Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Steve Beaglehole was bursting with pride as he reflected on the Leicester City Development Squad’s latest season in Premier League 2, a campaign which ended with them securing their Division 1 status.

Throughout the 2016/17 term, the Foxes have played in five different competitions, including a maiden campaign in the UEFA Youth League, playing against opposition from across the continent, while also enjoying a number ofindividual success stories at an early stage of their development. 

While Harvey Barnes is one player to have made headlines among the Under-23s’ ranks in the past 10 months, excelling on loan at MK Dons and making his senior debut in the UEFA Champions League, Beaglehole was keen to heap praise on his entire squad as planning begins in earnest for the new season. 

“I was so proud of the players, proud of the staff,” he said after a 4-1 success over Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane this month. “There was a lot of successes along the way, it is not always about results. We had a lot of matches this season, we had the Youth League and, all in all, we had more than 40 games which is a lot of football matches. We were in the Premier League Cup and in the Checkatrade Trophy too, as well as the International Cup. 

“Our team was younger than it’s ever been since I’ve been in charge. In the past we’ve had more senior players with us. That was due to the number of games they had with the Champions League. We also had six Academy scholars with us. I felt, as the season progressed, that the team progressed. 

“They became more resilient and determined as it went on. A lot of that is a big compliment to Ben Petty, a coach who we got in from Aston Villa. If he had come in earlier, we would probably have been safer a lot earlier. Him coming in made a difference and straight away he and I dovetailed. 

“There were a lot of individual successes too. I honestly believe, from this group, there will be a few who progress and follow in the footsteps of Andy King, Jeff Schlupp, Liam Moore and Harvey Barnes in playing for the first-team. 

“Barnes was a big success. He went on loan to MK Dons. He scored goals there and he is only young. He is still a first year. People spoke about his play and his goals so that is great for him. Hamza Choudhury played in the Championship for Burton and Barnes made his debut in the Champions League.” 

Others within Beaglehole’s young squad also impressed on the international stage and the Under-23s manager was especially keen to give them a mention during his end-of-season catch-up with LCFC.com at Belvoir Drive last month. 

“We had players shine individually,” he added. “[Alex] Pascanu played for the Romanian Under-20s which, as a second year scholar, takes some doing. Darnell Johnson, too, represented England at Under-19s level. And Daniel Iversen was in with the Denmark Under-20s. Our captain, Elliott Moore, also played for England’s youth teams. 

“I was very pleased with the way our striker, Admiral Muskwe, progressed. He was one player we earmarked as one who had the potential to push on and play for the first team. Unfortunately, he suffered a nasty injury at Sunderland. Layton Ndukwu, meanwhile, is a player who has been in the system for a while and he scored some magical goals. He scored from the half-way line, too, which is one of the bests goals I’ve seen.” 

Looking ahead to the 2017/18 campaign, Beaglehole has told his players that he wants them to kick on and challenge higher up the table. With so many improving this season, the Development Squad’s backroom team are confident that City will be able to be more competitive in future seasons. 

“We’ve got some quality in the group and we will add to it,” Beaglehole continued.” If you look at the teams in our league, they’ve all invested. It may mean buying one or two players. We’ve earmarked players similar to the ones we’ve got and if we can add a few more, it’ll be a very strong group.”

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, davieG said:

“We’ve got some quality in the group and we will add to it,” Beaglehole continued.” If you look at the teams in our league, they’ve all invested. It may mean buying one or two players. We’ve earmarked players similar to the ones we’ve got and if we can add a few more, it’ll be a very strong group.”

This is good to hear. Be curious to see the calibre and profile of youth player we pick up. By all accounts Uche has done fairly well this season, and again we're scouring  non-league looking for rough diamonds, so be interested to see what we come up with.

City Make Three Additions To Development Squad

Posted: Fri 09 Jun 2017 
Author: Leicester City

image: http://www.lcfc.com/cms_images/dewsbury-hall-4-3280-3729698_613x460.jpg

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

Image by: Plumb Images

Three promising young players have been added to Leicester City’s Development Squad ranks this week, including two from the Club’s Academy.

