Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

The Great Universe Debate

Getting into quite a heated debate with some strangers on the internet, so i figured i'd try to inject some intellectual conversation on here to distract us from the sh*tstorm going on at Belvoir Drive this morning.

What are your theories on the universe? Common theories include it being infinite, part of a multiverse, saddle shaped, etc...

The idea of infinite really messes with my head, as a species we have created so many constructs of measurement and placed limits on everything that to have something that is immeasurable and limitless is just such a difficult concept to get your head round. Then again we didn't create the universe, so why should it be within our scope of understanding. Any explanation is beyond anything we can imagine. The only theory I have that is outside what people normally talk about is that in whatever environment the big bang happened there are many other reactions happening that create other distinct universes (not multiverses). It is possible that within this universe there are many similar reactions happening all the time, with less energy, not all become universes but some do and within them more are created. At some point there is an event that triggers the collapse of this universe and all internal universes and subsequently the higher level universe that we came from and whatever created that.

The problem with all creation theories is that at some point there must have been something created from nothing, or there has always been something and always will, but that is still a massive headfvck. The big bang just makes measuring our universe feasible, but what was before the big bang?

Suddenly all my problems seem a little smaller...

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The idea of infinite really messes with my head, as a species we have created so many constructs of measurement and placed limits on everything that to have something that is immeasurable and limitless is just such a difficult concept to get your head round. Then again we didn't create the universe, so why should it be within our scope of understanding. Any explanation is beyond anything we can imagine. The only theory I have that is outside what people normally talk about is that in whatever environment the big bang happened there are many other reactions happening that create other distinct universes (not multiverses). It is possible that within this universe there are many similar reactions happening all the time, with less energy, not all become universes but some do and within them more are created. At some point there is an event that triggers the collapse of this universe and all internal universes and subsequently the higher level universe that we came from and whatever created that.

The problem with all creation theories is that at some point there must have been something created from nothing, or there has always been something and always will, but that is still a massive headfvck. The big bang just makes measuring our universe feasible, but what was before the big bang?

Suddenly all my problems seem a little smaller...

Pretty much, word for word, exactly how i feel. I could have arguments with myself on the universe.

How can anything be infinite? It can't just keep going. But at the same time, it can't just stop. If it stops, whats on the other side? There can't just be nothing :frantics:

2 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Pretty much, word for word, exactly how i feel. I could have arguments with myself on the universe.

How can anything be infinite? It can't just keep going. But at the same time, it can't just stop. If it stops, whats on the other side? There can't just be nothing :frantics:

Have you read A Brief History Of Time?

It addresses these questions.

Edited by Buce

If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?

Let's say that the universe is a thing of (expanding) finite size, expanding into infinite space (which is a separate entity). Let's also say that the creation event occurred when a certain set of physics based laws converged to allow the precise conditions required to create the universe.

So if SPACE is infinite in time and size, then even if the creation conditions occur once in a billion years in any given area of SPACE, then UNIVERSES will be being created somewhere all the time.

Imagine that the King Power Stadium is section of SPACE and a football represents our UNIVERSE, then in my mind at least, it is perfectly conceivable that there can be lots of UNIVERSES in SPACE.

Nature suggests that if things can happen once, it can happen again.  With infinite time and space, it will be happening all the time in lots of locations.

Was the universe created infinitely, if it does end what is at the end of it! what was before the big bang! are we alone in the universe! why have a vast universe where there is only life on one small planet! there are so many questions that will probably go unanswered forever! but those questions drive our thirst for knowledge on space and why we send probes to the far reaches of the solar system and beyond!

6 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Was the universe created infinitely, if it does end what is at the end of it! what was before the big bang! are we alone in the universe! why have a vast universe where there is only life on one small planet! there are so many questions that will probably go unanswered forever! but those questions drive our thirst for knowledge on space and why we send probes to the far reaches of the solar system and beyond!

I don't understand why some people think that ours is the only planet with any life on it. As you said, vast universe. There's a near infinite number of planets out there. there must be trillions of planets with some form of life out there. Some must be nothing more than pond life, others perhaps far more advanced than us. The possibilities are truly baffling

I'm fascinated with the universe and space exploration. So many questions, so much to answer. It's a shame that in my lifetime and many generations to come, some things will not be answered. Many things will possibly go unanswered forever.

We have discovered so much but so very little in a short period of time of true exploration,. Imagine where our understanding would be if religion didn't cause such delays.

The concept and theories of time I find very fascinating. Watching Interstellar previously, I know its only a film, but some of the events would have true effects, such as when they go to a planet on the edge of a black hole. 1 hour there results in 30+ years on earth due to the gravity. It's fascinating.

16 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I don't understand why some people think that ours is the only planet with any life on it. As you said, vast universe. There's a near infinite number of planets out there. there must be trillions of planets with some form of life out there. Some must be nothing more than pond life, others perhaps far more advanced than us. The possibilities are truly baffling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

21 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Me neither, the chances of us being the only life in the universe are about a zillion to one.

37 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

well, a thing doesn't have to exist just because, until there is a proof that a solid, serviceable planet with confirmed life (not just water or plants, but intelligent creatures) you can't just say "well, the possibilities are almost infinite so it must be there", that's the difference between just a scenario, a theory if you like to call it that and facts.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, the fox said:

tbh, i'm more fascinated with time and how fragile it is, just doing a thing a split second early or late will diside how your life (and the people that you interact with, and the people they interact with) goes.

Like the Adrien Silva transfer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

tbh, i'm more fascinated with time and how fragile it is, just doing a thing a split second early or late will diside decide how your life (and the people that you interact with, and the people they interact with) goes.

Not being pedantic, Foxy - I know English isn't your first language.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, the fox said:

tbh, i'm more fascinated with time and how fragile it is, just doing a thing a split second early or late will diside how your life (and the people that you interact with, and the people they interact with) goes.

That's not really time being fragile, just the endless possibilities and consequences of everyone's actions. If you stopped and thought about it you would never get anything done. The trick is to learn how to ride out the consequences with style, and know when to get off.

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

That's not really time being fragile, just the endless possibilities and consequences of everyone's actions. If you stopped and thought about it you would never get anything done. The trick is to learn how to ride out the consequences with style, and know when to get off.

maybe the word "flexible" was more appropriate. and like you said, if you keep thinking about what could've been, you will be filled with regret.

@leicsmac you're my new favourite person.

I do have one question on the multiverse theory... What's in the gaps between the many universes? there cant just be nothingness, but if there is something connecting the universes, would that not make them one big universe?

My head hurts.