Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

1 minute ago, pSinatra said:

077_zps29736347.jpg

032_zpsc228e33a.jpg

074_zps541aff00.jpg

I've got a 15ft wall, one side of my garden with honey bees living in a small hole just above head height.  They've been there years, but one afternoon they all went ape shit & there were thousands of the things everywhere.  Like something out of a horror movie.  It's a bit of a pisser that there's all that honey & I can't get to it.

We had a swarm in the garden last year (I posted picture on here somewhere) but they moved on after a few weeks.

We now have a nest of the them in a house we made for hedgehogs. I guess it's a beehive now.

This was just outside my side gate the other day. Unfortunately though it was brown bread.

A few years ago found an alive one in the garden.

Saw a Heron outside my back window last year, really close, looked like a dinosaur that close up.

Last week a sparrowhawk swooped and took a small blackbird away.

IMG_0645.JPG

3 hours ago, pSinatra said:

I've got a 15ft wall, one side of my garden with honey bees living in a small hole just above head height.  They've been there years, but one afternoon they all went ape shit & there were thousands of the things everywhere.  Like something out of a horror movie.  It's a bit of a pisser that there's all that honey & I can't get to it.

You should consider putting a man-made hive in the garden, make those bees pay for their rent.

10 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

GREAT THREAD

got really into wildlife this past year, now got into photography. Plenty of birdfeeders (seeds, peanuts and fat balls) in the garden now but not many takers. Anyone got any tips?

An addendum to what I said before:

You probably know this, Sharpey, but in case you don't,  it's really important to disinfect your bird feeders/trays in between refills, otherwise you risk killing the birdlife with salmonella poisoning. It goes without saying you should thoroughly wash your hands after, too.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

I would never go into the garden again if I saw a snake there. 

Haven't got a garden where I live but I live close-by to some forests and fields with a bunch of things, including beavers. 

beavers = stacks of other animals that thrive in the habitat they provide. Beavers are a biodiversity dream dude

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

beavers = stacks of other animals that thrive in the habitat they provide. Beavers are a biodiversity dream dude

Yeah, I love them. I should wake up early and try to see them in action. Always wished they had stuff like beavers around Leicestershire. 

Edited by lgfualol

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Yeah, I love them. I should wake up early and try to see them in action. Always wished they had stuff like beavers around Leicestershire. 

Maybe soon. Beavers have been reintroduced in Devon and Cornwall as well as Scotland recently. Otters are now in every county in England now so maybe we'll see a similar story for beavers.

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

Maybe soon. Beavers have been reintroduced in Devon and Cornwall as well as Scotland recently. Otters are now in every county in England now so maybe we'll see a similar story for beavers.

I didn't know about the otters - that is awesome. Bring back bears. 

The brook that goes through Broughton Astley used to be brilliant for aquatic wildlife. We used to get bullhead fish (which I think were protected at one point?) in there and loads of crayfish, as well as migrating little egrets. However, large parts are hugely overgrown now, limiting the the water speed etc and so taking some animals out of the equation. However, this has led to other animals finding homes or passing through. There's strong signs of water voles along the overgrown banks and last summer there was evidence and droppings from otters passing through.

I bloody love nature, I do.

11 hours ago, Buce said:

An addendum to what I said before:

You probably know this, Sharpey, but in case you don't,  it's really important to disinfect your bird feeders/trays in between refills, otherwise you risk killing the birdlife with salmonella poisoning. It goes without saying you should thoroughly wash your hands after, too.

Never heard of that one Bucey ...    No 'old country folk' I know do it but appreciate that you've probably found it on the internet and it might be best practice.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

They really need looking after and given somewhere safe to stay ...    Unfortunately badgers, which are highly protected and greatly increasing in numbers, feed on them.  

We had two that over-wintered in a box we provided, and we have two more visiting now for the meal worms we put down.

Oddly, our cat is fascinated by them; she sits and waits by the hole in the fence until they come, then follows them about. When they stop to eat she just lays down near them and watches them. Sometimes, if we put the food down too early, we have magpies coming down after it and the cat chases them off. Really weird.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Never heard of that one Bucey ...    No 'old country folk' I know do it but appreciate that you've probably found it on the internet and it might be best practice.

It's advice given on the RSPB website, CF.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/read-and-learn/helping-birds/feeding/hygiene.aspx

http://www.wild-scotland.org.uk/2010/04/keep-your-bird-feeders-clean/

Edited by Buce

20 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Bit of both. I take some out the feeder and put it on the bird table. The feeders are off the ground and in the open. There are a few cats in the neighbourhood.

Not too in the open Sharpey, birds like a nice tree or bush close by to dart into if they think they may be in danger ..    Sparrowhawks,cats, corvids etc ....     A bird bath close by may help and always keep the feeding going, especially now when young are around so that they become use to it.   I mainly stick to a couple of big bags (cheaper) of nuts (in a squirrel proof feeder) and niger seeds. 

Try to discourage cats as best you can ...   Put stuff down they don't like the smell of, throw a stick, shout whatever ...

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Fair enough ..  My food always goes quick and I don't really get much build up of crap ...    I just hose underneath about once a week.  It does sound sensible if slightly OTT ....   but good practice !!   :thumbup:

Just now, Countryfox said:

Fair enough ..  My food always goes quick and I don't really get much build up of crap ...    I just hose underneath about once a week.  It does sound sensible if slightly OTT ....   but good practice !!   :thumbup:

Dont really want it to be a chore which stops people feeding ...    If in a rush just get the food out !

13 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Dont really want it to be a chore which stops people feeding ...    If in a rush just get the food out !

I do have one problem you might be able to help with.

A couple of the local magpies have worked out how to perch on the bird feeders; I don't mind feeding them but they can empty one in a couple of hours. Any ideas how to deter them?