- Highly rated Chester defender Sam Hughes joins Leicester City Development Squad 

- Academy graduates Alex Pascanu and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall sign two-year pro deals 

- Academy Player of the Season Pascanu, was recently called up by Romania U21s 

- Midfielder Dewsbury-Hall has progressed through the Academy ranks this term 

Three promising young players have been added to Leicester City’s Development Squad ranks this week, including two from the Club’s Academy. 

Highly-rated defender Sam Hughes, 20, will join the Development Squad on 1 July, after agreeing a move from National League club Chester on a three-year deal. 

The powerful centre-half was Chester’s Player of the Year last season, winning a host of admirers for his mature and consistent performances at the heart of the Blues defence. He joins City following the expiration of his contract and the Club would like to extend its thanks to Chester CEO Mark Maguire for his support for the player and efforts to facilitate the move. 

image: http://www.lcfc.com/cms_images/sam-hughes-4-3280-3729989.jpg

Meanwhile, promising duo Alex Pascanu and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, both graduates of the Leicester City Academy, have signed their first professional contracts – keeping them with the Club until June 2019. 

Pascanu, winner of the Leicester City Academy Player of the Season award, is a versatile defender who has featured regularly for the Club’s Development Squad this term. 

Called up by the Romania Under-21s this month for their UEFA EURO U21 2019 qualifier against Lichtenstein despite still being only 18-years-old, Pascanu also has a keen eye for goal. 

In October, he scored a brilliant volley at Loughborough University to help the Foxes secure a 3-2 victory over Copenhagen during City's maiden UEFA Youth League campaign. 

image: http://www.lcfc.com/cms_images/pascanu-4-280-3729711.jpg

Industrious central midfielder Dewsbury-Hall, meanwhile, has continued to impress for the Under-18s this year, helping the team reach the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup. 

The 18-year-old scored from long range during a 3-1 success over Leyton Orient in the third round before delivering a standout display against eventual winners Chelsea. 

Promoted to the Development Squad in March, the Shepshed-based Academy product made his debut at Under-23s level during a 2-2 draw with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/city-make-three-additions-to-development-squad-3729670.aspx#OzvgdpjilwtPugpq.99

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheMightySystem said:

Think we might be seeing him at Rb in cup competitions this season, glad for him to be called up and would be good to have a younger player that can learn from Simpson.

Another actual right back in the team? Surely you jest.

2 hours ago, TheMightySystem said:

Nah reckon we will just bring through Elliot Moore and play him Rb instead as that seemed to work with Hernandez.

"I've trained since four years old to be Leicester's centre back."

"Right, so you're telling me you want to be our right back? Great news."

"No, sorry I actually become violently sick if I'm too far across the right of the pitch."

"Even better, it's time to fix that problem!"

"Look, I have awards playing centre back and play for my national team there."

"Excellent experience to bring in your new right back position!"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dedlock said:

The first team squad on OS includes Elliott Moore and Harvey Barnes with squad numbers

Be interesting to see if any of the other youngsters get a chance this year. 99% sure Barnes will be getting first team football opportunities and if we play 3 at the back then Elliot Moore could be given a chance in cup competitions.

Edited by TheMightySystem

9 minutes ago, dedlock said:

The first team squad on OS includes Elliott Moore and Harvey Barnes with squad numbers

Those are just the squad numbers they had last season. Elder isn't on the page as he didn't feature in any squad.

2 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Josh Eppiah? He is at U18 level although seeing him dominate the Honk Kong Soccer 7s I reckon he might be called up to the U23 squad this season.

Yeah that's the lad. Looked a real talent. Amazing that he's still under 18. Thank you for letting me know

Just now, Nickfosse said:

Yeah that's the lad. Looked a real talent. Amazing that he's still under 18. Thank you for letting me know

Turns 19 in October, be good if we could get a striker coming through the youth system with all our strikers becoming 30+ this summer apart from Iheanacho if he signs.