Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Isn’t your bit in capitals exactly what I’m saying?

Under three successive managers, the clubs record striker (record signing) hasn’t played more than 2 successive games.

Did anyone genuinely believe that when City went out and spent so much money on a player who had a top reputation in Portugal, we’d be sat here today writing that he’s never played more than 2 consecutive games for the club?

If that doesn’t constitute ‘the wrong signing’ then what does? Apart from Musa of course. As Gerard said above...even worse....

When seen from this point of view, of course it's one of the worst signings. he's undoubtedly a misfit.

But that's not my point. You're questioning his abilities and how he didn't knock off Vardy, but he was bound to lose because he never was meant to be played as the first striker. You just can't put the blame on him. You and others are expecting him to surpass Vardy whilst playing bit of games here and then. It ain't gonna happen, unless the guy is Ronaldo (the real one). And you won't get Ronaldo for 30M nowadays. 

Strikers need to time to bed in and above everything else to be played to their strenghts. He got neither but people still expecting from him to net every single chance just because he cost 30M. And that's insane.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

When seen from this point of view, of course it's one of the worst signings. he's undoubtedly a misfit.

But that's not my point. You're questioning his abilities and how he didn't knock off Vardy, but he was bound to lose because he never was meant to be played as the first striker. You just can't put the blame on him. You and others are expecting him to surpass Vardy whilst playing bit of games here and then. It ain't gonna happen, unless the guy is Ronaldo (the real one). And you won't get Ronaldo for 30M nowadays. 

Strikers need to time to bed in and above everything else to be played to their strenghts. He got neither but people still expecting from him to net every single chance just because he cost 30M. And that's insane.

I think we’re saying pretty much the same things actually mate.

I don’t think Slim is a bad player at all. I’m sure I’ve written before that he has this knack of scoring goals even when he looks to be ‘off form’. 

But he’s never seemed to ‘fit’ at City has he? And that’s not only under one manager, it’s under three.

In this way, he’s been a bad signing for the club surely? I didn’t know myself that he’s not played more than 2 consecutive games for us. That’s a stat that tells it’s own story.

The question now is do we keep him IF there are decent offers for him?

Personally I’d sell him. I think Kelechi has got real promise, he’s much younger and Shinji generally plays before Slim anyway.

• Like 1

I quite like Slimani, but for a £25m-£30m striker, he does tend to have teflon feet. 

His first touch is often poor and with premier league defenders in such close proximity, he does lose the ball too often. One good half of hold up play this season is poor return for the outlay. Unfortunately Nacho has similar problems shielding the ball, but he is young and strong and should learn this art. 

If Slim is happy to stay as a squad player, I would keep him on as he does have some decent moments, but if he goes, won't lose too much sleep. 

9 hours ago, FIF said:

I admit I'm a fan of Slimani. I even like the fact that he waves his arms and shows his disgust at players during the game when they make useless passes or don't pass to open players. There's way too much of this clapping a shit pass because the "intention" was good. It's the premier league not Sunday football. Slimani is a very underrated passer and he is unselfish. I'd think he is a great teammate when players get used to his style. He does show a bad first touch sometimes and his shooting is seriously poor on occasion but I put that down, partly, to not getting assured playing time so snatching or panicking a bit because he thinks he needs a goal on every touch (like Gray sometimes). He is a completely different player to Vardy and Shinji so not a replacement which means that we have to change our style if he's the focal point. I actually think he'd be a good player in behind Vardy if our midfield shows that it is good enough to run the pitch and make up for Shinji's absence. 

He's a keeper for me.

He would probably be better off in that position!

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think we’re saying pretty much the same things actually mate.

I don’t think Slim is a bad player at all. I’m sure I’ve written before that he has this knack of scoring goals even when he looks to be ‘off form’. 

But he’s never seemed to ‘fit’ at City has he? And that’s not only under one manager, it’s under three.

In this way, he’s been a bad signing for the club surely? I didn’t know myself that he’s not played more than 2 consecutive games for us. That’s a stat that tells it’s own story.

The question now is do we keep him IF there are decent offers for him?

