Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

13 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

A pint of Verdant 300 Laps Of Your Garden

The Brewhouse at Melbourne Hall is a cracking craft beer spot. Anyone living locally should check it out 

I live quite close to Melbourne and hadn’t even heard of that place, cheers will check it out. Have you been to brew ashby? I keep banging on about that place but it is absolutely class and the best for craft beer in Leicestershire I think. 

43 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I live quite close to Melbourne and hadn’t even heard of that place, cheers will check it out. Have you been to brew ashby? I keep banging on about that place but it is absolutely class and the best for craft beer in Leicestershire I think. 

It is attached to a bottle shop as well (stable ales) 

The one is Ashby is great. 

Assume you've been to the Milking Parlour? 

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

It is attached to a bottle shop as well (stable ales) 

The one is Ashby is great. 

Assume you've been to the Milking Parlour? 

Yeah been to the milking parlour a few times. There’s a decent walk from Ashby to it which was good over the summer. 

15 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Pivni is a great shout. One of my favourite places when I lived there.

Fossgate social is a small modern place with a good choice of pint bang in the centre. The hop next door is decent, does live music (or used to anyway) and great pizza too. They're on the same road Brew York is on so easy enough to pop in if you're heading to BY anyway.

The Habit and Eagle & Child are both decent, more contemporary and very central. 

If you want a couple of "old man pubs" (I use the term fondly) that are quieter and off the beaten track, any of the below are good local pubs. A couple of them are outside the City walls but really they're not very far from anything given how big York is.

The Phoenix by Fishergate Bar

The Wellington Inn (literally a terraced house, does Sam Smith's. Worth it for 1 pint just to see what it's like)

Golden Ball

The Swan

@ousefoxmay have some suggestions.

I went to Pivni for the first time in ages on Friday. Really enjoyed it. I can also be found in the Habit nearly every week - nice atmosphere and can easily get chatting to people. All the other suggestions are spot on and would recommend all of them - although I'm avoiding Sam Smith pubs cos the owners an arsehole.

I'd add.

Market Cat - go upstairs and you get a great view of the Minster.

The Black Swan - gorgeous old pub.

Golden Fleece.

Would also recommend the Rook and Gaskill and Wagon and Horses which are a 5 min walk from the centre.

Let me know if you want any other York tips including food!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ousefox said:

I went to Pivni for the first time in ages on Friday. Really enjoyed it. I can also be found in the Habit nearly every week - nice atmosphere and can easily get chatting to people. All the other suggestions are spot on and would recommend all of them - although I'm avoiding Sam Smith pubs cos the owners an arsehole.

I'd add.

Market Cat - go upstairs and you get a great view of the Minster.

The Black Swan - gorgeous old pub.

Golden Fleece.

Would also recommend the Rook and Gaskill and Wagon and Horses which are a 5 min walk from the centre.

Let me know if you want any other York tips including food!

That’s great cheers mate. We are now deciding on where to eat, we are only there for one night so where’s the best place in your opinion? 

22 hours ago, Unabomber said:

That’s great cheers mate. We are now deciding on where to eat, we are only there for one night so where’s the best place in your opinion? 

Depends what you're into.

Mumbai Lounge for Indian.

Italian: Delrios, IL Paradiso, Little Italy

Thai: Phranakhon

Nepalese (would recommend as something different): Yak and Yeti

Then pub grub can be found at most of the above. Also just to warn you, pint prices have gone mental in this city. Not sure if it's the same in Leicester. But I've spent £6.50 on multiple occasions recently and it's making me feel sick.

26 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Depends what you're into.

Mumbai Lounge for Indian.

Italian: Delrios, IL Paradiso, Little Italy

Thai: Phranakhon

Nepalese (would recommend as something different): Yak and Yeti

Then pub grub can be found at most of the above. Also just to warn you, pint prices have gone mental in this city. Not sure if it's the same in Leicester. But I've spent £6.50 on multiple occasions recently and it's making me feel sick.

Thanks I’ll have a look. Indian could be good. Beer price is what it is and happy enough to pay it as will be good to be somewhere different. 

Have you been to Ambiente? It’s Tapas and looks good.

36 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Thanks I’ll have a look. Indian could be good. Beer price is what it is and happy enough to pay it as will be good to be somewhere different. 

Have you been to Ambiente? It’s Tapas and looks good.

I personally think Ambiente is a bit crap and overrated. I've had plenty of proper tapas in Spain though so maybe I'm bias, but I'd avoid.

19 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Had a pint in the ground last night and it was rank. How people regularly pay £5+ for that toss is baffling 

They should sell big cans or something. Would take away all the pissing about with kegs and pouring them and would also taste better. 

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

What’s your specific reasoning? I ask because it’s really dependent on what area of Birmingham you want to visit Una 

We are just going to the centre for the day to do a bit of shopping in December. So ideally would stay in the main central part. We will be looking to get beers and lunch at some point. 

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Hi guys, any recommendations for good places in Birmingham for beer/food? 

Can't go wrong with Post Office Vaults, especially that time of year. Had some proper Belgian Christmas beers on when I went there after Villa away two years ago.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Can't go wrong with Post Office Vaults, especially that time of year. Had some proper Belgian Christmas beers on when I went there after Villa away two years ago.

Nice one been there a few times before and will define my try and squeeze in a visit. 

• Like 1