Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Just now, toddybad said:

Because we child veto anything we didn't like within the eu, I'm struggling why we didn't have sovereignty before. Oh we did.

Lose our rights to make laws affecting business without our taxes being used to pay off business in a TTIP style agreement.

What's your answer to this webbo?

Could we veto freedom of movement?

We've just started talking about an agreement, how do you know what's in it?

Again, same as above.

1 minute ago, LiberalFox said:

You can be sure if we chase a free trade deal with the USA it will be loaded in their favour. 

How can we be sure of that? That's just speculation.

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Because we child veto anything we didn't like within the eu, I'm struggling why we didn't have sovereignty before. Oh we did.

Lose our rights to make laws affecting business without our taxes being used to pay off business in a TTIP style agreement.

What's your answer to this webbo?

lol

We couldn't even do our own trade deals and you think we were sovereign?

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We can at least hold our own government accountable for this if they did do it, rather than just have to watch on as the EU tried to do it.

8 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

You can be sure if we chase a free trade deal with the USA it will be loaded in their favour. 

If webbo tells you the us need us more than weneed them I'm calling wum!

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Because they are a much larger economy than ours and know that we have shot ourselves in the foot by leaving the EU. They also know that the Conservative party is desperate to have something to show the brexit public. If we did get a good deal it would likely be due to Trump wanting to use us as a weapon against the EU. That's not something I want to be part of either. 

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Could we veto freedom of movement?

We've just started talking about an agreement, how do you know what's in it?

Again, same as above.

Yes. We could have at the outset but didn't as it was considered the better option for our country. 

27 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I don't want a free trade deal with America. I'd rather we were poorer than gave up our rights to that lot.

Whey hey now you know how we feel about the EU, if I'm honest I'd rather not have a free trade deal with the US but if it makes a success of brexit I'd endorse it. Obviously not without knowing exact details.

Just now, Strokes said:

Whey hey now you know how we feel about the EU, if I'm honest I'd rather not have a free trade deal with the US but if it makes a success of brexit I'd endorse it. Obviously not without knowing exact details.

What if the free trade deal with the us is worse (i cant see how it wouldn't be) than the one we currently have?

18 minutes ago, Webbo said:

But we will be making our own agreements and we can break those agreements too. That's sovereignty.

And any agreement will need to be overseen by a supranational body which is ceding control. If a trade deal affects the government's ability to legislate and regulate, as toddybad intimated, then you lose sovereignty. Sovereignty and globalised trade do not go together.

Just now, toddybad said:

What if the free trade deal with the us is worse (i cant see how it wouldn't be) than the one we currently have?

It's not the free trade deal I have an issue with (with the EU). It's the red line conditions of a Political Union that I take issue with. You can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think those conditions will be applied on any FTA with the US.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I know all about how brexit voters feel about the EU and I think you are wrong but that's a separate issue. Really I'm quite concerned that the public will go with anything "if it makes a success of brexit". Deals with Saudi Arabia and Turkey that are unethical and deals with the USA and Japan that are bad for our liberty. 

Just now, LiberalFox said:

I know all about how brexit voters feel about the EU and I think you are wrong but that's a separate issue. Really I'm quite concerned that the public will go with anything "if it makes a success of brexit". Deals with Saudi Arabia and Turkey that are unethical and deals with the USA and Japan that are bad for our liberty. 

Maybe, but if we were members of the EU, they could sign us up to equally bad deals. The much derived TTIP was negotiated by the EU and they would have loved it to be ratified. Japan deal looks like it will go through, we aren't safer inside it, quite the opposite.

6 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

And any agreement will need to be overseen by a supranational body which is ceding control. If a trade deal affects the government's ability to legislate and regulate, as toddybad intimated, then you lose sovereignty. Sovereignty and globalised trade do not go together.

But being in the EU doesn't just mean accepting their rules on trade, they have control on large chunks of our lives. A FTA with any country won't lead to that.

9 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Assuming they're allowed to sell more to us than we are to them (which probably won't happen) is that so bad? We'll only buy stuff off them if it's better and or cheaper than what we can already buy. So we'll still have better quality or cheaper goods and we'll still be selling to them what we already sell to them.

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Maybe, but if we were members of the EU, they could sign us up to equally bad deals. The much derived TTIP was negotiated by the EU and they would have loved it to be ratified. Japan deal looks like it will go through, we aren't safer inside it, quite the opposite.

It doesn't work like that. Our own government could veto the deal if they didn't like it. The EU also has much more bargaining power than just the UK. 

It doesn't work like that. Our own government could veto the deal if they didn't like it. The EU also has much more bargaining power than just the UK. 

Oh I know that, but if we don't trust them in this instance, why should we in that?

1 minute ago, LiberalFox said:

So could 27 other countries, which is why the EU can't make agreements.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

But being in the EU doesn't just mean accepting their rules on trade, they have control on large chunks of our lives. A FTA with any country won't lead to that.

Well if we have an FTA with the US and that means we lower food standards/remove regulations, that is no different to the EU imposing its food regulations on us currently. Our government is still limited in what it can do.

And that was the original point, the sovereignty/control argument is nonsense when you have to make concessions for FTAs. Okay we will have control over some stuff again, but we haven't taken back control really.

1 minute ago, KingGTF said:

Well if we have an FTA with the US and that means we lower food standards/remove regulations, that is no different to the EU imposing its food regulations on us currently. Our government is still limited in what it can do.

And that was the original point, the sovereignty/control argument is nonsense when you have to make concessions for FTAs. Okay we will have control over some stuff again, but we haven't taken back control really.

It is different to the EU imposing things on us. The EU could change the terms at anytime and we would have very little sway. This would be an agreement by both sides and if either side wanted to change, it would have to have a mutual agreement to do so.

1 minute ago, KingGTF said:

But we won't have to accept FoM with a deal with the US, we won't have to pay the US £10 billion  a year, we won't have countless directives telling us how many hours we can work , what our farmers can grow etc. As for lower food standards, that's just speculation.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It is different to the EU imposing things on us. The EU could change the terms at anytime and we would have very little sway. This would be an agreement by both sides and if either side wanted to change, it would have to have a mutual agreement to do so.

They can't. Anything that would change the treaties can be vetoed.

They can't. Anything that would change the treaties can be vetoed.

What if we want to change the treaties and another country doesn't?

Just now, Webbo said:

What if we want to change the treaties and another country doesn't?

Then we can't change the treaties. You can't have a system where national governments have primacy and also expect the supranational government to be agile.