Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Walsh5

Daniel Shaver

I can see why the police officer shot him to be fair. They were responding to reports of a guy waving a gun outside a hotel window, and he did reach back as if reaching for a gun. Clearly the whole issue is another example of how absolutely insane America has become, but I'm not sure the individual officer is really to blame.

Edited by Rogstanley

5 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I can see why the police officer shot him to be fair. They were responding to reports of a guy waving a gun outside a hotel window, and he did reach back as if reaching for a gun. Clearly the whole issue is another example of how absolutely insane America has become, but I'm not sure the individual officer is really to blame.

Don’t you think the two officers had multiple opportunities to cuff the guy when he was on the ground?

8 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Don’t you think the two officers had multiple opportunities to cuff the guy when he was on the ground?

I think they thought there was another person in the room, that's why they made the two move towards them away from the door, rather than the officers moving towards the door.

Not denying it's a ridiculous response, and that the officer came across like an angsty 15 year old getting his first taste of power, but for placing blame I think you've got to look at how a situation like that was allowed to happen in the first place, and that's all about their gun laws and police culture.

Edited by Rogstanley

Learned long ago not to watch these American cop videos. As someone 1) not in the police force and 2) not in the USA, it's impossible for me to view these things as an American cop. There's practically a gun for every us citizen and a cop dies on average every 3 days in the line of duty. That's got to mess with your head, every person you arrest is a danger and you have to be on the edge of readiness, only takes a split second to get shot. 

The guy clearly didn't deserve to die from what I've heard, but it is SO easy to say that after the fact. 

18 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

shooting him five times though. To say it was OTT would be an understatement. Why not just shoot him once to disable him? i'm sure there's parts of the body you can shoot (if you really felt the need to pull the trigger) so that you can stop someone aiming for a gun if you really think that's what they were doing. Shooting him 5 times says to me he wanted a kill that night and this was his opportunity. He had no remorse by the sounds of it judging by what was said in the article 'if I had to go through it all again I'd do nothing different'. 

The number of times US cops shoot unarmed civilians is just frightening. Even when they're not shooting, then I'm sure we're all seen videos of them pointing loaded weapons at people just to get them to stop walking away or talking back etc. I'm thankful that our own police force operates - for the most part - without acting as if they are the law. It seems like a mad, mad country over there.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

shooting him five times though. To say it was OTT would be an understatement. Why not just shoot him once to disable him? i'm sure there's parts of the body you can shoot (if you really felt the need to pull the trigger) so that you can stop someone aiming for a gun if you really think that's what they were doing. Shooting him 5 times says to me he wanted a kill that night and this was his opportunity. He had no remorse by the sounds of it judging by what was said in the article 'if I had to go through it all again I'd do nothing different'. 

Do police shoot to kill or wound?

The official policy says firearms officers “shoot to incapacitate”. They are trained to target the centre of the chest as the quickest way to “neutralise” a suspect, even though it is highly likely that this will kill.

The idea that officers will shoot to wound is dismissed because it is felt that it places the public and officers in too much danger.

That's from a story about UK armed officers. 

11 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Do police shoot to kill or wound?

The official policy says firearms officers “shoot to incapacitate”. They are trained to target the centre of the chest as the quickest way to “neutralise” a suspect, even though it is highly likely that this will kill.

The idea that officers will shoot to wound is dismissed because it is felt that it places the public and officers in too much danger.

That's from a story about UK armed officers. 

UK Police shoot as a last resort. against armed targets. If you're waving a gun about you deserve to get shot by police

Edited by Beliall

8 minutes ago, Ross-Kemp said:

UK armed officers are trained to incapacitate.

US police aren't.

US police are trained to shoot until the threat stops. It's exactly the same thing. Think our armed police responding to those knife attacks in London were thinking "maybe just 1 bullet lads"? 

