Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Indefinitely having a transition period isn't Labour policy?

What has it changed to now I missed the news at 8.

Didn't really matter Matty. The current tory leadership are going all out for soft Brexit so you'll get to be all angsty for another 30 years once it's done.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Wouldn't worry, if McDonnell gets anywhere number 11 we won't have much left to tax, anything that isn't nailed down will be gone.

Given the position will be to stay in the single market not a thing he can do about it either.

The EU is the only thing stopping John McDonnell becoming a fully independent nuclear power, mate.

Just now, toddybad said:

Didn't really matter Matty. The current tory leadership are going all out for soft Brexit so you'll get to be all angsty for another 30 years once it's done.

What's the new Labour position? Seriously. 

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

More than happy to see you posting this stuff. I'll have a look tomorrow. The paper doesn't sound that enamored with it in the narrative though.

When you've finished that there's this. https://www.economistsforfreetrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/From-Project-Fear-to-Project-Prosperity-An-Introduction-15-Aug-17-2.pdf

and this

https://www.economistsforfreetrade.com/News/britains-poorest-families-will-be-the-biggest-winners-from-brexit/

Just now, toddybad said:

More than happy to see you posting this stuff. I'll have a look tomorrow. The paper doesn't sound that enamored with it in the narrative though.

Mate I'm generally on your side (though I'm nowhere near as fond of Labour as you are) but that's pretty weak sauce:  You've been asking him to back up his counterarguments to your articles and explicitly stated you'd be happy to look at his material if he offers any but now that he's done so your response is you'll "have a look tomorrow".  Top trolling.  lol

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

We'll all be spending our Saturday watching the game while Toddy is busy catching up on reading articles and reports posted by Matt & Webbo lol

One thing I've always found bizarre is people who post in this thread while we are playing. Those people know who they are!

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

These are by Patrick Minford who's arguments have been thoroughly debunked. One of the assumptions he makes in the small print is that if we leave with no deal, the EU will drop the tariffs anyway. Cos they're cool like that, presumably. They'll give us a deal without having agreed a deal, and then we'll be fine because we've got a deal, even though we didn't get a deal. It's really weak stuff.

Just now, Rogstanley said:

These are by Patrick Minford who's arguments have been thoroughly debunked. One of the assumptions he makes in the small print is that if we leave with no deal, the EU will drop the tariffs anyway. Cos they're cool like that, presumably. They'll give us a deal without having agreed a deal, and then we'll be fine because we've got a deal, even though we didn't get a deal. It's really weak stuff.

And there we have why I don't bother.

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

We'll all be spending our Saturday watching the game while Toddy is busy catching up on reading articles and reports posted by Matt & Webbo lol

He won't, he does this all the time.

Whenever KingGTF does a long post about economics the reply comes back "I'll reply to this later/tomorrow" and then two days later we just get a re-appearance with a post about something totally different with a link to the Guardian.

Just now, MattP said:

He won't, he does this all the time.

Whenever KingGTF does a long post about economics the reply comes back "I'll reply to this later/tomorrow" and then two days later we just get a re-appearance with a post about something totally different with a link to the Guardian.

Sounds like Toddy has been rumbled :thumbup:

Just now, Rogstanley said:

Because you dont like things you believe in being critically analysed?

When you say thoroughly debunked you mean somebody on your side of the argument, surprise surprise, disagrees.

Your bias source disagrees with my biased source. Which is why all this " here's proof I'm right" is bollox. Nobody changes their mind on here, it's all about trying to score points on one another.

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

One thing I've always found bizarre is people who post in this thread while we are playing. Those people know who they are!

What's wrong with it?  I do this occasionally and in my defence if I'm at home and able to watch the match then it tends to coincide with me having FT open in another window on the other half of the monitor.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

When you say thoroughly debunked you mean somebody on your side of the argument, surprise surprise, disagrees.

Your bias source disagrees with my biased source. Which is why all this " here's proof I'm right" is bollox. Nobody changes their mind on here, it's all about trying to score points on one another.

I don't really see myself as having a side, but Minford is pretty much on his own among economists as predicting all sorts of benefits from brexit. His work is apparently littered with basic errors as well as the bizarre assumption I mentioned above.

I agree it's all bollocks these days though. That's the problem with modern politics, it's just relentless bollocks, intellectual dishonesty, stubbornness and more bollocks.

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

What's wrong with it?  I do this occasionally and in my defence if I'm at home and able to watch the match then it tends to coincide with me having FT open in another window on the other half of the monitor.

Fair enough I can sort of understand that if online.

If I'm at game or watching on a TV I'll turn the phone onto silent and ignore it.

6 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I don't really see myself as having a side, but Minford is pretty much on his own among economists as predicting all sorts of benefits from brexit. His work is apparently littered with basic errors as well as the bizarre assumption I mentioned above.

I agree it's all bollocks these days though. That's the problem with modern politics, it's just relentless bollocks, intellectual dishonesty, stubbornness and more bollocks.

It's economists for free trade which is more than just Patrick Minford, who is actually an economics professor btw. It also includes John Mills, a trained economist, successful businessman and major Labour party donor.

Edit actually John Mills isn't a member but he's contributed to the report. The ful list is here https://www.economistsforfreetrade.com/who-we-are/

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

Two observations:

1- the first of the two articles talks about unilaterally removing tariffs to reduce costs. It does make reference to the fact there are negative connotations to the likelihood of achieving trade deals if we already have no import tariffs but then goes ahead and assumes we'd get the trade deals anyway.

2- the second article talks about families with income equivalent to one average wage being £44 per week better off. One of the two major factors it highlights is again the cost of foodstuffs. It ignores the fact that the pound has weakened significantly which means imports cost significantly more.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Fair enough I can sort of understand that if online.

If I'm at game or watching on a TV I'll turn the phone onto silent and ignore it.

I tend to have a look at the match thread of FT at halftime to see what others are making of the match. Might slip into general from time to time while I'm waiting too. Do people post actually during the games?

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

Here's how we could see lower food prices after Brexit  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/could-see-lower-food-prices-brexit/

Last time I bought a banana from tesco it cost me a whopping 20p.

After Brexit, this will be 15p?

Dont get me wrong, I look forward to the extra cash in my pocket, but the Dominican Republic isnt going to replace France as a big export partner for British produce.

4 hours ago, toddybad said:

Two observations:

2- the second article talks about families with income equivalent to one average wage being £44 per week better off. One of the two major factors it highlights is again the cost of foodstuffs. It ignores the fact that the pound has weakened significantly which means imports cost significantly more.

That £44 is from the value of the sterling at the time of the article, if the pound increases or decreases in value, so would the amount they would be better off by.

2 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Dont get me wrong, I look forward to the extra cash in my pocket, but the Dominican Republic isnt going to replace France as a big export partner for British produce.

No Dominican Republic won’t, a hell of a lot of it can come from Africa.