Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

This is my last post on this subject today.

Free trade is good for the countries that participate, ideally that would be every country but that's not going to happen in the near future. It might not happen here, that depends on the govt but I believe we'd all benefit.

Shame it’s your last post...

...because i think what you’ve effectively said is you’re in favour of a group of countries - let’s for argument sake say they happen to be on the same continent, maybe as we’re EUROPEAN, Europe - to come together and form a free trade alliance, a club, a UNION if you will - because this country would benefit. 

All those that agree with these findings say Aye!

By the way Webbo, I can’t believe you feel into that one - thought for sure you’d see it was a planted leading question. But trust you will be a man of your word.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Shame it’s your last post...

...because i think what you’ve effectively said is you’re in favour of a group of countries - let’s for argument sake say they happen to be on the same continent, maybe as we’re EUROPEAN, Europe - to come together and form a free trade alliance, a club, a UNION if you will - because this country would benefit. 

All those that agree with these findings say Aye!

By the way Webbo, I can’t believe you feel into that one - thought for sure you’d see it was a planted leading question. But trust you will be a man of your word.

The EU is just 12% of world trade, down to 10% by the time we leave. Why would we want to restrict ourselves to other 90% and allow it to be decided on our behalf by people we can elect?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The EU is just 12% of world trade, down to 10% by the time we leave. Why would we want to restrict ourselves to other 90% and allow it to be decided on our behalf by people we can elect?

Because @webbo says it’d be good for those countries that’s participated.

Ask, him, he’s the converted EU advocate (with an exception for US Chickens and African farmed goods)

5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Ask, him, he’s the converted EU advocate (with an exception for US Chickens and African farmed goods)

Well clearly the EU has been good but the world market is so much bigger and the EU is closed off too it. 

If you lefties want genuine wealth equality we aren’t going to do that by donating to comic relief, lets trade fairly with Africa and South America and let them at the top table. 

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Would it make sense to you to drive to Scotland to get 1p per litre off your milk?

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Well clearly the EU has been good but the world market is so much bigger and the EU is closed off too it. 

If you lefties want genuine wealth equality we aren’t going to do that by donating to comic relief, lets trade fairly with Africa and South America and let them at the top table. 

@Webbo will be delighted at being identified as a leftie, I’m sure.

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

You're at home in Leicester. Milk is for sale in Edinburgh for 1p per litre cheaper than anywhere else. You need your usual 6l of milk. Would you drive to Edinburgh to collect it or not?

I’ve got a job in Edinburgh on Thursday I’ll get it then, do you want me to pick you some up?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We can compensate landowners for their stewardship of the land if whatever party is in govt decides to do so.

We're talking about buying oranges from Africa rather than Spain, manufactured goods from India rather than Germany, for a cheaper price or we wouldn't bother, so that won't affect our business. If we buy exactly the same amount of goods our deficit in cash terms will go down. If we buy more goods because stuff is cheaper then that's profit for the importers, the distributors, the shops that sell the stuff. There won't be less jobs if we have free trade.

Yes, we can compensate landowners for their stewardship of the land, as the EU does under CAP - but that means less of a saving for the consumer/taxpayer. Anyway, that's cash that Boris has promised to the NHS....or extra cash to be obtained from tax increases, debt or further public service cuts, if the EU farm subsidies are indeed diverted to the NHS.

Those tariff-free imports you're advocating would have to be targeted with minuscule precision, wouldn't they? Tariff-free oranges from Africa, but not tariff-free mange-touts as they'd be in competition with British produce (peas, beans etc.).

Likewise with manufactures: they'd have to be goods produced in Germany and India, but not in the UK, otherwise cheap imports would impact British producers. Anyway, I don't understand the suggestion that we should make unilateral cuts to tariffs when we can negotiate trade deals to benefit both parties. Brexiteers assured us that this would be quick and easy to do, and that Liam Fox was already doing the groundwork. With trade deals, we could get a quid pro quo - low-tariff exports for our manufacturers etc. I thought you were advocating free trade, not a unilateral elimination of tariffs that would be a disguised increase in international development spending?

Neither of us can know whether there would be more or less jobs, or a higher or lower trade deficit if we unilaterally eliminated tariffs on certain imports from certain countries. It would depend on all sort of factors: whether consumers used any cash savings to purchase more imports, whether the extra output was generated here or abroad, how much was lost in tariff revenue, how many extra jobs were created at importers/distributors/shops compared to jobs lost on British farms and in British factories, whether any extra profits were invested in the UK or moved offshore etc.

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear about all these new trade deals that were promised - and not only the new ones that the EU was supposedly too inflexible to negotiate, but those dozens of deals worldwide that we already have through the EU and will need to replace, unless we want to pay HIGHER tariffs than we do now (bar any unilateral cuts in tariffs levied on developing countries). At least we know that the UK plans to try to negotiate a deal with the EU once the transition is hopefully agreed. We don't know anything about any plans to replace existing trade deals with Morocco, Norway, Switzerland, South Korea, Israel, Egypt, Mexico, Chile or Turkey, or deals part-implemented or pending with Canada, Japan, Singapore etc. 

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/negotiations-and-agreements/#_in-place

Like you, I'm out of here now - and will try to be in here less tomorrow! :D

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I’ve got a job in Edinburgh on Thursday I’ll get it then, do you want me to pick you some up?

You’re unable to answer because you know it blows your horseshit excuse for voting brexit out of the water.

“Lets open ourselves up to the world by closing ourselves off from our neighbours and closest trading partners” is a mind-numbing piece of idiocy. 

If you think a single person is falling for it you’re very much mistaken.

23 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Kettles. 

You are forgetting kettles. 

Just now, Rogstanley said:

You’re unable to answer because you know it blows your horseshit excuse for voting brexit out of the water.

“Lets open ourselves up to the world by closing ourselves off from our neighbours and closest trading partners” is a mind-numbing piece of idiocy. 

If you think a single person is falling for it you’re very much mistaken.

Just so we are clear, you don’t want any milk picking up on Thursday?

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Just so we are clear, you don’t want any milk picking up on Thursday?

If you’re paying for the fuel to get there and back and you’ve go a refrigerated van to transport it and you don’t expect any payment for your efforts then sure I’ll take advantage of a penny off. Get me 4l. 

3 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

If you’re paying for the fuel to get there and back and you’ve go a refrigerated van to transport it and you don’t expect any payment for your efforts then sure I’ll take advantage of a penny off. Get me 4l. 

I don’t pay for fuel, I have a cool box (I’m not going to take a pack lunch to work ina sweaty bag am I?). See brexit all the way ?

55 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What absolute nonsense. This is exactly the sort of shite that the likes of Boris push because they don't have any facts of figures to bolster their argument. How come they are never able to project any actual gains? It's complete bollocks.

Just now, toddybad said:

What absolute nonsense. This is exactly the sort of shite that the likes of Boris push because they don't have any facts of figures to bolster their argument. How come they are never able to project any actual gains? It's complete bollocks.

It’s a long game.