Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

The problem is the only way we know how to penetrate the box is on the counter attack at place. We've had this problem for years. It's not new. We are absolutely hopeless at trying to find a way through in high possession situations. Slimani isn't the key to unlock our problem. He stands off defenders back to goal and wanders towards the ball allowing the defense to push up. He's not on the shoulder looking for that through ball or cross, doesn't drag defenders around, and isn't looking to bring teammates into play. He's a big man with a great forehead but he rarely plays like it. All those that are saying he just needs more service are overlooking what he isn't doing is contributing to our high possession problem. In 180' against Fleetwood we had 60 and 70% possession and hit the target 3 times. We needed the counter attack and pace to bail us out in the replay for our 2 goals. (I know the third shot came from Gray but I can't find a clip of the situation.) Slimani played 136' of this. 1 shot on target. Not a high possession striker.

1 hour ago, NewEnglandFox said:

The problem is the only way we know how to penetrate the box is on the counter attack at place. We've had this problem for years. It's not new. We are absolutely hopeless at trying to find a way through in high possession situations. Slimani isn't the key to unlock our problem. He stands off defenders back to goal and wanders towards the ball allowing the defense to push up. He's not on the shoulder looking for that through ball or cross, doesn't drag defenders around, and isn't looking to bring teammates into play. He's a big man with a great forehead but he rarely plays like it. All those that are saying he just needs more service are overlooking what he isn't doing is contributing to our high possession problem. In 180' against Fleetwood we had 60 and 70% possession and hit the target 3 times. We needed the counter attack and pace to bail us out in the replay for our 2 goals. (I know the third shot came from Gray but I can't find a clip of the situation.) Slimani played 136' of this. 1 shot on target. Not a high possession striker.

Look at his plays in Sporting, we played possession based and he was a machine.

22 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Once upon a time, in another team, another league

Maybe he'll become a machine again for Besiktas or whoever signs him next. Moving on is in his best interest now as well in the club's. He'll be 30 in the summer and another few months of warming the bench for Vards Shinji or Nacho will diminish his value even further.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Once upon a time, in another team, another league

Maybe he'll become a machine again for Besiktas or whoever signs him next. Moving on is in his best interest now as well in the club's. He'll be 30 in the summer and another few months of warming the bench for Vards Shinji or Nacho will diminish his value even further.

Agreed. I was just saying he was great at Sporting and we played possession based.

On 1/18/2018 at 21:28, Eagle10 said:

38 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

He is a machine here too.... one that flushes.

I lived in Portugal during Slimani time there. He was as you say a very good striker. However there are only pretty much 4 decent sides in the league (The big 3 and Braga ). His goal record can never be questioned and he was the best striker in Portugal during his final season, for me. 

He does have a terrible first touch though. But I don't think he has been given a fair chance, he is never going to start ahead of Vardy so at best he will get 10 minutes a game when Vards is fit. Never easy to get confidence when doing that. Look at Lacazzette all his confidence from start of season has gone and he plays far more than Slimani. Against Huddersfield at home Slimani was very good. Did everything we would want a target man striker to do, his finish was superb. Imagine if Kane / Sanchez or Hazard scored with a finish like that MOTD and pundits would never stop talking about it. With a good run in the team he would be a decent prem striker capable of doing well for any team 8th or below. Difficulty for us is he cost a lot of money so to have him on the bench and playing little does not make sense. To recoup close to what we paid will probably be the best for both Leicester and Slimani where he will play more regularly. 

1 minute ago, HKFox said:

I lived in Portugal during Slimani time there. He was as you say a very good striker. However there are only pretty much 4 decent sides in the league (The big 3 and Braga ). His goal record can never be questioned and he was the best striker in Portugal during his final season, for me. 

He does have a terrible first touch though. But I don't think he has been given a fair chance, he is never going to start ahead of Vardy so at best he will get 10 minutes a game when Vards is fit. Never easy to get confidence when doing that. Look at Lacazzette all his confidence from start of season has gone and he plays far more than Slimani. Against Huddersfield at home Slimani was very good. Did everything we would want a target man striker to do, his finish was superb. Imagine if Kane / Sanchez or Hazard scored with a finish like that MOTD and pundits would never stop talking about it. With a good run in the team he would be a decent prem striker capable of doing well for any team 8th or below. Difficulty for us is he cost a lot of money so to have him on the bench and playing little does not make sense. To recoup close to what we paid will probably be the best for both Leicester and Slimani where he will play more regularly. 

He improved it a lot to be honest. Still has some shady touches, but most of the time he can control the ball.

Edited by Eagle10

36 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

He improved it a lot to be honest. Still has some shady touches, but most of the time he can control the ball.

He has improved as you say. I just think for 30 million he should be able to get the ball under control wit his first touch or his lay off should be accurate. Too many times it goes away from him and he loses the ball. I think he will be a decent striker in the Prem if he gets a run of games. Surprisingly, he is not even on bench today so potentially he will be moving on. 

I have no bones to pick with Slimani...

If Slimani, had played 12 games more and scored 8 goals more...

We still paid too much for him 30mil .was ridiculous.

That said our coaching staff and managers had no idea how to integrate him into the team.

Unlike the big clubs, we had no idea how to build different formations, with varying attacking options.

For Puel, it could be with Slimani that last bus has gone.but Claude has shown he can be flexable.

Ranieri tried, but with him our midfield was too much on the backfoot, non of our forwards had anything to feed off.

Shakespeare, just had no imagination..end of !!

Imo, he could of been a very good PL striker.When he had bad games, I believe he was expected to play out of his

comfort zone, and area strengths, more than the opposition forced him into them.