26 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

US police are trained to shoot until the threat stops. It's exactly the same thing. Think our armed police responding to those knife attacks in London were thinking "maybe just 1 bullet lads"? 

In the UK every time a police officer discharges a weapon it is immediately referred to the IPCC for independent investigation.

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

In the UK every time a police officer discharges a weapon it is immediately referred to the IPCC for independent investigation.

Of course it is, because thankfully the amount of times our police discharge a weapon are very rare. 

Now hypothetically put enough guns into the UK so that every man and woman can have one, do you think our police would still be able to work without weapons? No, of course not. So then the amount of times police have to use such force would skyrocket. And while the ipcc investigations would be morally correct, I highly doubt they would be economically feasible. Only have to glance at that duggan (I think it was duggan?) case to realise just how much one of these investigations could cost. And at the end of it all, all it did was make people trust the police less, as people didn't think the ipcc were impartial to begin with. 

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Of course it is, because thankfully the amount of times our police discharge a weapon are very rare. 

Now hypothetically put enough guns into the UK so that every man and woman can have one, do you think our police would still be able to work without weapons? No, of course not. So then the amount of times police have to use such force would skyrocket. And while the ipcc investigations would be morally correct, I highly doubt they would be economically feasible. Only have to glance at that duggan (I think it was duggan?) case to realise just how much one of these investigations could cost. And at the end of it all, all it did was make people trust the police less, as people didn't think the ipcc were impartial to begin with. 

That wasn't the point I was making. I have no doubt that in terrorist incidents the police unofficially shoot to kill but officers do have to protect themselves because an investigation will follow. It would only take body cams and internal investigators to at least place a little more scrutiny on US cops. Also, if they were actually held to account when we see blatant examples of police brutality go unpunished perhaps there would be a deterrent effect. I'm not suggesting a full IPCC style investigation, just some sense that US police aren't actually above the law. Granted, as you say, US gun rules are absolutely nuts in the first place. 

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

The number of times US cops shoot unarmed civilians is just frightening. Even whey they're not sitting then I'm sure we're all seen videos of them pointing loaded weapons at poodle just to get them to stop walking or talking back etc. I'm thankful that our own police force operates - for the most part - without acting as if they are the law. It seems like a mad, mad country over there.

The US police shoot... TALKING POODLES... from a sitting position??

Now that really is morally wrong.

• Haha 1

The guy calling the shots is a Sergeant next to an officer's POV who shoots. You can see why they've pulled the trigger after he put his hand back on his waistband but the rest of the scene is an ugly tragedy.

The orders are unclear and overly complicated for a life or death situation, the only clarity the poor bloke has on the floor is that he's a moment away from death as he sobs, awkwardly trying to figure out if he's crawling across the floor with his hands on his head correctly. It seems like an evil high stakes game of twister.

Happens far too often over there, varieties of situations like the officer who was called to a property and went into the garden with no sign of anyone there, called some puppies over that were in the garden and straight up shot them on bodycam. That black dude struggling on the floor with three or so policemen who gets a Glock pressed to his chest and killed. Just some of the stuff that was recorded.

It's not like it's the only country where it happens but they set a pretty f***ed example.

6 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Just watched the video of a unarmed American man being shot in cold blood by a police officer. Made my stomach turn watching it as he executed for no reason. 

I won’t post the video as it is very distressing to watch. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-42277309

Totally and utterly wrong.  I can't think of even the slightest reason why they riddled him with bullets.  Reaching for a gun my arse. The guy was being overwhelmed with instructions and was clearly terrified.   So glad I don't live there ...    And with an absolute looney in charge things will probably get worse.

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

That's not how a policeman is trained. You are told to shoot to kill, and at the torso because it's the biggest target.

Regardless of what the public are told this is the fact of it.

Guest seanfox778

Quite a chilling video, you don’t normally see anything quite like that. Surely the cop could’ve waited till he drew a weapon before he fired but it’s easy to say that not being in the situation. Just sad.