loss of experience for the five to some extent, though I recognize this just changes the question to whether that was worth the loss of development for the 5. IDK, but I know that sort of confidence helped me in the past when I played my (different) sport. It has value. I just don't know how to quantify it.

8 hours ago, brucey said:

The U23s' preseason (postseason?) starts THIS FRIDAY with the Hong Kong 7-a-side tournament!:clap:Eppiah's definitely going, not sure who else.

May 18-20. Should be streamed live here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnojqgYabCmagABe9KmBHsg/videos

Main Event

Group A: West Ham United, Wellington Phoenix, Kashima Antlers, Yau Yee League Select

Group B: Aston Villa, Cagliari Calcio, Kitchee, HKFC Captain’s Select

Group C: Newcastle United, Rangers, Newcastle Jets, Hong Kong Football Club

Group D: Leicester City, Brighton & Hove Albion, HKFA Red Dragons, Singapore Cricket Club

If we lose to Singapore Cricket Club, then Filbert, Puel, and Rudkin must be sacked off.

On 28/04/2018 at 19:08, Foxy-Lady said:

This is a really good post.

It's great to have our U23's as one of the best sides in the country at that level but it appears our priority is "win at any cost" rather than development. We've effectively "age doped" to get an advantage.

I except that we can only ever have high hopes of a few players progressing to the first team eventually but those players development should be put above all things else. If the motivation of bringing Harvey Barnes back from Championship football so we could bolster our chances of winning the development league then that is irresponsible. Not allowing players going on loan is criminal when league clubs were prepared to give them game time.

I don't mind a few players like Josh Gordon who is older than most and I suspect was brought in to bolster the development squad rather than being a PL player eventually. He'll serve a purpose if he keeps us in the top league but the focus needs to be on developing players for either the first team or the transfer market.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gerard said:

This is a really good post.

It's great to have our U23's as one of the best sides in the country at that level but it appears our priority is "win at any cost" rather than development. We've effectively "age doped" to get an advantage.

I except that we can only ever have high hopes of a few players progressing to the first team eventually but those players development should be put above all things else. If the motivation of bringing Harvey Barnes back from Championship football so we could bolster our chances of winning the development league then that is irresponsible. Not allowing players going on loan is criminal when league clubs were prepared to give them game time.

I don't mind a few players like Josh Gordon who is older than most and I suspect was brought in to bolster the development squad rather than being a PL player eventually. He'll serve a purpose if he keeps us in the top league but the focus needs to be on developing players for either the first team or the transfer market.

Exactly this........although Barnes was technically recalled to be part of 1st team squad but ultimately spent far more time playing with the U23s to try and bolster our chances of winning a league that no-one actually cares about!

• Like 1

Our match is starting soon

Leicester City vs. Singapore Cricket Club - 3:40pm (8:40am BST)
Leicester City vs. HKFA Red Dragons - 5:22pm (10:22am BST)
Leicester City vs. Brighton & Hove Albion - 7:04pm (12:04pm BST)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brucey said:

Our match is starting soon

Leicester City vs. Singapore Cricket Club - 3:40pm (8:40am BST)
Leicester City vs. HKFA Red Dragons - 5:22pm (10:22am BST)
Leicester City vs. Brighton & Hove Albion - 7:04pm (12:04pm BST)

I presume it's running late