Personally I’d sell him. I think Kelechi has got real promise, he’s much younger and Shinji generally plays before Slim anyway.

I think too, i just got carried away by the other posts I read on this thread.

Yeah you're right, at this point I frankly don't believe anymore that it will ever work. The club goes above everything else, too bad though.

• Like 1

He certainly doesn't look the best striker in the world but lets just look at some stats:

Vardy:

2016/17 2810 mins played, 13 goals, 5 assists

2017/18 1909 mins played, 9 goals, 1 assist

That's a total of 1 goal contribution every 168 mins.

Slimani:

2016/17 1280 mins played, 7 goals, 4 assists

2017/18 241 mins played, 1 goal 1 assist

That's a total of 1 goal contribution every 117mins

All stats are from whoscored.com and are from Premier League matches only. This also does not take into account the fact that Vardy has scored a considerable number of penalties over the last two seasons. The result is very surprising and certainly proves that the amount of criticism Slimani gets is wrong. May not be the most pleasing player on the eye and may not make the contribution to the team that Vardy does but the stats do not lie!

45 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Slimani is incredibly limited as a footballer. He's uncomfortable on the ball and even against Fleetwood looked second best too many times. Makes me wince each time you think of what we paid - criminal. 

lol.

12 hours ago, Cockyfox said:

He certainly doesn't look the best striker in the world but lets just look at some stats:

Vardy:

2016/17 2810 mins played, 13 goals, 5 assists

2017/18 1909 mins played, 9 goals, 1 assist

That's a total of 1 goal contribution every 168 mins.

Slimani:

2016/17 1280 mins played, 7 goals, 4 assists

2017/18 241 mins played, 1 goal 1 assist

That's a total of 1 goal contribution every 117mins

All stats are from whoscored.com and are from Premier League matches only. This also does not take into account the fact that Vardy has scored a considerable number of penalties over the last two seasons. The result is very surprising and certainly proves that the amount of criticism Slimani gets is wrong. May not be the most pleasing player on the eye and may not make the contribution to the team that Vardy does but the stats do not lie!

All stats lie, Slimani's league goals have been against Burnley, West Brom, Middlesbrough (pen), West Ham, Sunderland, Everton and Huddersfield. The majority being headers.

Vardy's goals in that period were against United, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Captain... said:

All stats lie, Slimani's league goals have been against Burnley, West Brom, Middlesbrough (pen), West Ham, Sunderland, Everton and Huddersfield. The majority being headers.

Vardy's goals in that period were against United, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc

That could be another way of saying 'Vardy struggles to score against the lesser teams (perhaps due to the way they set up against us). It's useful to have another option, although it's a shame headers aren't real goals'.

In the last four league games against United, Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal (can't find the details for etc) Slimani has had 0 minutes, 7 minutes, 16 minutes and 0 minutes respectively. I wonder why he hasn't scored...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Lol, maybe it has something to do with Slim not playing against those or having just a couple of minutes? Jesus...

Edited by ZeGuy

Why can't  people just accept some rate him others don't? He is definitely the Marmite of this team but paying £29 million for this particular jar of Marmite is understandably leaving a bad taste in some mouths and leaving him open for harsher examination and criticism!

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

That could be another way of saying 'Vardy struggles to score against the lesser teams (perhaps due to the way they set up against us). It's useful to have another option, although it's a shame headers aren't real goals'.

In the last four league games against United, Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal (can't find the details for etc) Slimani has had 0 minutes, 7 minutes, 16 minutes and 0 minutes respectively. I wonder why he hasn't scored...

I wonder why he hasn't played that many minutes? :P

I'm not knocking Slim, just those stats that prove nothing, all his goals last season apart from the pen and the everton goal were headers which owed as much to the cross as his head. His goals this season have been better and  no headers, his first against Sheff United and a screamer against Liverpool and really deft finish against Huddersfield.

He isn't shite, but he doesn't look a good fit, and I wasn't impressed with his reaction to being subbed against Fleetwood. I think it is time for him to move on mainly because I don't think he really wants to be here.

