Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

21 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Do you mean go to Africa?? I'm talking about exports.

Ethiopians suddenly going to develop an expensive taste for pork pie and chutney are they? :D

:D

Sorry I misread it. Too early for this shit.

Im not sure why it should make much difference to France or French companies. I’ve said before, the value of sterling negates most of any extra charges import tax would have anyway. So for them, the price is similar to what it was pre June 2016.

5 hours ago, toddybad said:

Two observations:

1- the first of the two articles talks about unilaterally removing tariffs to reduce costs. It does make reference to the fact there are negative connotations to the likelihood of achieving trade deals if we already have no import tariffs but then goes ahead and assumes we'd get the trade deals anyway.

2- the second article talks about families with income equivalent to one average wage being £44 per week better off. One of the two major factors it highlights is again the cost of foodstuffs. It ignores the fact that the pound has weakened significantly which means imports cost significantly more.

Inflation is based on the last 12 months, if the £ doesn't fall any further inflation shouldn't be affected any further. The fact that people will have more spare cash because they're not spending so much means they'll be spending it on other things boosting the economy.

45 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Last time I bought a banana from tesco it cost me a whopping 20p.

After Brexit, this will be 15p?

Dont get me wrong, I look forward to the extra cash in my pocket, but the Dominican Republic isnt going to replace France as a big export partner for British produce.

Well France sell more to us than we do to them so it would make sense for them to do a deal on trade.

18 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

OK, I have a very important question about the current scandal.

Is it sexual HArussmunt or sexual huRASSmunt.

The news appears not to know which one to use.

I’ve always heard the latter (not whilst in the dock) but being from Leicester, it’s difficult to be pick on pronunciation.

Edited by Strokes

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

That £44 is from the value of the sterling at the time of the article, if the pound increases or decreases in value, so would the amount they would be better off by.

At the time of the article the Brexit vote had already happened so the drop in sterling had already happened. If we see an improvement from the current position that would obviously be welcome but we'd potentially still be worse off due to the Brexit vote. 

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Well France sell more to us than we do to them so it would make sense for them to do a deal on trade.

6.9% of France's exports are to Britain. It wouldn't effect the other 93.1% of their exports.

For them we are a medium sized but single fish.

For us, Brexit affects the whole EU. 44% of exports and 53% of imports will be affected based on 2015 figures.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Surely, being from Leicester it's 'arrismunt?

Only if some munter of an MP touches your arris. :whistle:

Sorry. I know some aspects of this scandal are very serious and need addressing, but the media frenzy is doing my head in a bit!

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Inflation is based on the last 12 months, if the £ doesn't fall any further inflation shouldn't be affected any further. The fact that people will have more spare cash because they're not spending so much means they'll be spending it on other things boosting the economy.

My point is that imports are already costing us more due to the fall of the pound immediately after the vote. Even if things got no better or worse from here we are already worse off. People already won't have as much space cash as they would have. 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, toddybad said:

At the time of the article the Brexit vote had already happened so the drop in sterling had already happened. If we see an improvement from the current position that would obviously be welcome but we'd potentially still be worse off due to the Brexit vote. 

Surely though that makes the figure more impressive?

Just now, Strokes said:

Surely though that makes the figure more impressive?

No. It means they're claiming we'll be better off than we are now. This may still mean that we're worse off than before the vote.

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

6.9% of France's exports are to Britain. It wouldn't effect the other 93.1% of their exports.

For them we are a medium sized but single fish.

For us, Brexit affects the whole EU. 44% of exports and 53% of imports will be affected based on 2015 figures.

It's still tens of thousands of jobs to them, if they're willing to throw them away that's up to them. The lower £ already makes us more competitive, being outside the single market means we can make ourselves more competitive to the rest of the world. Most of our exports are services anyway so tariffs aren't an issue.

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

My point is that imports are already costing us more due to the fall of the pound immediately after the vote. Even if things got no better or worse from here we are already worse off. People already won't have as much space cash as they would have. 

In the 70s we had inflation of 15-20% as the norm. We're still here.

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sorry. I know some aspects of this scandal are very serious and need addressing, but the media frenzy is doing my head in a bit!

Alright Michael Gove, leave your hate out of this.

:P

Just now, Webbo said:

It's still tens of thousands of jobs to them, if they're willing to throw them away that's up to them. The lower £ already makes us more competitive, being outside the single market means we can make ourselves more competitive to the rest of the world. Most of our exports are services anyway so tariffs aren't an issue.

We are more competitive for exports when expressed in foreign currency, though it's been noted by the ons that exporters are failing to see the expected increase in sales volumes as they have tried to 'keep' the difference as a higher profit margin, rather than dropping foreign currency prices.

It may be tens of thousands of jobs for France, but it's millions of jobs for us. Arguing that we're in the stronger position doesn't work for me.

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It's absolutely nuts, how are we managing to have text messages being reported alongside rape as sexual assault? 

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

In the 70s we had inflation of 15-20% as the norm. We're still here.

We've already had an increase in import costs of 20% due to pound falling since the Brexit vote. 

Whilst you might think this makes exports 20% cheaper, many products are made using imported parts so are now more expensive to manufacture and evidence put forward by the ons suggests that manufacturers aren't dropping foreign currency prices.

3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

lol I'm not siding with Toddybad's dramatics here but that is not a response Webbo

I'm saying panicking about 3 % inflation as if it's the end of world is ridiculous, we've survived far worse. A few years ago we a few months of deflation and everyone was panicking about that. 

9 minutes ago, toddybad said:

We are more competitive for exports when expressed in foreign currency, though it's been noted by the ons that exporters are failing to see the expected increase in sales volumes as they have tried to 'keep' the difference as a higher profit margin, rather than dropping foreign currency prices.

It may be tens of thousands of jobs for France, but it's millions of jobs for us. Arguing that we're in the stronger position doesn't work for me.

Exports are up, that's a fact. Factories can only produce to their capacity, if orders are coming in faster than they can fill them then there is going to be a time lag in what can be achieved until they can increase capacity. Orders are up so we'll just have to see how it pans out.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I'm saying panicking about 3 % inflation as if it's the end of world is ridiculous, we've survived far worse. A few years ago we a few months of deflation and everyone was panicking about that. 

That's fair enough, the 3% is based on prices rises due to sterling falling. My only concern is that sterling fell 20% and so I'm unsure as to how far inflation needs to go to redress cost increases upon business. I suppose the modem hidden inflation of size decreases to products is taking some of the financial inflation pressures away. 

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Exports are up, that's a fact. Factories can only produce to their capacity, if orders are coming in faster than they can fill them then there is going to be a time lag in what can be achieved until they can increase capacity. Orders are up so we'll just have to see how it pans out.

A couple of months old but suggests exports were falling, and imports rising, at the start of this summer.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-trade-deficit-export-figures-june-drop-5-per-cent-goods-ons-city-london-manufacturing-a7885586.html%3famp