Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

33 minutes ago, Manini said:

ASDA have upped their offering and are now selling Paulaner, Bitburger, Veltins and Lowenbrau for anyone who’s interested. The one by me is anyway, assume it’s nationwide. 

Nice I love Bitburger but haven’t seen it for ages. 

On 17/07/2021 at 23:37, Costock_Fox said:

Had a bottle of Strawberry Stars by Vault City, might be the best ever. I’ll be pissing glitter for a week and it’s all of my dreams come true.

Vault City doing a tap takeover and meet the brewer at brew in Ashby on 7th October. Thought I better mention it to you. Although I was going to have a month off for Stoptober. 

Edited by Unabomber

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Vault City doing a tap takeover and meet the brewer at brew in Ashby on 7th October. Thought I better mention it to you. Although I was going to have a month off for Stoptober. 

Oh nice one, I’ve got about 3 weeks to get my taste back. Cheers for the heads up.

8 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Oh nice one, I’ve got about 3 weeks to get my taste back. Cheers for the heads up.

Sold out already. But I assume they will have different VC beers on over the weekend etc. Sucks about your taste still being gone mate that’s mental. 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 18:50, Manini said:

More and more gaffs in Leeds doing Krusovice on draft at the minute and I’m really pleased about it. It would be my favourite beer but apparently it blows my head off for some reason. 

Had that in Prague years ago. Then our wedding venue allowed us to choose one guest beer and Krusovice was available, no brainer. Big fan of Czech lagers, although Pilsner is a unique one (very bitter). The best beer I had in Prague was some sort of honey beer that I drank in a nice restaurant. Food and drink was exceptional. Will try and find the name if I can.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Out of the 4 listed that would be my last choice. Still an OK drink but definitely Paulaner or Lowenbraeu, then Veltins. Try those if you haven't already.

Yeah I have and like them all. I think the bitburger is more cos I have fond memories drinking it at a place near me which no longer have it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Out of the 4 listed that would be my last choice. Still an OK drink but definitely Paulaner or Lowenbraeu, then Veltins. Try those if you haven't already.

Which is the most popular “mainstream” if that’s the right word, German beer, in your opinion? A few guys I know swear by Augustina, I’m yet to try it but waiting to empty my fridge before I order some online. 

Had that in Prague years ago. Then our wedding venue allowed us to choose one guest beer and Krusovice was available, no brainer. Big fan of Czech lagers, although Pilsner is a unique one (very bitter). The best beer I had in Prague was some sort of honey beer that I drank in a nice restaurant. Food and drink was exceptional. Will try and find the name if I can.

It’s really nice, I’m really glad it’s more available nowadays in the UK. Budvar is another nice easy drink that’s readily available at the minute too. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

It’s really nice, I’m really glad it’s more available nowadays in the UK. Budvar is another nice easy drink that’s readily available at the minute too. 

I went to Aldi last night to have a look but they didn’t have any of the decent beers you mentioned but they had 12 bottles of Budvar for £11 which is a bargain. 

Edited by Unabomber

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I went to Aldi last night to have a look but they didn’t have any of the decent beers you mentioned but they had 12 bottles of Budvar for £11 which is a bargain. 

ASDA for the German ones mate. Aldi is an absolute godsend for ale though. Also, underrated spot for beer, B&M, always a bit more expensive but you find some really mad European beers in there - like a litre of Faxe for about £2 

Edited by Manini

Which is the most popular “mainstream” if that’s the right word, German beer, in your opinion? A few guys I know swear by Augustina, I’m yet to try it but waiting to empty my fridge before I order some online. 

As in the common beer to drink in Germany? Or the one most supermarkets sell here and people buy?

Augustiner is a great beer. It is one of the 5/6 big breweries in Munich. My favourite Munich beer is probably Spaten or Ayinger (but rare to non-existent here). Then there is Augustiner, Loewenbraeu and Paulaner which are available here.

Bitburger/Becks/Krombacher seem to be the big German beers commonly sold here, not many drink those in Germany. Most people drink local beers simply because every town/village has a local brewery close by. So the choice is vast and unless you travel around every area, hard to sample everything. Due to the brewing laws, there are very little differences in most beers, hence they all generally taste good.

In my home town area, Altbier (dark brown beer, very malty) is the thing. Duesseldorf having many of those breweries.

• Like 1

ASDA for the German ones mate. Aldi is an absolute godsend for ale though. Also, underrated spot for beer, B&M, always a bit more expensive but you find some really mad European beers in there - like a litre of Faxe for about £2 

Aldi and Lidl also (albeit a much smaller selection than Aldi) have great ales. I go to Lidl so get their ales brewed by Hatherwood I think. IPA or Golden Ale usually my go to although the Ruby is nice too.

• Like 1

Wheat beers then, not for me. Too heavy. Don't drink stouts either. Assuming you like them, you must like Belgian beers too?

Big fan of Belgian beers, don’t mind stouts but don’t have them often. Yeah I love the wheat beers by those 2 breweries but atm I’m mainly in to U.K. ipas.