35 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I wonder why he hasn't played that many minutes? :P

I'm not knocking Slim, just those stats that prove nothing, all his goals last season apart from the pen and the everton goal were headers which owed as much to the cross as his head. His goals this season have been better and  no headers, his first against Sheff United and a screamer against Liverpool and really deft finish against Huddersfield.

He isn't shite, but he doesn't look a good fit, and I wasn't impressed with his reaction to being subbed against Fleetwood. I think it is time for him to move on mainly because I don't think he really wants to be here.

are you serious??? i thought the stupid penalties not counting was bad enough but you've topped that with this absolutely retarded comment.

unreal

25 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

are you serious??? i thought the stupid penalties not counting was bad enough but you've topped that with this absolutely retarded comment.

unreal

Yes I'm serious, headers, whilst a skill in themselves, owe as much to the delivery as the finish. You can't score a header if you don't get decent service. Again if you remember this is a direct response to someone comparing his stats to Vardy. Vardy creates chances for himself and his goals are often more than just a one touch finish. He uses his pace, touch, strength, tenacity, dribbling and finishing. Slimani is a very good at heading the ball, but if you don't provide him the service he isn't going to score. You could easily argue that it is our sometimes woeful crossing that has meant he hasn't scored more.

You can't compare Slimani getting 7 headers against weak opposition to Vardy's scoring record, you just can't compare Vardy and Slimani they are very different players with different strengths and playing styles. Trotting off their respective goals per minutes records as proof of anything is redundant, it is like comparing Ndidi's tackling stats with Iborra's.

32 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Yes I'm serious, headers, whilst a skill in themselves, owe as much to the delivery as the finish. You can't score a header if you don't get decent service. Again if you remember this is a direct response to someone comparing his stats to Vardy. Vardy creates chances for himself and his goals are often more than just a one touch finish. He uses his pace, touch, strength, tenacity, dribbling and finishing. Slimani is a very good at heading the ball, but if you don't provide him the service he isn't going to score. You could easily argue that it is our sometimes woeful crossing that has meant he hasn't scored more.

You can't compare Slimani getting 7 headers against weak opposition to Vardy's scoring record, you just can't compare Vardy and Slimani they are very different players with different strengths and playing styles. Trotting off their respective goals per minutes records as proof of anything is redundant, it is like comparing Ndidi's tackling stats with Iborra's.

Yea right. Most of Vardy goals are threw balls that he just needs to run alone and finish 1vs1. Of course he has some nice goals, but so does Slimani.

15 minutes ago, Captain... said:

'Vardy...goals are often more than just a one touch finish. He uses his pace, touch, strength, tenacity, dribbling and finishing'

He uses finishing to finish eh? Fiendish...  As for dribbling - when did Vardy every dribble before scoring? Or for that matter use his strength and tenacity prior to scoring (at least, any more than Slim does)? Go on, I'll give you pace. 

If it's so easy to score against weak opposition, why isn't Vardy doing it more, in more minutes on the pitch?

4 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

'Vardy...goals are often more than just a one touch finish. He uses his pace, touch, strength, tenacity, dribbling and finishing'

He uses finishing to finish eh? Fiendish...  As for dribbling - when did Vardy every dribble before scoring? Or for that matter use his strength and tenacity prior to scoring (at least, any more than Slim does)? Go on, I'll give you pace. 

If it's so easy to score against weak opposition, why isn't Vardy doing it more, in more minutes on the pitch?

Spot on. I think he is talking about other Vardy, not Jamie Vardy from Leicester City.

Edited by Eagle10

19 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Go see his stats my friend, and then you can talk. If you were just trying to be funny, sorry but you failed.

Stats are bullsh*t mate you can make them suit whatever you want them to,I go to every home game and have seen him every time he has played live.If you only see the good bits on tv you could make anyone look good like all the youtube ones that make Donkeys look like Thoroughbred Race Horses.He isn't totally Sh*t but he is not Premier League standard he is Championship/Scottish Prem.

Hopefully he'll be gone soon so this debate will be over.

• Like 3