Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Do you mean free health care and education, an extensive welfare state and regulation of business? That kind of thing? 

He does. And I'm sure you're about to say we already have those. But for purely ideological reasons the tory party are busy dismantling all of them through lack of funding.

We're asking for public services to be properly funded. If it takes more tax then so be it. 

Constantly telling us that labour are going to turn us into a third world nation doesn't make it any more true.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You can go through it all you want, fact is you're wrong - wages have dropped in real terms. In absolute terms they may be up, but that's irrelevant. 

Incomes are not down, that's not relevant.

11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

He does. And I'm sure you're about to say we already have those. But for purely ideological reasons the tory party are busy dismantling all of them through lack of funding.

We're asking for public services to be properly funded. If it takes more tax then so be it. 

Constantly telling us that labour are going to turn us into a third world nation doesn't make it any more true.

You don't want to believe everything you read in the Guardian.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Incomes are not down, that's not relevant.

Go back and read the FT article toddybad linked. Relative to inflation they are (I.e. they've grown slower than inflation). You're pointing at absolute numbers saying they've gone up, but that means nothing when they've not gone up quickly enough for the money they have to go as far as it did.

18 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Go back and read the FT article toddybad linked. Relative to inflation they are (I.e. they've grown slower than inflation). You're pointing at absolute numbers saying they've gone up, but that means nothing when they've not gone up quickly enough for the money they have to go as far as it did.

I'm bored with this, you're wrong  and I can't be bothered to keep repeating myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I'm bored with this, you're wrong  and I can't be bothered to keep repeating myself.

No webbo, you just deny anything that makes your beloved Tories look bad.

Overall, income is very slightly (2% for the poor,  or around 0.25% per year compounded per year) up over the last 7 years.

In the early years of Tory rule, income was up.

More recently, income is falling in real terms. If it continues as it is that 2% won't exist. 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

No webbo, you just deny anything that makes your beloved Tories look bad.

Overall, income is very slightly (2% for the poor,  or around 0.25% per year compounded per year) up over the last 7 years.

In the early years of Tory rule, income was up.

More recently, income is falling in real terms. If it continues as it is that 2% won't exist. 

So whats the bad news?

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

DM1WmHEW0AAa9ap.jpg:large

He was on Channel 4 a while back and went full Harry Enfield, said the country is worth 2.6billion and we've got "loadsamoney" in an interview, how he got past the vetting is a mystery.

He actually beat Nick Clegg to this seat, no greater example of how stupid an electorate can be in voting a paper candidate into office because of party affiliation, the bloke shouldn't be in charge of a school disco.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

He was on Channel 4 a while back and went full Harry Enfield, said the country is worth 2.6billion and we've got "loadsamoney" in an interview, how he got past the vetting is a mystery.

He actually beat Nick Clegg to this seat, no greater example of how stupid an electorate can be in voting a paper candidate into office because of party affiliation, the bloke shouldn't be in charge of a school disco.

Just imagine if Thracian had said such things.

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

Your right, he doesn't come across as an MP. However, he is a young guy and these comments were made 13-15 years ago. 

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Your right, he doesn't come across as an MP. However, he is a young guy and these comments were made 13-15 years ago. 

I'm not really bothered about his comments, although I suppose it's funny he got onto the equalities commission. 

More concerned about the interview I saw where he showed the political knowledge of an A4 sheet of paper. I don't think any major political party has ever had as many thickos elected to office as this current Labour one. 

Edited by MattP

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

I find it sad that something which a guy said in his early 20s can come back and bite him on the arse 15 years later.  Seriously the social media generation is completely ****ed.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MattP said:

I'm not really bothered about his comments, although I suppose it's funny he got onto the equalities commission. 

More concerned about the interview I saw where he showed the political knowledge of an A4 sheet of paper. I don't think any major political party has ever had as many thickos elected to office as this current Labour one. 

On a pro-rata basis quite a close run thing with the SNP c2015 GE. There were some right dummies in that intake...

1 hour ago, Brizzle Fox said:

On a pro-rata basis quite a close run thing with the SNP c2015 GE. There were some right dummies in that intake...

They certainly had a few drips but it's nothing compared to this lot, on the front benches as well in Labour, I wake up this morning and within five minutes of flicking onto Sky News I've seen Angela Rayner say "pacific" instead of "specific" - I wish I didn't care so much, I'd try and just switch off for a year and come back hoping all this insanity had ended.

In other news very disappointed (but totally expected) to see yet again that those "reasonable" EU politicians have again leaked for the second time contents of a private meeting involving Brexit negotiations, how hard can it be for them to actually find out who this is? It has to be deliberate.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/universities-mccarthyism-mp-demands-list-brexit-chris-heaton-harris

Academics are accusing a Tory MP and government whip of “McCarthyite” behaviour, after he wrote to all universities asking them to declare what they are teaching their students about Brexit and to provide a list of teachers’ names.

Chris Heaton-Harris, Conservative MP for Daventry and a staunch Eurosceptic, wrote to vice-chancellors at the start of this month asking for the names of any professors involved in teaching European affairs “with particular reference to Brexit”. Neatly ignoring the long tradition of academic freedom that universities consider crucial to their success, his letter asks for a copy of each university’s syllabus and any online lectures on Brexit.

Prof David Green, vice-chancellor of Worcester University, felt a chill down his spine when he read the “sinister” request: “This letter just asking for information appears so innocent but is really so, so dangerous,” he says. “Here is the first step to the thought police, the political censor and newspeak, naturally justified as ‘the will of the British people’, a phrase to be found on Mr Heaton-Harris’s website.” Green will be replying to the MP but not be providing the information requested.

Blimey this is like fvcking Stalin. Traitors to the revolution will be re-educated, comrades.

Edited by Sharpe's Fox

2 hours ago, MattP said:

lol

My Irish passport is already on the way just in case!

It'd be just the way for all the Brexiters to desert the UK for the continent just as their madness really kicks in over here.

4 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/universities-mccarthyism-mp-demands-list-brexit-chris-heaton-harris

Blimey this is like fvcking Stalin. Traitors to the revolution will be re-educated, comrades.

For some reason No 10 is not cool with this.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/no-10-disowns-tory-whip-accused-of-mccarthyite-behaviour-universities-brexit

Surely a bit of McCarthyism is what we need to put a spring back in everyone's step?

CRUSH THE SABOTEURS etc

11 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

You missed off the

"UK: we want to discuss immigration controls

EU: lul we don't talk about that" 

Bit. 

See from:  "We don't want to be in Schengen" to "we want to kick out people who come here but don't work here and can't afford to support themselves".

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

See from:  "We don't want to be in Schengen" to "we want to kick out people who come here but don't work here and can't afford to support themselves".

Separate issues to the one davey wasn't allowed to discuss, but thanks for pointing those out.