Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Separate issues to the one davey wasn't allowed to discuss, but thanks for pointing those out. 

No they aren't.  When you're asking for further exemptions from the Union's rules on freedom of movement then in any sane discussion the exemptions you already benefit from plus the Union's own safeguards against benefits tourism (that our government was responsible for not rigorously enforcing) are inextricably linked.

54 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

See from:  "We don't want to be in Schengen" to "we want to kick out people who come here but don't work here and can't afford to support themselves".

51 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Separate issues to the one davey wasn't allowed to discuss, but thanks for pointing those out. 

EU nations can already stop EU nationals coming in permanently if they can't prove they have the means. It's allowed and is done elsewhere within europe. The UK has never implemented this because it chose not to.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, toddybad said:

EU nations can already stop EU nationals coming in permanently if they can't prove they have the means. It's allowed and is done elsewhere within europe. The UK has never implemented this because it chose not to.

Cue "it's not about immigration it's about taking back control".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Manufacturing sector representing this quarter. 

Good job team. We're fuching massive. :cool:

Representing what? 

Jared O'Mara suspended 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41750136

I know it's not just about comments made over ten years ago, but should people be held to account over comments made when they were teenagers.

I think there will be more and more of this as we get politicians that grew up in the digital age. Especially people in their thirties when a lot of this was new and consequences of an offensive comment were not known or understood.

Facebook enjoys reminding me of the dumb shit I wrote over 10 years ago.

Edited by Captain...

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Jared O'Mara suspended 

I know it's not just about comments made over ten years ago, but should people be held to account over comments made when they were teenagers.

I think there will be more and more of this as we get politicians that grew up in the digital age. Especially people in their thirties when a lot of this was new and consequences of an offensive comment were not known or understood.

Its a difficult one, yes i've written dumb shit in the past on social media and i would feel a bit upset if i had to justify it now. This is a person who should be representing everybody though and vile comments like those would have been just as offensive then as now. I would say, its acceptable to publish them and shame him and he will have to deal with the consequences however unfortunate.

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Jared O'Mara suspended 

Well at least it should make the next generation think twice before they post stuff.

I just don't get why people feel the need to be so offensive, disrespectful and unpleasant and that goes for some on here.

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Its a difficult one, yes i've written dumb shit in the past on social media and i would feel a bit upset if i had to justify it now. This is a person who should be representing everybody though and vile comments like those would have been just as offensive then as now. I would say, its acceptable to publish them and shame him and he will have to deal with the consequences however unfortunate.

But the person who is representing the people of Hallam is a 35 year old who has done a lot of work for the community over the last 10 years (maybe). Not a 22 year old virgin keyboard warrior (maybe). His comments are only really relevant now if he still believes and acts like that. I suppose you could let him own them and explain how and why he has changed, but I don't think you should be able to punish him. There is a statute of limitations on most crimes, surely also on opinions.

I think the most concerning thing about this is how much it could put off young people going in to politics. I've never put anything as offensive as what he put, but I've put enough dumb shit and stupid photos out there that stripped of all context could be embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

But the person who is representing the people of Hallam is a 35 year old who has done a lot of work for the community over the last 10 years (maybe). Not a 22 year old virgin keyboard warrior (maybe). His comments are only really relevant now if he still believes and acts like that. I suppose you could let him own them and explain how and why he has changed, but I don't think you should be able to punish him. There is a statute of limitations on most crimes, surely also on opinions.

I think the most concerning thing about this is how much it could put off young people going in to politics. I've never put anything as offensive as what he put, but I've put enough dumb shit and stupid photos out there that stripped of all context could be embarrassing.

Its a difficult one, if the Labour Party are not seen to act, what message does it send? In an ideal world i totally agree but we are some way from that. 

If this was a conservative/ukip politician and they chose to back him, you just know what would be said. 

Its unfortunate and i'm on the fence, i dont think he is a monster because of it but his position in the party is definitely close to untenable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Its a difficult one, if the Labour Party are not seen to act, what message does it send? In an ideal world i totally agree but we are some way from that. 

If this was a conservative/ukip politician and they chose to back him, you just know what would be said. 

Its unfortunate and i'm on the fence, i dont think he is a monster because of it but his position in the party is definitely close to untenable.

Which is why something like a statute of limitations takes it out of the "employers" hands. Then it doesn't matter if it is shelf stacker, footballer (Andre Gray) or politician of whatever type. Or at least limit any sort of punishment to a fine/awareness training not cost someone their job.

For example defamation has a limit of one year in the UK, if you say something defamatory 13 months ago, let alone 13 years then that can't be held against you.

54 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Jared O'Mara suspended 

Harsh imo. 

I was raised Catholic, if you'd have asked me for my views on homosexuals when I was a teenager, they would certainly not match my views of today. What he said was wrong, that is a fact, but people grow. Especially after such a long length of time. 

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Which is why something like a statute of limitations takes it out of the "employers" hands. Then it doesn't matter if it is shelf stacker, footballer (Andre Gray) or politician of whatever type. Or at least limit any sort of punishment to a fine/awareness training not cost someone their job.

For example defamation has a limit of one year in the UK, if you say something defamatory 13 months ago, let alone 13 years then that can't be held against you.

If i was an employer, id rather face a fine from the state or an employment tribunal, than risk losing my customers due to awful comments made by a disposable employee. I would imagine the same applies here.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

If i was an employer, id rather face a fine from the state or an employment tribunal, than risk losing my customers due to awful comments made by a disposable employee. I would imagine the same applies here.

Even if they were made 10 years ago by someone you know to have grown up a lot and no longer thinks like that. All he is trying to do is make a living?

They would have to be special cases, such as someone in the public eye, for it to really get to that stage. I would say anything that happened or was said before they were "employed" then I don't think "employers" should be able to sack them, even if they are disposable.

Edited by Captain...

How anyone can trust this lot to run a country when basic vetting seems to be beyond them is a mystery.

Hilarious though, Nick Clegg must feel like Clinton losing to this, how did his team not find it?

I think he's in trouble now, it's one thing defending behaviour 15 years ago but 3 months ago is pushing it.

Edited by MattP

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

How anyone can trust this lot to run a country when basic vetting seems to be beyond them is a mystery.

Hilarious though, Nick Clegg must feel like Clinton losing to this, how did his team not find it?

I think he's in trouble now, it's one thing defending behaviour 15 years ago but 3 months ago is pushing it.

He did sign something to say that there was nothing in his past that could embarrass the party. I imagine it as thorough as most other parties, they can't start demanding access to your social media accounts. He had his account hacked didn't he? It wasn't public posts.