Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

RimWorld

@Haydos @Carl the Llama @stripeyfox @Beliall @Uranyl Yellow

Any RimWorlders? It's been on my steam wishlist since I first saw it but unfortunately read an article on RPS about some of the gender roles in the game which lead me to discovering that the game's creator is a complete dick and it put me off. 

But I'm bored at the moment so I took the plunge and it's one of the most ridiculously addictive things I've played.

Tagged some if you in this because I know you loved Banished or some kickstarted indie games with a similar feel and it's very, very much in the mold. 

I feel I'm a bit late to the party so I'm guessing some of you are going to have some RimWorld stories already. If not, get on it. Highly recommend. 

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Any RimWorlders? It's been on my steam wishlist since I first saw it but unfortunately read an article on RPS about some of the gender roles in the game which lead me to discovering that the game's creator is a complete dick and it put me off. 

But I'm bored at the moment so I took the plunge and it's one of the most ridiculously addictive things I've played.

Tagged some if you in this because I know you loved Banished or some kickstarted indie games with a similar feel and it's very, very much in the mold. 

I feel I'm a bit late to the party so I'm guessing some of you are going to have some RimWorld stories already. If not, get on it. Highly recommend. 

I've been following this game for a while. It looks good, but I've not taken the plunge yet! 

Probably will do at some point though, especially with your recommendation.

Is it hard?

38 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I've been following this game for a while. It looks good, but I've not taken the plunge yet! 

Probably will do at some point though, especially with your recommendation.

Is it hard?

The difficulty varies enormously depending on how you set up. 

There are three "story tellers" (the AI that creates random events) with three different styles. One makes gradually more challenging events in the standard style, one gives you random events but with a huge cool down to recover and the third is just totally random. 

On top of that you've then got five or six different difficulty levels to tweak the level of challenge. At the easiest end it's very casual, at the hardest it's absurd. 

The best thing about it though is that it's graphically so simple that it's very, very easy for the guy to code millions of different variable events. 

You'll cruise through three or four days thinking it's a breeze, a bit slow (a la Banished) and wondering what all the fuss is about. 

But then your colonists might include a psychopath starting fights with your chef who keeps giving everyone food poisoning or a pyromaniac who keeps freaking out and trying to burn down your storage room because he's jealous someone else has a nicer bedroom and he's got a short temper. 

Your best and most intelligent researcher might decide they're too smart to muck in and do some manual labour but your muscle / miner might have had his arm chewed off by a gang of angry beavers who you had to take out to stop them eating all your lumber and he waded in to melee combat with them all because he doesn't like guns. 

Your doctor failed to save his arm because you've run out of real medicine and a frost just took out your herb garden and before you know it there's nobody around who can drag lumber back to base in time to refill your generators. 

The power goes out, your freezer units go down, the rest of your food goes bad, the cold snap drives the doc crazy and he takes a shotgun to the chef who stabs him in the hand and severs his fingers. 

They both get an infection because your hospital is filthy and the researcher refuses to clean it and you've run out of antibiotics and it's at that exact moment that a bunch of pirate raiders turn up looking for slaves. 

You get the picture. I suppose that's another way in which it's similar to Banished, how things can snowball very quickly from "I got this" to "oh shi-". 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Can't say I'd even heard of it before. I might give it a look. I'm playing Thea at the moment, but it is annoying me somewhat so a new distraction would be welcome.

Archived