Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Motorway lessons for learner drivers confirmed for 2018

Learner drivers in England, Wales and Scotland will be allowed to have lessons on the motorway by next year, the government has announced.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said lessons would be in a dual-control car with an approved driving instructor.

Currently only those who have passed their test can drive on a motorway, but in 2015 the DfT said it would consider a law change.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said the lessons would make UK roads safer.

He said: "Allowing learners to drive on motorways in a supportive environment will help them develop a practical understanding of how to use motorways safely before driving independently."

Road deaths link

Mr Grayling said young drivers were more likely to be killed or seriously injured on Britain's roads - and a lack of experience was an "important factor".

"The UK has some of safest roads in the world and we want to make them even safer," he said.

There were 1,810 deaths on UK roads in the year to September 2016, in line with the previous year, according to provisional estimatespublished by the DfT.

In 2015, a DfT policy document suggested motorway lessons alongside a number of proposals, including increasing penalty points for using a mobile phone while driving and a £2m research programme to improve safety for inexperienced drivers.

12 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The easiest roads on the whole network.

If you have confidence with speed, lane selection and using your mirrors.

id rather they passed their tests and had to wait 6 months before going on the motorway having had one advanced lesson in that time.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

id rather they passed their tests and had to wait 6 months before going on the motorway having had one advanced lesson in that time.

You don't need too on our motorways :whistle: 

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You don't need too on our motorways :whistle: 

Too right.

It took me 10.5 hours to drive the 300 miles home yesterday, and four of those hours were on 100 miles or so spent on the M5.

31 minutes ago, Buce said:

Too right.

It took me 10.5 hours to drive the 300 miles home yesterday, and four of those hours were on 100 miles or so spent on the M5.

My work involves traveling around and over the years I've had to set off earlier and earlier for most journeys :nono: 

4 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Oh god if I got stuck behind a learner going down a slip road I'd be having kittens

I'll just be screaming ACCELERATE ACCELERATE

I'm not sure it's learners you have to fear in that regard. There seems to be a multitude of qualified drivers that fail to grasp the purpose of a slip road is for you to accelerate to the same speed as the traffic on the motorway. When I was learning my instructor insisted I hammer it up to 70 as fast as possible going down the slip road to join a dual carriageway.

Great idea and about bloody time ...    Too many tw@ts out there that hold people up and put lives in danger.   I swear some have no idea how to drive correctly on a motorway ...    Have they even passed their test ?? ...    Did someone pass it for them ????     

I would have the instructor take them out several times and show them exactly how it should be done ...   Etiquette, the middle lane problem, what a blind spot is, keeping up with the flow, tailgating, etc etc etc ....    Then, at certain times (perhaps when traffic is light) take the learner out .... They should have a minimum mileage requirement to achieve and build up to busier and busier situations ...      

And while I'm at it ....     there should be dedicated motorway cops that can issue on the spot fines for speeding and dangerous or inconsiderate driving ...     It would be self funding !   Give me a fookin blue light and I'd be a millionaire by the end of the year ....

With motorways packed as much as they are and the insidel lane full of lorries I'm not sure why so many of you are amaffected by these so called middle lane drivers as most motorway stretches are virtually dual carriage ways.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

With motorways packed as much as they are and the insidel lane full of lorries I'm not sure why so many of you are amaffected by these so called middle lane drivers as most motorway stretches are virtually dual carriage ways.

Thats just it ...   It's when they are not packed and some tw@t sits in the middle lane when the near side one is free and makes everyone go round him or her ....   

Just now, Countryfox said:

Thats just it ...   It's when they are not packed and some tw@t sits in the middle lane when the near side one is free and makes everyone go round him or her ....   

Not that i use the MWs much but i rarely see this happening, maybe in the past.

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

If they are in the proper joint controlled cars I've got no problem with this whatsoever. Should do huge amounts of good.

I doubt it, I'm not sure people who behave cùntish on motorways, would have improved by having had a lesson on one. The main issues on the road isnt skill or know how, it's behaviour imo.

I can understand why people stay in the middle lane. I hit cruise control at 70, move in between the first two lanes, occasionally the outside lane and sometimes I'm sat in the inside lane heading up to a lorry, so indicate to move out and the guy to my immediate right just stays there. He could move to the outside lane but it's like he is taking pleasure from me applying my brakes. So next time a gap to move inside comes up, I'm reluctant.

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I can understand why people stay in the middle lane. I hit cruise control at 70, move in between the first two lanes, occasionally the outside lane and sometimes I'm sat in the inside lane heading up to a lorry, so indicate to move out and the guy to my immediate right just stays there. He could move to the outside lane but it's like he is taking pleasure from me applying my brakes. So next time a gap to move inside comes up, I'm reluctant.

Also moving in and out of the inside lane with lorries everywhere must increase the risk of a collision.

42 minutes ago, davieG said:

Also moving in and out of the inside lane with lorries everywhere must increase the risk of a collision.

For me, I prefer it, It keeps me alert. If I'm in the same lane, doing the same speed for a prolonged period, I find myself in autopilot mode, which is quite dangerous too.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

For me, I prefer it, It keeps me alert. If I'm in the same lane, doing the same speed for a prolonged period, I find myself in autopilot mode, which is quite dangerous too.

Oh I agree I like to move in and out periodically but it has to be worthwhile with a reasonable gap to travel a distance in.

9 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Oh god if I got stuck behind a learner going down a slip road I'd be having kittens

I'll just be screaming ACCELERATE ACCELERATE

Reminded me that the M1 NB entry slip road at J21 was designed by a madman.  Apparently with the intention of killing people.

Uphill. Hardly any run-on space. You get stuck behind a slow driver or if there is no space to pull on, you are in trouble.

I'm a very experienced driver and drive a lot for work.  Every time I go on at that junction I crap myself.  God knows what it's like for learners.

I actually prefer the massive numbers of lanes and right hand entry slips on motorways in Glasgow.

59 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Reminded me that the M1 NB entry slip road at J21 was designed by a madman.  Apparently with the intention of killing people...

Also designed when the country wasn't so rammed with people. I'll warrant the problems you mention weren't such an issue when it originally opened. The entire notion of slip roads becomes much less forgiving of mistakes, and far more reliant on goodwill and good sense as you cram more traffic onto the roads.

1 minute ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

You could do u-turns and people were seen picnicking at the sides of the m1 when it first opened in Leicestershire. You could get in and out of the LFE Service Station without going on the motorway, it was the go-to place after all the pubs shut at 11 in the City.

Archived